The simFlight Network Forums

Simple question visibility - FS9 limits?

Hello,

My apologies for probably a very simple question, but I could not find an answer in the documentation of FSUIPC. I have ActiveSky installed for FS2004. I have the visibility limited to max. 20 miles for a realistic effect (at least, a 'limited', hazy visibility is how it is a lot of the times in The Netherlands). However, after passing a certain altitude unknown to me (I guess 25000 feet or so), then suddenly the colours of the landscape get very harsh, and the visibility is unlimited - all the haze is gone no matter what low visibility I set in AS.

In the manual of FSUIPC (3.48) I have read that it is possible to set an altitude for visibility, if I understood it right. However, someone else wrote to me that there is a FS9 bug which makes a limited visibility only partly possible, at some point during climb the haze disappears and the harsh 'pure' landscape colours re-appear, no program like AS or FSUIPC would overcome this. My question is: does FSUIPC enable me to overcome this, i.e. have limited visibility at all times, places and altitudes, even at FL350 in FS2004? And if yes, is this then the registered version?

I hope someone can help, as I keep thinking it is such a bummer when after take-off, during climb, one gets thrown back to "FS-reality" because of sudden unrealistic views and colours, without any haze...

Thank you very much in advance,

Lennard

In the manual of FSUIPC (3.48)

As Jim says, 3.48 is almost unbelievably old. The current user release is 3.82, and none before that are supported. There's a later increment even than that available in the "Other Downloads" Announcement above. (Version 3.845 at present). Please keep up to date if you want support.

I have read that it is possible to set an altitude for visibility, if I understood it right. However, someone else wrote to me that there is a FS9 bug which makes a limited visibility only partly possible, at some point during climb the haze disappears and the harsh 'pure' landscape colours re-appear, no program like AS or FSUIPC would overcome this. My question is: does FSUIPC enable me to overcome this, i.e. have limited visibility at all times, places and altitudes, even at FL350 in FS2004? And if yes, is this then the registered version?

Why not read the User Guide for FSUIPC? It tells you all about this stuff. And yes, there is in fact a "graduated visibility" function in FSUIPC which allows you to control the visibility from the top of the normal FS visibility layer up to any set altitude, with the visibility realistically extending from one value to another as you ascend. It is one of the features which, alas, I couldn't continue in FSX.

No user facilities in FSUIPC are available to you unless you purchase it and register.

Regards

Pete

Dear Jim and Pete,

Thank you very much for the fast replies. I actually do use FSUIPC 3.82 - that was some strange brew in my head to confusedly write that, I guess (proves to never write when you are tired!). Considering that AS indeed does set visibility ranges for all altitudes, it is especially strange that these sudden clear-ups occur.

I did read in the FSUIPC manual about the layers before posting my message, but frankly, I did not quite understand all of the manual as it seems at times rather technical. But I think I must have understood it correctly then. If (the registered) FSUIPC is, more or less guaranteed, actually forcing this visibility degradation effectively and these sudden weather clear-ups in my FS9 setup belong to the past, it is fantastic and already that makes it worth the buy (plus all the other functions).

Once more thanks (also for providing the above two wonderful programs) and best wishes,

Lennard

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread I went ahead and registered my FSUIPC and am I pleased with how well it solves the problem mentioned above. Finally, I can say goodbye to my pet hate in FS2004, of rising above the vis layer as set, and suddenly lose all haze. How unrealistic can you get :cry: . That used to kill the 'immersion' factor,. Thank you very much Pete. Fixing the vis bug is worth the price of the registration alone. :D