The simFlight Network Forums

Could some one please try this for me

Hi I am setting up a cockpit using Open Cockpits cards

I wanted to use a switch to open and close the ATC window in FSX ( like the ' key does at the momment )

In FSX, choosing addons,FSUIPC and selecting button presses allowed me the choice of

assigning a key to :-

ATC

ATC Menu Open

ATC Menu Closed

menu option items 0-9

I found that assigning a key to Either ATC or ATC Menu Open would open the ARTC window

but no matter which key I assigned to ATC Menu closed , when I pressed it the menu refused to go from the screen

Could some one please try assigning a key press to ATC Menu Close on their computer and tell me if it works for them , which could either suggest I have a problem with my setup or thats its a quirk in FSUIPC or most likely that I am trying to do something incorrectly

Maybe some one knows a way round this ?

Don

I found that assigning a key to Either ATC or ATC Menu Open would open the ARTC window

but no matter which key I assigned to ATC Menu closed , when I pressed it the menu refused to go from the screen

Maybe some one knows a way round this ?

I really don't know the ATC Menu Open and Close controls. The normal keyboard control, (actioned by the ' key, I think, or is it the #?) would be the one called just "ATC", which is a toggle. Have you tried simply using that to both open and close the menu?

Just because an FS control is listed in FS's "CONTROLS.DLL" (and therefore included automatically in FSUIPC's drop-down assignments list) doesn't mean it actually works, I'm afraid. There's a long history of such entries not being implemented or having been omitted in subsequent releases but never deleted from the table.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter

Thank you for answering my email , You are of course quite right that I can simply use the # key for both

open and close , I only asked for help because having seen the close atc command in the list and having

tried it and failed I was worried that my instalation of FSX or even FSUIPC had developed a fault.

I assumed as there is a close option in the list that it should work. I didnt realise not everything in the list

is implemented. From what you say it sounds like there of lots of these non working entries

Regards

Don

I only asked for help because having seen the close atc command in the list and having tried it and failed I was worried that my instalation of FSX or even FSUIPC had developed a fault.

Unlikely. The process of assigning an FS control and sending it to FSX is the same for all those FS controls actually listed, and the list is from a table in CONTROLS.DLL, part of FS. If it was going wrong for one it would go wrong for all.

In actual fact, this particular control (ATC Menu Close) does work, as I've now had a chance to verify! I tested it by assigning it to a button, not to a keypress. I'm thinking now that you assigned it to a keypress and what is actually happening is that when the ATC window is open, it is "stealing" the keypress indications before FSUIPC manages to see them, or at least it is altering some of them so they don't get recognised.

There is a known problem in this area. When the ATC window is open, none of the Num-Pad based keypresses for actually flying the aircraft work (throttle, trim, aileron and elevator). This is a new problem in FSX, and though it was certainly reported to Microsoft long ago it evidently never got to a high enough priority to be fixed.

I may delve deeper to see if it possible for FSUIPC to trap the keys before the ATC window sees them, instead of after. No guarantees though.

I assumed as there is a close option in the list that it should work. I didnt realise not everything in the list is implemented. From what you say it sounds like there of lots of these non working entries

Well, for FSX I don't really know. Many of the controls date back to FS98/FS2000 days. In fact a large number were added in that phase of FS development thanks to "Beatle", a friendly Microsoft guy who does post in these and Avsim Forums from time to time. He left after FS2000 and only rejoined relatively recently and in the intervening period I'm afraid a few of his additions "lapsed" in terms of implementation internally.

The problem for me is simply finding the time to test them all, and then understanding whether they worked or not -- which in some rather obscure cases is not so easy. So, I gave up trying to document them that far, and leave it as a trial-and-error process for those with time and knowledge.

Regards

Pete

I only asked for help because having seen the close atc command in the list and having tried it and failed I was worried that my instalation of FSX or even FSUIPC had developed a fault.

Unlikely. The process of assigning an FS control and sending it to FSX is the same for all those FS controls actually listed, and the list is from a table in CONTROLS.DLL, part of FS. If it was going wrong for one it would go wrong for all.

In actual fact, this particular control (ATC Menu Close) does work, as I've now had a chance to verify! I tested it by assigning it to a button, not to a keypress. I'm thinking now that you assigned it to a keypress and what is actually happening is that when the ATC window is open, it is "stealing" the keypress indications before FSUIPC manages to see them, or at least it is altering some of them so they don't get recognised.

There is a known problem in this area. When the ATC window is open, none of the Num-Pad based keypresses for actually flying the aircraft work (throttle, trim, aileron and elevator). This is a new problem in FSX, and though it was certainly reported to Microsoft long ago it evidently never got to a high enough priority to be fixed.

I may delve deeper to see if it possible for FSUIPC to trap the keys before the ATC window sees them, instead of after. No guarantees though.

I assumed as there is a close option in the list that it should work. I didnt realise not everything in the list is implemented. From what you say it sounds like there of lots of these non working entries

Well, for FSX I don't really know. Many of the controls date back to FS98/FS2000 days. In fact a large number were added in that phase of FS development thanks to "Beatle", a friendly Microsoft guy who does post in these and Avsim Forums from time to time. He left after FS2000 and only rejoined relatively recently and in the intervening period I'm afraid a few of his additions "lapsed" in terms of implementation internally.

The problem for me is simply finding the time to test them all, and then understanding whether they worked or not -- which in some rather obscure cases is not so easy. So, I gave up trying to document them that far, and leave it as a trial-and-error process for those with time and knowledge.

[LATER]

Well, it was easier than I thought! I managed to hook into the ATC window and get the keystrokes before it processes them, so i can now make FSUIPC keypress assignments work all the time!

This improvement will be in the next interim version, probably 4.218. Look in the FSX Downloads Announcement above towards the end og the week.

Regards

Pete

This improvement will be in the next interim version, probably 4.218. Look in the FSX Downloads Announcement above towards the end og the week.

Thats great news Peter, I look forwards to downloading it, and thank you for taking the trouble to sort it out,

Can I ask you one more small question., although it may sound quite a dumb question.

A few days back I was looking for the offset for the fuel tank selector ( right tank, left tank, centre etc )

and when I couldnt find it you reported back that it was easy to search for and that it was the second item

that came up, and maybe I should review my searching technique.

The fact you could search for it suggests to me that you are looking into a different list than I am. I had been

looking for it in FS-Interogate which doesnt seem to have a search key and so I did it the hard way by manually

looking through the list one line at a time, hence why I didnt find it. Could you tell me which list I should be

using when I search for an offset?

Regards

Don

Regards

Don

... you are looking into a different list than I am. I had been

looking for it in FS-Interogate which doesnt seem to have a search key and so I did it the hard way by manually looking through the list one line at a time, hence why I didnt find it. Could you tell me which list I should be using when I search for an offset?

FSInterrogate is a tool for monitoring values and trying things out. It is NOT intended as "documentation" nor a list! The only list and documentation which should be used is the one provided in the SDK, a DOC or PDF file. I spend a lot of time making sure that it is not only up to date but as detailed as it needs to be for folks to use and understand "offsets".

The main FSUIPC SDK is available from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson , and the documentation is the "Programmer's Guide" therein. There's an FSX update and "progress report" for the offset list in the SDK addendum available in the FSX Downloads Announcement above.

I've really no idea how the notion that FSinterrogate is the prime reference comes about. Isn't it clear that it is merely a tool for experimentation and verification?

Regards

Pete