The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick numbers in FSUIPC

In our cockpit ( http://cockpit.punt.nl) we use printed boards to connect hardware buttons to my flightsim and these boards are detected as Joysticks

by Windows and FSUIPC.

Recently I had to exchange 1 board (nr 5) and after I replaced it, the buttons on boards 5 and 6 did not work properly anymore.

Than I found out that the numbers attributed to these joysticks in FSUIPC had been switched.

(Remark: in Windows/Gamecontrollers the sequence has NOT changed)

Therefore I have three questions:

1. How are the numbers of these joysticks in FSUIPC attributed?

2. Why is it not a logical row? I have 6 joysticks and the numbers in FSUIPC are 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6. So number 3 is missing.

3. How can I change those numbers in FSUIPC?

I tried to disconnect nr 5 and made a reboot, disconnect nr 6 but no change and than nr 5 + 6, but they still remain switched.

Because it took many hours to programme the buttons for those joysticks (my FMC/MCDU), I would like to be able to change

the numbers of the joysticks instead of re-doing all my programming.

PaulusP

1. How are the numbers of these joysticks in FSUIPC attributed?

They are assigned by Windows.

2. Why is it not a logical row? I have 6 joysticks and the numbers in FSUIPC are 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6. So number 3 is missing.

Presumably Widows used to see a #3 and that USB port hasn't been used again. I'm not really sure how it assigns the numbers in the first place, but they are the only IDs I have for the joy API.

3. How can I change those numbers in FSUIPC?

You cannot because they are not assigned by FSUIPC. I suspect you need to be sure yo always use the same USB connections, assuming this is how Windows really does assign them (which it certainly appears to -- same as how it assigns COM nmbers when you connect a serial device as USB).

Because it took many hours to programme the buttons for those joysticks (my FMC/MCDU), I would like to be able to change

the numbers of the joysticks instead of re-doing all my programming.

Well of course you can edit the FSUIPC INI file, changing the numbers there. If this was a more general problem I would consider adding a facility for "aliassing" one number to another, but quite honestly this has only ever arisen once before that I can remember, and that's in over 10 years.

I attach a program called "joyview" which uses the same API as FSUIPC so you can clearly see what is where.

Regards

Pete

joyview.zip