The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
boing71234567

Farewell to an airline...

Delta, United and American all were under Chapter 11. What I read about Frontier is that the problems are not with the airline and not with the oil prize. The problem are the US banks and the US credit card companies - both have burned billions on hazardous speculations and now cut off the money were they can. In the case of Frontier, the problem is with the credit card companies. They usually pay, when you have a two way ticket, a part of the money 3 days after the first flight, and the rest 3 days after the return flight, since you might in theory get a recharge. They have changed this fraction now, which pulled a sudden hole into the cash flow - in this case chapter 11 is the right way to protect due to a temporary problem.

We do need a whole different animal for long!

ok. delta and northwest are going to merge and continential and united might merge if others merge. meaning other airlines. wonder what is going to happen to the airpports and there gates. KBDL is perfect for these mergers becuase delta and northwest park right next to each other and united and continential are pretty close to each other.

@Burkhard: what are you going to do with the next addon with all of this merging?

Looking at AWE/USAir from the day the merger is announced to the day it has the first consequences is about 6 months, so it will have no effect on version 5.2, but than I see a 5.2a shortly before christmas where the first new paints may be needed. Overall it will take three to four years until all old paint schemes are gone.

would they make a new paint scheme or livery when they merge or just keep there liveries but merge. does that also mean the new hub for delta and northwest is KATL and detroit and KMEM?

thank you

The official word is that all hubs will be kept. All routes will be kept. There are only 22 routes which they both fly, and only 4 of them have no competition.

Every aircraft gets a completely new paint every four years in average. Either the same as always( see LH,AA), or a new one(see Delta). So the question is: How will the aircraft be painted when they are due for fresh paint? I expect this to be settled in summer, and the first paints to be available in late summer.

i think of this when u.s. air merged with american west airlines. you see american west liveries from time to time but more u.s. airways. same thing might apply to delta and northwest. delta has more costomers than northwest so delta has the upper hand. will just have to wait and see.

I rather suspect this is the same as a whole lot of other "mergers"... It's actually a takeover.

The airline will be called Delta. It's headquarters building will be Delta's, it's overall boss will be Delta's.

By the same token, I think that as Burkhard says, they'll just repaint the aircraft into Delta's livery when they come up for repaint. What they may do, because this bit isn't as hard, is pull the transfers off and replace those with an "Interim" scheme of Delta titles on NWA liveried aircraft. However I'd suggest that the process will be done fairly slowly this time, considering that the primary driver is cost savings and repainting/restickering aircraft costs a lot of money!

Ian P.

that pretty much summed it up. does this mean airline tickets will cost less? delta usually runs about $150-beyond. i hope it does, i look at united and once we found a seat in coach from KBDL-KORD for over $1,000 which is crazy. its the small airlines like airtran and jetbue that are making the most money cause they are charging tickets for at least $80. the key is tickets that cost less and more destinations to choose from. im getting off the topic but that is my idea.

thank you

Concentration will lead to higher ticket prices. Reduce the competiton and prices go up. This has to be added to the strong inflation we currently have in the US, with prices not only for fuel, but also for food exploding - all this reflected by the falling $ exchange rate.

@Ian, yes, Northwest tails with Delta stickers, that will happen. Interesting intermediate liveries. We already went through this in early MyTraffic2002 times when American took over TWA, so we already have such a case modelled in the software.

finally some good news. aloha cargo is coming back! its going to be hard to fly concidering they only have the hawaiian islands and maybe some other islands near there. and concidering the next hawaiian island to pot up from the ocean is the island loihi in 18,000 years :)

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forumn/3964357/

i just hope they dont use hte 737-200's :)

thank you

The situation had become very hard on some of the islands, Aloha Cargo brought 80% of the air cargo to them. So this is a vital buisiness without competition.

Yes, they use 737-200C, and I do not see any aircraft to replace them on short notice. Of course, for cargo a Fokker 50 would do much better :D

i ment do you have aloha cargo in my traffic? sorry for not making it clear enough :)

Use the MyTraffic Editor to find an airline if you wish to know whether MyTraffic has it. That's what I use to find existing paints to match color tones.

Sorry to bring up this thread again.

MK Airlines, a cargo airline operating 747-200 and DC8, grounded all its planes and ceased operation.

Again sorry:

Even beautiful red/green color schemes don't help - MYAir in Italy has lost its license today. No, MyTraffic isn't the parent company of them :)