The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.26 stops responding

Hello,

I just installed FSUIPC 4.26 for FSX. Now I wanted to assign my Joystick buttons. So I opened FSUIPC via the "ADDON" menu. And here is my problem: As soon as I enter the "Buttons and Switches" menu my FSUIPC stops responding. I cant neither press OK nor Chancel. All other FSUIPC functions, like "Key Assignments",.. operate normal, but as soon as I enter "Buttons and Switches" I have to shutdown my FSX via the Task Manager.

Can anybody help?

Kind regards

Martin

As soon as I enter the "Buttons and Switches" menu my FSUIPC stops responding.

Sounds like either a stuck button (though that is unlikely to stop you exiting), or more likely a bad joystick driver -- most likely one installed for a non-existent game port device. Go to Windows Game Controllers applet in the Control Panel and check. Delete / uninstall any driver referring to hardware you don't actually have.

I also attach a program called "Joyview" which you can run to check your joystick hardware attachments in the same way as FSUIPC is doing. Have a look through each of the entries there. FSUIPC uses "joyGetPosEx" to read the buttons.

Regards

Pete

joyview.zip

Hello Pete,

Thanks for your reply. The interesting thing is that I havent changed anything on my machine since I first installed FSUIPC a few months ago. I just updated FSUIPC to the latest version and wanted to change some key assignments.

I also tried to unplug all control devices (CH Yoke, CH Throttle quadrant and a Logitech steering wheel for rudder pedal use), restarted my PC, fired up FSX and nothing changed. The OK and Chancel buttons stay dead. I also tried to completely uninstall FSUIPC, deleted the FSUIPC.ini and the key file. After the reinstall the problem was still there. I'll try your attached program tonight and let you know if I can nail down the problem.

Kind regards

Martin

The interesting thing is that I havent changed anything on my machine since I first installed FSUIPC a few months ago. I just updated FSUIPC to the latest version and wanted to change some key assignments.

Hmm, that's strange. The method used for button scanning haven't changed at all for a long time. Can you recall which version it was you were previously using?

I also tried to unplug all control devices (CH Yoke, CH Throttle quadrant and a Logitech steering wheel for rudder pedal use), restarted my PC, fired up FSX and nothing changed.

I'm not surprised, as it isn't likely to be due to anything connected, more likely something not connected yet which still has an active driver.

I'll try your attached program tonight and let you know if I can nail down the problem.

Did you first go to Game Controllers and check all the devices/drivers it knows about, as I suggested as a first step?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just checked the Control Manager and there are no non present devices listed. All my three input devices seem to work normal.

All I can remember is that I changed the USB slots where the control devices where plugged in. They where connected via a USB Hub until a few weeks ago. Now, they are connected directly to the mainboard USB connectors.

Is there a way to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSUIPC? I mean a uninstall where no registry entries remain.

Kind regards

Martin

Is there a way to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSUIPC? I mean a uninstall where no registry entries remain.

Uninstall is by deleting FSUIPC4.DLL, and putting it back reinstalls it. There's no registry involvement excepting an encoded Key check for your registration. FSUIPC has never expanded itself all over the place like other programs.

Pete

as it is looking as if it is not a simple matter of a rogue game driver (which is what it has been in the only earlier cases I know of), can I have more information now, please? Originally you said:

As soon as I enter the "Buttons and Switches" menu my FSUIPC stops responding.

By "as soon as" is this when you've pressed the Buttons TAB and before it actually draws the Buttons option dialogue, or after? If after, is there a joystick and button number shown on that screen, or is it blank?

Please edit the FSUIPC4.INI file. Add these lines to the [General] section (this is before running FSX):

Debug=Please

LogExtras=2

LogButtonsKeys=Yes

then run FSX and go to the Buttons option page. When it hangs, terminate FSX as you usually do, then show me the FSUIPC4.LOG file.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

When I press the buttons TAB, the Buttons option dialogue gets drawed as usual, but non of the editable fields reacts. You simply can't edit something on the buttons dialogue. All other dialoges of FSUIPC are working.

Yesterday the complete right collumn of the Buttons dialogue was completely empty. I mean it was just grey with nothing displayed in it.

Ill edit the FSUIPC.ini as mentioned and will show you the LOG file, as soon as I'm home from work.

Kind regards

martin

When I press the buttons TAB, the Buttons option dialogue gets drawed as usual, but non of the editable fields reacts. You simply can't edit something on the buttons dialogue. All other dialoges of FSUIPC are working.

Yesterday the complete right collumn of the Buttons dialogue was completely empty. I mean it was just grey with nothing displayed in it.

Hmmm. That is sounding as if it is more related to some problem with Windows graphics libraries than it is to joystick drivers. What has changed on your system recently? You said this started when you updated to 4.26, but how long before that did you last go into the Buttons tab, and what was your previous version of FSUIPC?

In the past there have been two otherwise apparently unrelated pieces of software which have done strange things like this -- one was Windows Blinds, and the other, strangely, a Kensington Mouse driver. Whatever, the problem in both was fixed by disabling that driver / service in Windows Management. Oddly this had no other effect, that the user's noticed at least.

Also, if you are doing this in FSX full screen mode, try Windowed mode -- or vice versa. If there's a difference it is related to the video drivers.

Ill edit the FSUIPC.ini as mentioned and will show you the LOG file, as soon as I'm home from work.

Okay. Thanks.

Pete

Hi,

So here is my FSUIPC.log file (without my name and E-Mail adress).

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=15

110 System time = 18:55:46

110 FLT UNC path = "C:\Users\Gassa\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"

110 FS UNC path = "D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

2668 LogOptions=00000021

2668 LogExtras=2

2668 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

6865 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61472.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

6865 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

6865 FSUIPC Menu entry added

6911 D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

6911 D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

51169 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"

51902 System time = 18:56:38, FSX time = 12:46:30 (10:46Z)

54273 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

56691 *** Entered Buttons option page ***

56722 ButtonCheck res=1, *pFirst=275 (0.1, 19)

56722 FirstButtonChange res=00000113 (0.1, 19)

I just deleted the previous log file and gave it another try.

Here's the new one

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=15

78 System time = 19:08:21

78 FLT UNC path = "C:\Users\Gassa\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"

78 FS UNC path = "D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

2418 LogOptions=00000021

2418 LogExtras=2

2418 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

6583 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61472.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

6583 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

6583 FSUIPC Menu entry added

6630 D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

6630 D:\games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

65115 System time = 19:09:26, FSX time = 12:46:29 (10:46Z)

65349 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"

70341 *** Entered Buttons option page ***

70372 ButtonCheck res=1, *pFirst=288 (0.1, 32)

70372 FirstButtonChange res=00000120 (0.1, 32)

56691 *** Entered Buttons option page ***

56722 ButtonCheck res=1, *pFirst=275 (0.1, 19)

56722 FirstButtonChange res=00000113 (0.1, 19)

Here's the new one

70341 *** Entered Buttons option page ***

70372 ButtonCheck res=1, *pFirst=288 (0.1, 32)

70372 FirstButtonChange res=00000120 (0.1, 32)

Well, that's really odd. In both cases you are getting a button press seen BEFORE the screen has even been properly updated. I assume you didn't press something?

This is always indicative of a "stuck button", but in this case the button numbers are different -- joystick #1, button 19, then the same joystick, but button 32, which is actually the forward position on a Hat (a "point of view", POV).

Which joystick is #1? You should be able to identify it either via the Axis Assignments dialogue, or using that Joyview program I provided.

It looks as if it might be a good idea to identify that joystick, then uninstall it (from the Windows - Settings - System - Device Manager dialogue), driver as well, then re-install (after a re-boot). Just unplugging it didn't help, did it? Maybe that's a good test too -- unplug everything and run FSX again, see which "button" the log says then.

I'll do some experiments here tomorrow. There haven't been many cases of "stuck buttons" -- continuous signals which effectively stop FSUIPC -- but enough to worry me. I'll see if I can detect such a condition and avoid hanging (e.g. after N repetitions of the same button, reduce the scan frequency or automatically mark it to be ignored).

Regards

Pete

Hello Martin and Pete,

I had this problem a couple days ago too. I'll try to give as much information, maybe it will help.

I wanted to use the "shift" function for my CH Yoke, so I would have double buttons. Installed the CHManager, and also changed USB-ports. I think I also installed FSX acceleration at that time. At some point I wanted to reassign some buttons, OK and cancel button wasn't working anymore. I too had to close FSX in Taskmanager.

After try and error I finally found the solution for me: Not loading the CHManager (I'm using the lastest version from the site, V4.2 i think). Because this is ok for me, I haven't invest this problem further. I just thought FSUIPC had problem intercepting the buttons because the CHManager makes virtual devices (CH Control Manager Device 1 and CH Control Manager Device 2)

I just checked, without loading CHManager: everything is working fine. As soon as I load the CHManager, Ok and cancel button is not working anymore. FSUIPC still showed my previous assignments when I press a button on the yoke, although there is no joystick number showing (empty). Strange thing is it has worked before, because my assignment are working in FSX, and also showing in FSUIPC. Problem is I can't tell when this problem started, because I did multiple things before I tried to reassign the buttons.

Martin, maybe you can try to use your controllers without loading the CHManager, and see if this will solve your problem. (No need to deinstall the CHManager, just don't load it (remove CMStart.exe from startup if you're using it, so CHManager isn't loading on startup, reboot PC and startup FSX).

I think this is related to CHManager (maybe some configuration in CHManager?) and maybe swapping USB-ports.

I'm using FSUIPC V4.26 and FSX acceleration, Windows XP media center. I haven't used a previous version of FSUIPC V4 before, because I just started a week ago with FSX (although I bought it the first day of release) after a 1,5 year break from flight simulator.

Pete, if you'll need more information, just ask. I can replicate and solve the problem on my PC.

Hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Marcel

Pete, if you'll need more information, just ask. I can replicate and solve the problem on my PC.

Well, best if I could replicate it here. Do I need CH gear to run CH Manager? Can I download it anywhere and try it with an anonymous joystick do you know?

If it is hanging inside CH Manager then there might not be a lot I can do to fix it, but I am willing to try. If I can't run it here I may ask you or Martin to test assorted changes for me.

[LATER]

I found the CH Control Manager on the CH website, downloaded and installed it, but it isn't giving me the same problem. This might simply be because I've got no CH devices -- though Martin did say he still got the problem when he unplugged all of his.

The version I downloaded is 4.2. Is that the one you are using? I noticed other software on the CH download site too. Should I have any of that installed as well?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

The version I downloaded is 4.2. Is that the one you are using? I noticed other software on the CH download site too. Should I have any of that installed as well?

Yes, that's the version I'm using. I don't have other software downloaded from the CH site.

I found the CH Control Manager on the CH website, downloaded and installed it, but it isn't giving me the same problem. This might simply be because I've got no CH devices -- though Martin did say he still got the problem when he unplugged all of his.

I just tried something, I haven't restart my computer yet. I unplugged my CH Yoke and CH Pedals, so they are not showing in the Windows game controller panel anymore. CHManager running. Started FSX, try to assign button, and OK and cancel button isn't working. It looks like running the CHManager software alone (and loading the configuration file) is enough to have this problem.

I'll have to sleep now, but tomorrow I'll try to startup my PC, load the CHManager software with controllers unplugged and see I have the same problem. If Martin autoload his configuration file on windows startup, that explains why he has still have this problem even after reboot.

I have upload my CHManager configuration file. Copy the 2 files in the ZIP file in your CH Manager Maps folder (normally C:\Program Files\CH Products\Control Manager\Maps) Open CHManager, load file (FSX.map) and click on the download button in CHManager (although I think there must be a CH device connected to the PC to activate the download button). Maybe you can replicate the problem. I'll post tomorrow evening when I have try to restart PC with unplugged devices and loaded configuration file.

Here is the configuration file: http://www.fs-addict.com/downloads/Maps.zip

Regards,

Marcel

Hello,

I can confirm that the problem has something to do with the CH Manager. Yesterday, I uninstalled all my controller drivers and also uninstalled the CH Manager. After that rebootet my system, started FSX and everything was working fine.

Then I reinstalled my controller devices, using the built in Windows drivers for my CH devices. With these Windows drivers, the Buttons dialogue was working fine. After that I reinstalled the CH Manager and the Buttons dialogue was still working fine. But that changed after a reboot of the system. After this reboot the problem was the same again, the Buttons dialogue was hanging.

Maybe it has something to do with the CH drivers that come with the CH Manager (as soon as you install the CH Manager, the Windows own drivers get replayed by the drivers that come with the CH Manager).

By the way...I'm using the CH Manager Version 4.30 for Vista, since I'm running Vista with SP1.

Kind regards

martin

I have upload my CHManager configuration file. Copy the 2 files in the ZIP file in your CH Manager Maps folder (normally C:\Program Files\CH Products\Control Manager\Maps) Open CHManager, load file (FSX.map) and click on the download button in CHManager (although I think there must be a CH device connected to the PC to activate the download button). Maybe you can replicate the problem.

Ok, thanks. I'll try this today.

Pete

Ok, thanks. I'll try this today.

Unfortunately, just having the control manager loaded with a Map doesn't cause the problem -- the "Test/Calibrate" button in CHM just declares "there are no active devices" (of course, as I have none), so I guess that is the reason -- the Manager is not interfering with the standard Windows API calls made by my Button scanning dialogue.

So, all I can do is try a few relatively minor changes, like trying to detect a fast repeating button and/or change the timing. None of this will work, though, if it is actually hanging inside the CH Manager -- I can only deal with it if it is a loop through my code.

Meanwhile, can you both please use that Joyview program I supplied and see how that behaves -- it uses joyGetPosEx, like FSUIPC. It may say "None" for all the devices, but open them until you find those which respond to your CH devices. For example:

Select the "joyGetPosEx() line and if there's a recognised device you'll get values in the "Value" column. They should change according to the axes, buttons etc on the device. Press buttons and the "Buttons" and "ButtonNumber" lines should change.

Please let me know.

Regards

Pete

post-1817-128689613561_thumb.jpg

I checked the joyview.exe a few days ago. All my devices show up properly (devices 1-3) and behave normal. The values change as I move the controls, all buttons say "0" until they are pressed.

Okay. That gives some hope that I might be able to fix it, then.

Pete

... some hope that I might be able to fix it, then.

Please try this version of FSUIPC4.DLL:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4262.zip

Looking at my code, the only real difference between the normal, operational, button scanning and the one in the Buttons & Switches TAB is that the former operates at a default of 20 millisecond intervals whilst the latter at 5 millisecond intervals.

The reason for the faster scan rate is simply to give a better response when setting options -- I can't let it do that when you are actually flying as it would impinge on FS frame rates, but when in the Options Menu there's precious little else going on, so why not give a good response?

So, I'm thinking that with the Control manager interfering with the "joyGetPosEx" pathways, that actual call is taking nearly or more than 5 milliseconds. So, as soon as it gets back from one call, it calls againresult: an apparent hang. Nothing else gets in because this is a high priority loop.

In this version, 4.262, I keep the default at 5 mSecs, but if I don't see a regular Windows "Tick" message (which I should receive every 55 mSecs) within 100 mSecs I increase the time by 5 msecs. I keep doing this till I see a proper Timer Tick.

I've tested this under simulation, but I'm afraid I've no way of testing it for real, so please let me know.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete and Martin,

This is what I did today:

One question for Marcel:

Do you have FScopilot and/or FSINN installed?

No, I don't have this installed so I don't think that will be the problem.

I'll have to sleep now, but tomorrow I'll try to startup my PC, load the CHManager software with controllers unplugged and see I have the same problem. If Martin autoload his configuration file on windows startup, that explains why he has still have this problem even after reboot.

I tried this today, but when I unplug my Yoke and pedals, i have no problem and can't replicate the problem.

I then plugged in my yoke and pedals again, without loading my configuration file, and tried Joyview. Everything report OK, on the "buttons" value I get a binair value between 1 and 2048 (zero when not pressed). I then loaded my configuration file, I'll get the same values, except when I press the "Shift" button and another button on my Yoke, the value is between -2147483648 and 536870912.

After that started FSX, tried to assign the buttons and for some reason it was working. FSUIPC report it as joy4, and also showed the correct buttons. Hmm, that was unexpected, because I haven't changed a thing, except plug-in my yoke and pedals.

Then I downloaded my configuration file again, started FSX and the problem was there again. Values in Joyview weren't changed.

I then tried V4.262, started FSX, assigned buttons and everything was ok. Copied V4.26 back, problem was there. I did this a couple of time, everytime with V4.26 the problem was there and V4.262 solved the problem. So I think V4.262 is working fine, Pete. I'll have to do some more testing, but so far everything is ok. Although I still don't understand why it worked 1 time with V4.26 today. Maybe there is something strange with the CHManager software. I hope V4.262 will work for Martin too.

Thanks again for solving this problem so fast.

Regards,

Marcel

Hi,

I can alos confirm that version 4.262 of the dll does the trick. Everything is working fine again, even with the CH Control manager software running.

Thank you very much Pete for your outstanding support.

Kind regards

Martin

I can alos confirm that version 4.262 of the dll does the trick.

Good.

However, it does mean, I think, that every call to scan for button presses is taking close to or more than 5 milliseconds when that driver is in use. Don't you notice any reduction in FS frame rates or smoothness when using the CH Manager?

Regards

Pete