The simFlight Network Forums

Baro setting help

Hi Pete,

I have a issue where offset 5418 bit pair 14/15 affects my baro setting. In this case Offset 5418 bit pair 14/15 is the V/S setting for PM MCP. When offset 5418 bit 15 is accessed my baro setting goes to 29.91 regardless of where it was previously set.

At the moment I am using fs2phidgets and a phidget encoder to do the v/s settings. All other bit pairs on this offset work fine just bit 15 is a problem.

I have looked at the fsuipc logs and broken it down to just reads and writes and I cant find anywhere where the baro offset is written.

Could you tell me what offset would specifically write 29.91 to the baro setting so I know what to look for in the logs.

Here's a excerpt of an email I sent Enrico,

When I use offset 5418 bit pair 14/15 (V/S Increase) my baro resets to

29.91 and the map on the ND display flips sideways with the text being

vertical instead of horizontal then back again. It also affects the CRS as

well subtracting a degree for each increase of the v/s.

I have done heaps of fsuipc logs to see if there was something in there

writing to other offsets when the V/S offset was being used and I cant seem

to find anything that would be doing this.

Thanks

Jeff

I have a issue where offset 5418 bit pair 14/15 affects my baro setting. In this case Offset 5418 bit pair 14/15 is the V/S setting for PM MCP. When offset 5418 bit 15 is accessed my baro setting goes to 29.91 regardless of where it was previously set.

Sounds like you are operating the "STD" BARO push button instead -- 5414 bits 18/19 seem to be assigned for that (but only on the Airbus?).

Hmm: 5414,185418,14. You haven't got some digits mixed up in the details to your driver, have you?

Could you tell me what offset would specifically write 29.91 to the baro setting

There is none in FS. To set STD on the BARO setting an application would have to send the value, in 1/16ths of an hPA, to the Kollsman offset, 0330, or send the FS control "KOHLSMAN SET" (MS spelled Kollsman incorrectly) with the parameter set to the same value.

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply Pete.

I am afraid I cant see into Alan's programming of fs2phidgets. I was just looking for something specific to help him chase down a problem for me.

I could understand if it was going to 29.92, but 29.91 is just wierd, and that it also affects the PMRJ ND screen as well, and the HSI, seems to me it might be something internal with PMRJ.

I was thinking that it may be a fs2phidget problem of writing to the wrong offsets, but if it only writes to offset 5418 bit 15, then it must be the way PMRJ handles it internally.

Thanks

Jeff

Ps I will do some more logging and see what I can dig up.

I could understand if it was going to 29.92, but 29.91 is just wierd

That might be related to rounding during conversion -- the internals are all in 1/16ths of an hPA. Monitor offset 0330 (FSUIPC logging options page, right-hand-side, offset 0330, type U16). Standard 1013.2 should be something around 16210-16212.

and that it also affects the PMRJ ND screen as well, and the HSI, seems to me it might be something internal with PMRJ.

Well, those bits are odd, yes, but you'd need to see what other PM offsets were getting written in the logs.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

just a quick update.

I went through the logs and pick out the offsets that are being written, then monitored each one. Off all the offsets I look at, the following were the ones affected by offset 5418.

0330 is set to 16208 when offset 5418 bit 15 is written to.

04F4 cycles between value 3 and 102 when offset 5418 bit 15 is written to. <--- this seems to cause my ND issues.

5524 cycles between value 1 and 2 when offset 5418 bit 15 is written to.

Other than 0330 the other 2 offsets are PM ones, which explains my ND issues.

On a side note I set offset 5418 bit 14/15 to joystick button to see if there was a difference. When using the button I have none of the current issues.

Jeff

0330 is set to 16208 when offset 5418 bit 15 is written to.

Well that explains your 29.91 (16208/16 = 1013.0 hPA).

On a side note I set offset 5418 bit 14/15 to joystick button to see if there was a difference. When using the button I have none of the current issues.

Not exactly a side note -- that is a definite clue. The problem must surely be down to the software which is changing 5418 bit 15whatever is reading that change has no way of telling whether it was changed by a Button press or by some other software. Earlier you said

I was thinking that it may be a fs2phidget problem of writing to the wrong offsets, but if it only writes to offset 5418 bit 15, then it must be the way PMRJ handles it internally.

so this latest finding must presumably point quite definitely to the fs2phidget side, as PMRJ will be the same no matter how you set the bit -- or is something in PM reading the hardware directly as well?

Regards

Pete

Update No2

Enrico got back to me.

It seems offset 5418 is a bit outdated and there are other offsets to use.

Enrico mentioned 540C for V/s instead of 5418 bit 14/15. Bit 15 seems to be a tricky thing to handle.

Seems also offsets 5406, 5408, 540A, and 540E are used as well.

Time to bark up another tree I guess :)

Thanks

Jeff

It seems offset 5418 is a bit outdated and there are other offsets to use.

Enrico mentioned 540C for V/s instead of 5418 bit 14/15.

"Outdated" meaning "not working" or "not supported", or perhaps both? ;-)

Of course, for 540C it's a direct write of a value rather than an INC or DEC, though I suppose that programming a button you can use FSUIPC's offset word inc and dec controls. You'd need to see if you can do the same from fs2phidgets.

Seems also offsets 5406, 5408, 540A, and 540E are used as well.

Well, they are all MCP values you can set and change, yes. As I say, it depends on the facilities in the interface program you are using.

At the very least, assuming fs2phidgets doesn't have the facilities needed, you could make it operate an FSUIPC virtual button (in offsets 3340 ff), then simply program the button in FSUIPC's options.

Regards

Pete

I sort of got it working with offsets 5406, 5408, 540A, 540C, 540E for the mcp. It is working better with these offsets, though fs2phidgets wont read one value and write to another, so there is a couple of other minor issues.

Thanks for all your help Pete

Jeff