The simFlight Network Forums

Understanding how axis work on aircraft X

I'm trying to figure out how FS will interpret the position of axis_throttle_n_set, prop_n_set, and mixture_n_set for any arbitrary aircraft. Is there a section of aircraft.cfg or the .air file that defines this?

For example, some throttles give max, idle, reverse, some have max, flight idle, beta/ground fine, ground idle, reverse. Some no reverse. etc. Other than trial and error, I would to do a better job of setting up the operating range and null spots in fsuipc axis settings.

scott s.

I'm trying to figure out how FS will interpret the position of axis_throttle_n_set, prop_n_set, and mixture_n_set for any arbitrary aircraft. Is there a section of aircraft.cfg or the .air file that defines this?

The range is simply minimum to maximum, linearly as far as I know.

For example, some throttles give max, idle, reverse, some have max, flight idle, beta/ground fine, ground idle, reverse. Some no reverse. etc.

The "AXIS_THROTTLE_SET" controls go from idle to max only (idle at -16384, max at +16384). Only the older FS98 controls (THROTTLEn_SET) provide a reverse range. For those the numerical throttle position for IDLE is always 0, max is 16384, and reverse is negative -- the max reverse depending on the AIRCRAFT.CFG parameter for reverse thrust percentage -- for example 25% would be -4096 (25% of -16384). FSUIPC calibrates to -4096 but auto-scales this according to the specific aircraft.

Other than trial and error, I would to do a better job of setting up the operating range and null spots in fsuipc axis settings.

Since FSUIPC is setting the idle and reverse and other special values for you, according to your min/centre/max calibrations, I don't see how it can be "trial and error", nor do you need to know the specific values nor why.

Add-on Airbus aircraft are another matter entirely of course, as with an Airbus you don't control thrust directly but set it to specific modes. But then you are dependent upon the interpretation of the throttle input values by the specific implementation.

Regards

Pete