The simFlight Network Forums
Mafiastewe

... out of memory

I read again that you had UT installed. The uninstall of UT does not remove the file scenery\world\scenery\traffic.bgl created by them. This not only means that you load all of their schedules into memory, but also that you cannot see any FSX traffic because FS8 compatibility box gets loaded.

I read again that you had UT installed. The uninstall of UT does not remove the file scenery\world\scenery\traffic.bgl created by them. This not only means that you load all of their schedules into memory, but also that you cannot see any FSX traffic because FS8 compatibility box gets loaded.

so what files should i delete from that then?

delete scenery\world\scenery\traffic.bgl , sometimes it also is called scenery\world\scenery\traffic1.bgl .

Since you didn't tell us yet how much RAM you have in your box, nor which other addons you have, any other recommendation is a guess.

What I can tell you is that Vista uses 400 MB for itself, so if you have 1 GB of RAM FSX could get 600MB only, which requires most sliders on the far left. In comparison, XP SP2 only needs 200MB for itself. If you have 2 GB installed, this difference is of no importance.

Installation of a new OS is a long way to go, and nobody can warrant this to be the solution. Better update FSX to SP1 or SP2, where I prefer SP2, ensure in the system control panel you have enough virtual memory, 2 GB at least, and chose the sliders that let you run FSX smoothly.

But if you have the problem that your system partition is overcrowded and you have maybe a fresh disk around for a fresh install, use Vista SP1 case your hardware is really Vista ready, which means a dual core Intel Core 2 or a faster dual core AMD, 2 GB of RAM, a fast SATA disk and a good GPU, miminum Geforce 8600GT resp. ATI 2600XT. Otherwise use XP SP2. I myself have both systems installed, but find myself under XP 95% of the time just because it is so much faster and more reliable.

... I tried but i cant get FSX SP2 cuse i dont have SP1-A for which you need standard edtition. I could try to upgrade to Vista SP1 if you think that would work. Or I could downgrade to XP-SP2 (It dosent matter cause not really a fan of Vista.) But I do have one Question if I were to downgrade: Would I have to reinstall everything (ex: FSX MTX Firefox and Mp3 Rocket) or not?

Dont forget to keep in mind that i have just over 2gb's of ram.

If you have 2 GB, there is no reason to go to XP. FSX SP1 is available from http://www.fsinsider.com . With 2 GB of RAM and some free system disk partition ( or if you have another disk, a pagefile on that other disk ) , an "out of memory" should not appear unless there is a bug. FSX SP0 is known to have such bugs.

You cannot downgrade an OS, only make a new install on a fresh formatted partition.

Mafiastewe:

What are your computer specs, are you running FSX SP2 and what are your FSX settings for traffic and graphics? Did you apply the modification to increase your virtual address space? If you don't know what I am talking about, I suggest you go to AVSIM and search the FSX forum for "Out Of Memory." There is one message entitled "OOM Error explained in comprehensible English" I'm not sure it is totally comprehensible, but you should get the idea. This is a very common error message and you probably need to do what it says -- reduce your settings.

UPS, somehow my reply got lost :cry:

You cannot downgrade an OS, you only can make a fresh new install from scratch, no installed software will run there unless you really install nw from scratch.

My feeling is that, if you did that, you would not run into the problem again, independant of the OS. But SP1 does not require standard edition, so the really first thing to do is update FSX to SP1 - since we know this to remove many bugs, and lower the sliders as has been proposed in several ways already.

I just lost the track. Is my assumption correct that the problem has little to do with MyTraffic, and it is either an interference of MyTraffic with another addon or a know problem outside the MyTraffic world?

Did you find and remove the UT schedules? Did you try my suggestions without the MyTraffic schedules?

Thee OOM error results from running out of virtual memory space. The only relationship to MyTraffic is that AI traffic uses a lot of resources.

Thanks - but FSX with MyTraffic at 100% uses 600-700 MB of RAM only, only about 120MB more than without any AI traffic - at least on my systems...

I suspect the Vista OOM bug reported by Phil Taylor on his blog.

"Vista OOM fix:Must have update from the mother-ship

Aug 28th a fix became available for Vista from the Windows team.

The bits will be made generally available from the link here and relatively detailed KB is attached.

The issue is that Vista was creating an extra copy of graphics memory ( noted by AnandTech here ) and that was causing a pre-mature exhaustion of each process's address space and then the dreaded OOM error. AnandTech reviews this issue further and tests the hotfix here.

Run, don't walk to this download."