The simFlight Network Forums

Applying a second throttle for jets makes trouble - and more

Hi again :wink:,

yesterday I tried to set the second lever (originally intended as a prop lever) on my Saitek throttle quadrant as a second thrust lever for a B737 in FSX with FSUIPC 4.28. It worked but not 100% accurate. My problem is that the second lever (for engine 2) works independently but when I use the first lever (for engine 1) it also makes the second lever move, they even synchronise as if I would use only one lever for both engines. Also the second lever makes the in game FSX lever move very jerky. Oh, of course I unchecked the box that wants to apply the trottle for 4 engines.

Also I applied the third lever on the Saitek quadrant for speedbrakes. Funnily the full travel of the lever in one direction deploys and retracts the speedbrakes - I move the lever fully down (in order to deploy the sb) and the game makes the sb go up AND down again smoothly :shock:. What can be done to solve this little problem?

Thanks for your help :-).

My problem is that the second lever (for engine 2) works independently but when I use the first lever (for engine 1) it also makes the second lever move, they even synchronise as if I would use only one lever for both engines.

You must have it assigned to the generic (all-engine) Throttle axis somewhere then! :roll:

Also the second lever makes the in game FSX lever move very jerky. Oh, of course I unchecked the box that wants to apply the trottle for 4 engines.

That would not be relevant, or even visible, if you were not assigning and calibrating the first throttle as the generic all-engine throttle. The "map to 4" option simply takes the normal (default FS) all-engine throttle input and converts it to 4 separate Engine N Throttle inputs, so it is entirely irrelevant when you don't use the all-engine assignment anywhere.

You must assign throttle1 to engine 1 throttle, of course, just as you did with throttle 2 for Engine 2 throttle, when you want independent throttles. This applies whether you use FSUIPC or not -- please refer to FS's own assignments, which you seem to have overlooked. (I always recommend sorting yourself out in FS first, before moving on to FSUIPC refinements).

Also I applied the third lever on the Saitek quadrant for speedbrakes. Funnily the full travel of the lever in one direction deploys and retracts the speedbrakes - I move the lever fully down (in order to deploy the sb) and the game makes the sb go up AND down again smoothly :shock:. What can be done to solve this little problem?

Please explain it again more logically, as what you say does not draw any pictires at all. Possibly you are testing this on the ground? Don't -- when the lever goes into the "ARM" position is will deploy 100%. Test only in the air.

Pete

You must have it assigned to the generic (all-engine) Throttle axis somewhere then! :roll:

Yes, somewhere. Ok, I'll have a deeper look at that. It's one of these "one missed checkbox deeeep in the system makes you go crazy"-thing :wink:.

You must assign throttle1 to engine 1 throttle, of course, just as you did with throttle 2 for Engine 2 throttle, when you want independent throttles.

Honestly, this is what I did.

This applies whether you use FSUIPC or not -- please refer to FS's own assignments, which you seem to have overlooked. (I always recommend sorting yourself out in FS first, before moving on to FSUIPC refinements).

Correct me if I'm wrong: I understand that FSUIPC does not override the FS-setting in any case? That would make thinks clearer for me :oops:.

Please explain it again more logically, as what you say does not draw any pictires at all. Possibly you are testing this on the ground? Don't -- when the lever goes into the "ARM" position is will deploy 100%. Test only in the air.

Ok, since English is not my first language it's not that easy to explain this speedbrake related event. Here is what I did: Assign a free lever to speedbrake with FSUIPC, have the lever set to "Zero" (equals speedbrake off). Move the lever, which causes FSX to move the speedbrake properly too. At about 50% of the lever travel suddenly the speedbrake in FSX starts to retract again. At 100% of the lever travel the speedbrake is fully retracted instead being deployed. I expected the speedbrake in a 737 (e.g.) to move synchronously with the lever all the way. And I only did test in the air! Did I make a mistake in my thinking again :oops: ?

Of course it's possible that I have caused a conflict here with FSX and FSUIPC again, like I obviously did with the throttles :roll:.

Thanks a lot anyway! I'm just learning to use FSUIPC (except of my two self-made "problems", the software works great :D!).

Yes, somewhere. Ok, I'll have a deeper look at that. It's one of these "one missed checkbox deeeep in the system makes you go crazy"-thing :wink:.

No, this is nothing whatsoever to do with any checkboxes. Engine 1 throttle should be assigned to Engine 1 Throttle. The ONLY throttle part of FSUIPC which has a "Map to 4 throttles" checkbox is the one for the generic default all-engine throttle, on the page with aileron, elevator and rudder.

You must assign throttle1 to engine 1 throttle, of course, just as you did with throttle 2 for Engine 2 throttle, when you want independent throttles.

Honestly, this is what I did.

Maybe you also have it assigned, in FS, to the main default throttle too. From what you posted first, you must have seen it operate on the first FSUIPC page to even think of the "map to 4 throttles" option, which is totally irrelevant when not using the generic throttle.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I understand that FSUIPC does not override the FS-setting in any case? That would make thinks clearer for me :oops:.

What do you mean by "override"? If you assign axes in FS you can calibrate them in FSUIPC. If you assign axes in FSUIPC you MUST calibrate them in FSUIPC. If you assign axes in both places you will get a mixture. It's fully flexible. There are no hidden things, it is all obvious.

Here is what I did: Assign a free lever to speedbrake with FSUIPC, have the lever set to "Zero" (equals speedbrake off). Move the lever, which causes FSX to move the speedbrake properly too. At about 50% of the lever travel suddenly the speedbrake in FSX starts to retract again. At 100% of the lever travel the speedbrake is fully retracted instead being deployed. I expected the speedbrake in a 737 (e.g.) to move synchronously with the lever all the way. And I only did test in the air! Did I make a mistake in my thinking again :oops: ?

Sounds like you have the axis assigned twice, one reversed compared to the other (usually spoilers need "REV" checked before calibrating). Check your FS assignments as well as those in FSUIPC.

The only difference in FSUIPC is that it provides a "centre" position, used for an "ARM" zone. Without seeing what you are seeing I can't say, but if you follow the steps correctly you should be okay. As an example, with my test joystick lever assigned to Spoilers in FSUIPC, the calibration section (bottom left, page 6 of 11) shows:

REV checked (spoilers need the axis direction reversing normally) -- do this first, else the calibration will be "upside down".

Min -15560, Centre -978, 2465, Max 16384. (Your numbers will be different, of course)

Don't set any curved slope -- that should be 0 (flat).

Of course it's possible that I have caused a conflict here with FSX and FSUIPC again, like I obviously did with the throttles :roll:.

Conflict? Not sure that's the right word -- the same axis for multiple uses does come in handy sometimes. You just need to decide what you are going to do and then do it.

Incidentally, though probably more efficient, the FSUIPC axis assignments were intended for more advanced uses, or for axes not assignable in FS. In fact it was only recently those facilities were added -- the usual way of using FSUIPC's calibrations is to still assign in FS, then calibrate in FSUIPC. Then you can't get "conflicts" (or confuse yourself). If you do assign in FSUIPC you really need to double-check you are not also assigning for a "conflicting" use in FS.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

ok, now I see what you mean. I will recheck my settings and adapt your advices.

Anyway, FSUIPC did help me a lot to set up FSX as I always wanted it to be. Only the two little problems

discussed in my topics bothered me, but I guess I really can solve them now.

I hope my questions weren't to annoying 8).

Best wishes :D.