The simFlight Network Forums

4.217 AFCS problems

A couple of abrupt direction changes, but these were at the wind layers 18000 and 24000. I was watching Weatherset2 and the winds were consistent with what it was reporting. Those layers had 30 degree direction changes and the wind direction jumped immediately at the wind layer altitude.

Hmm. That shouldn't happen though, unless the layers were marked to be "shear", which is not usual or had such variance allowed (which I assumed they had not or, having looked at WeatherSet2 you'd have remarked). I'll see if I can find out what is happening there. I don't suppose you saved a Flight for me?

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I do have a save of the flight at the moment before takeoff. I can send it to you if you think it may help. I am using weather from ASX from a couple of days ago at San Francisco in the rain and some windy condtions on climb. The shifts I mentioned were climbing out in a northerly direction from the airport at 18k and 24k feet.

Kyle

I do have a save of the flight at the moment before takeoff. I can send it to you if you think it may help. I am using weather from ASX from a couple of days ago at San Francisco in the rain and some windy condtions on climb. The shifts I mentioned were climbing out in a northerly direction from the airport at 18k and 24k feet.

Well I can probably set that up without a flight from you. I'd need to fly my 737-700 as my ASX is rigged up only for my cockpit which is a 737 not a 747 -- too many changes. I won't have time till next week, but I'll try to remember: KSFO headed, what, towards KSEA, with the weather from, say 1700Z on 23rd Jan '08?

Do you use the AutoSave option at all? If you do and can set it for a save every, say, 2 or 3 minutes, then if you do get the same thing again -- i.e. a sudden directional shift NOT explained by the wind variance value -- please make a note of the PC's system time and go save me a copy of the FLT + WX AutoSave files from the nearest time beforehand. This would be the most efficient way for me to find out what is happening.

Regards

Pete

That is the setup--Date/time was 21 Jan @ 2350Z.

I used to use autosave with FS9 due to frequent CTDs. FSX has been real stable so far, so I have not turned it on yet.

If you don't get a chance to look at the flight setup I mentioned--no worries. The shifts that I noticed were still much less than default.

Kyle

If you don't get a chance to look at the flight setup I mentioned--no worries. The shifts that I noticed were still much less than default.

Well, I'll do some more testing and try to find it next week.

Meanwhile I'm releasing 4.219, which fixes a problem stopping 4.218 being used without FSX SP2 or Acceleration, and also, hopefully, improves the simulation of turbulence in my wind smoothing stuff. I've tried to make turbulence introduce fast but small variations in all three directions.

I've got to get my cockpit up to date next week then do some proper "flight testing". Everything I've done so far has been on my development PC, so no real flying of any consequence.

Regards

Pete