The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and 737 NG autopilot

Hi Peter,

I'm using a Precision Flight Control console and avionics for my CBT.

PFC and Flight Simulator 2002 are connected together via FSUIPC and PFC.Dll. Everything is Ok with the software I used until now, but with new 737 NG I can not use autopilot and others. I hope that with FS2004 and the new FSUIPC you will try to resolve this trouble. 737 NG is the best 737 flight model. It should be a pity to not use it with external hardware. I think many simmers are in my situation. I wrote tha same to Bob Randazzo (PMDG), but without Peter Dowson's FSUIPC nothing is possible.

Thanks again for all,

Ciao

G.D.C.

I'm using a Precision Flight Control console and avionics for my CBT.

PFC and Flight Simulator 2002 are connected together via FSUIPC and PFC.Dll. Everything is Ok with the software I used until now, but with new 737 NG I can not use autopilot and others. I hope that with FS2004 and the new FSUIPC you will try to resolve this trouble.

If the 737NG programmers have made their own autopilot with no provision for external control and igniring the normal controls then there is no possibility. A "new" FSUIPC and FS2004 has nothing to do with it. It is really up to programmers of aircraft to consider those with home-built cockpits as well as those with ready built controls like PFC.

If the 737NG programmers have provided an interface for external control, as, for instance, Project Magenta did, then by all means I will consider adding support for it to the PFC driver. But this is nothing to do with FSUIPC or FS2004, and I will certainly not have time to consider it until well after FS2004 release.

Have you asked the PMDG folks? Is it documented?

It sounds as if you need to use their fine model (visual and flight) but substitute a standard FS panel/autopilot so that you can use the controls.

If you find out otherwise, let us know. I am always interested in good 737 models, especially NG, even if I won't have time to deal with them for a while.

Regards,

Pete

Gents (and Katy? ;-) )

We at PMDG have made a very earnest effort to address all such external hardware requests. I am working actively with Andrew Mc Lean to get our aircraft working with the MCP747, as Andrew has been kind enough to send me a sample of his hardware, for development & testing purposes.

We have also been contacted by Mike Altman regarding the PFC hardware, however everytime I replied to him, my reply went ignored or unanswered (don't know why - I know he receives the emails, as I never get any bounce-back about it).

The Go-Flight hardware developers, on the other hand, have never attempted to contact PMDG or me personally, so I have no clue about that.

I can ONLY provide responsible and forthcoming help and support to those hardware vendors who are willing to provide me with test hardware to work with - it's unfortunate, but without working hardware, I cannot program something that "might" or "might not" work correctly.

Hope that everyone understands PMDG's position on this one! :-)

Best regards,

We have also been contacted by Mike Altman regarding the PFC hardware, however everytime I replied to him, my reply went ignored or unanswered

He gets about quite a bit, he usually answers but it may take a few days. However, you should know that I currently provide the driver for PFC hardware into FS, and will be able to do so for your panel when you are able to supply interface information.

Thanks,

Pete

I might add that a keyboard control interface would likely serve the broadest span of users as an initial effort, given that PFC and many other devices can be programmed to generate keystrokes that could be mapped to panel keyboard controls.

No hardware beyond a PC keyboard should be required for that.

Regards

I might add that a keyboard control interface would likely serve the broadest span of users as an initial effort, given that PFC and many other devices can be programmed to generate keystrokes that could be mapped to panel keyboard controls.

Yes, it would be a start, but it isn't satisfactory. The earlier edition (pre 1.3) of 767PIC had only a keyboard interface, and programming the PFC (or other) rotaries to increment and decrement the A/P values reliably was precarious to say the least. I suppose that a separate control for each decimal digit would do the trick, though even then it is so easy to get an overrun if there's the slightest hesitation in the acceptance of the keypresses. 767PIC is notoriously bad with keyboard only.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete;

I agree...keyboard control is not a suitable stopping point, but I do suggest it to PMDG as a first step due to its commonality across many different types of input devices. I would very much like to see them work with you to make their controls accessible from the PFC module.

Also, for Lefteris, if you're reading this thread still, I'd suggest cc: copies of your e-mails to eric@flypfc.com Bart and Mike and the rest of the gang seem to check that one regularly since it's listed as the tech support e-mail address on their site.

Regards