The simFlight Network Forums
Polestar

Flight Plan 'save as' filepath

Hello, I hope that you can help.

I am using Microsoft FSX

FSUIPC

FS Commander version 8.4, CD boxed set from Aerosoft on Windows XP

I have just bought a copy of FS Commander and have encountered a problem with the 'save as' flight plan function.

I created a flight plan and on selecting 'save as' the options menu correctly identified the file path as:

C:\Program files\Aerosoft\FSC\fsplan.

I selected 'save' and although the flight plan is saved to that folder, I see a message that says: "Flight plan cannot be saved because FS path unknown! Please specify FS path in Options"

So, question number one is - why does it show that message?

Question number 2 is - if I try to 'navigate' to the file path for FSx (desktop\my documents\flight simulator X) - your software options box does not show desktop as an option. It only shows my hard drives (C,D and E). So I cannot save to FSX files.

Can you help please?

John

Hi John,

I see a message that says: "Flight plan cannot be saved because FS path unknown! Please specify FS path in Options"

The message tell's you what to do. Specify a path in the Options Window menu.

Please read the current manual, chapter 5.5, Saving andsection Plight plans in the format

and also chapter 20, Options Window, section Flight Plan.

Question number 2 is

the rules are not desktop \ my documents \ flight simulator X

there are C:\Documents and settings\the user\my document \ Flight Simulator X files

Regards,

Volker

Hello Volker, thank you for replying so soon.

I believe that I may not have stated the background to my question on clearly enough.

Part of what I said was: "I created a flight plan and on selecting 'save as' the options menu correctly identified the file path as:

C:\Program files\Aerosoft\FSC\fsplan.

I selected 'save' and although the flight plan is saved to that folder, I see a message that says: "Flight plan cannot be saved because FS path unknown! Please specify FS path in Options"

By that I mean that the flight plan was saved to the correct folder, but it showed the error message. So I am puzzled by this.

Can you explain why this error message is shown?

You have answered my second question. Thank you

As I have said, I bought a CD boxed version of FS Commander from a local retailer (original from Aerosoft) there is a manual in the CD case - but it does not have the chapter references that you give. Is there a manual that I can download from your website?

If there is, would you kindly give me the reference.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

I believe that I may not have stated the background to my question on clearly enough.

You have, but I see that there is a missunderstanding what the Save/Load windows is doing for you.

If you have activate more then one box on the right side of the window, (for example LevelD or PMDG)

then Flightsim Commander want to save the flight plan for all this selections you have made. In this case the error message appears,

because, you have not setting the path for your Flight Simulator, so that Flightsim Commander can't find a valid folder.

Solution, just deactivate all other selections or make your settings for your Flight Simulator under Window->Options-> Flight plan.

You find the current manual on our website with the following link:

http://www.fscommander.com/files/fscmanual_english.zip

Regards,

Volker

Volker

I had only selected "FS Commander/Flight Simulator", so that can't be the explanation

However, I do understand the reasoning that you have mentioned

Thank you for the reference to enable me to see the manual

John

Hi John,

I had only selected "FS Commander/Flight Simulator", so that can't be the explanation. However, I do understand the reasoning that you have mentioned

Your observations were correct and my statement were wrong, please excuse me.

The program should not examine the path if only the box for FSCommander/FlightSimulator is activated.

I have made a mistake while written the source code. This will be fixed inside the next update.

Anyway, it's allways a good idea that the user setting the path for the flight simulator in Windows > Option > Flight plan.

Regards,

Volker

Volke

Would it be possible for you to add an option to enable/disable the flight sim folder vaildation? I get this message everytime and I really don't want to see it .

I using my own program to push out the flight plans to the appropriate paths and to update the FSUIPC offset to tell FSX there's a new plan (if you don't use a different filename the FSX code doesn't pick up the changes). My programs renames the FSC-generated flight plan, pushes it out to FSX and send the program it's name - it works fine but I get the FSX path nag every time because I store all three flight plans* in one folder on a machine that doesn't run FSX.

* FSInn, Squawkbox (for EllieAvionics) and FlightSim X formats

Being able to suppress this message would be really helpful!!

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

Possibly I don't see your problem; but why don't you simply specify the FS folder in the Options Window as told and all problems are gone. You only have to do that once, because the path is saved in the ini file.

If we suppressed that message, we'll get hundreds of mails from people complaining that they saved a flight plan, but it wasn't saved at the proper place.

Regards

Sascha

Sascha we've been here several times before - I understand what you're saying about other users being confused but my many and varied forum posts this year surely lend weight to my argument that this is a genuinely irritating bug for some users. The path we set is valid, but FSC can't see it for whatever reason (XP issues). Since no other programs display this 'path blindeness' perhaps we can meet half way? Perhaps an option in the INI file for advanced users to disable the FSX path validation?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I guess I need to go a bit more into details in order to explain the rationale behind what we do.

Basically, there are three types of flight plans that can be saved. Trivially the FS/FSC format which can either be saved in FSC's own directory or in the corresponding FS directory which is located on your C: drive for FSX (with all the accompanying problems that are described in the manual). Second, flight plans for e.g. IVAO, VATSIM, etc. which can be saved anywhere on your computer. You specify the path in the Options Window; if nothing is specified, a subdirectory under /FSPlan is created and the flight plan is saved there. These are the two innocent cases.

Now the crucial one, namely flight plans for PMDG, LevelD, etc. These plans MUST be saved in the proper directory inside the FS directory. Otherwise the plans cannot be reloaded into the FMC of the respective aircraft. In other words, in order to save these plans into the proper location, FS Commander MUST know the FS path. There are basically two ways to find out where FS is located. The first one is to check the Windows Registry, the other one to have the user specify the path manually in the Options Window. In earlier versions of FS Commander we used the "Windows Registry" method and that led to a host of problems. In many cases the entry in the Registry was wrong, simply because the user had manually moved FS to a different directory which was not the one specified in the Registry. In some other cases we simply could not identify the cause. Therefore we decided to have the user specify the correct FS path, again in the Options Window, which is then saved in the ini file.

Now, what happens if the user failed to specify the proper FS path. It is precisely in this case that the message "Flight plan cannot be saved......" pops up. That is, this message appears if and only if a flight plan format for PMDG, LevelD, etc is chosen and the path of FS has not (yet) been specified. All that needs to be done is to specify the FS path in the Options Window and everything works fine and you only have to do that once, because the FS path is saved in the ini file.

What about your suggestion to suppress the message for advanced users. Well, I don't believe that's a viable option. If you decide to save a plan in, say, PMD format and FSC does not know where to save it, because it doesn't know where FS is located, then trivially the flight plan cannot be saved. If no message appears, then I'm absolutely certain that I receive hundreds of mails complaining "I saved a flight plan in PMDG format, but the flight plan is not saved anywhere; what's wrong?"

So, I don't see why it is so difficult to specify the FS path once. It is just a few clicks and keystrokes away. Logically, I don't see why anyone would opt for saving a flight plan in, say, PMDG formqat, but at the same time refuse to specify the FS path. Either you want to save the PMDG format, then you need to do what needs to be done. Otherwise you just should not mark the PMDG option (or any other aircraft format). So, I think we leave things the way they are.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

HI guys, thanks for taking the time to explain things for us. What you say makes a lot of sense, but many customers use home networks nowadays and the Option screen only allows users to specify paths that are previously mapped shares (as opposed to allowing for text entry of UNC paths).

However there appears to be a bug or an issue in FSC that means if you start a home network machine and then start FSC, it doesn't show the mapped drives in the Options path selector dialog unless you've already accessed them in some other program such as Explorer. The drive box simply doesn't show them. So every time I want to save a flight plan I have to go somewhere else, click the mapped drive, go back into FSX, close the options window, reopen the options window and finally save my flight plan. It's a pain!

And to compound problems if you try to save the flight plan without going into the options box or doing any of that juggling I mentioned the same issue prevents the program seeing the FSX directory so you get the error saying the flightplan can't be saved.

I'm not terribly good at explaining - when I find a moment I'll post a video on my webpage to demonstrate the problem more clearly.

All the best

Ian