The simFlight Network Forums

Airports that need geometry changes

Burkhard

There are airports reported where changes of the geometry should be tried at least. If you see such a situation as that AI aircraft taxi through each other or through buildings or park in buildings or have very wrong parkings, please post this here with screen shots.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not exactly geometry, but if you are looking at airports....

EGLL has "Gate 238, Gate Hvy (36m)" and "Gate 238, Gate Sml (18m)". Both show up on the traffic boards as Gate 238. Surely there are not two gate 238 at Heathrow?

EGBB has two Gate 61. 209 is similar.

Reusing gate numbers is fine for other types of parking, but it does not look so good when it is reused within a parking type.

Regards

Simon

Yes, I found them now. They are static scenery placed by Microsoft and located there. They appear there too using the stock layout. So this is hundreds of miles out of the potential radius of an AI traffic package to modify MS stock scenery. All I could do is to close these taxiways, but that wouldn't be what you want...

BUT - those of you who love to peek and poke for bits and bytes - how on earth can MS put seasonal scenery objects - that isn't documented anywhere and assumed not to be possible with FSX ????

I've fixed a couple of minor errors at KLAX, there were a couple of small taxiway links that had grass on them, I've also moved over one of the taxiways on the large apron nearby these links as B747's were hitting other planes when passing behind them. The links in question were in the area of taxi link E14/5 I think.

BR2_KLAX.zip

Bob G.,

I have redone the BR2_EHAM file to fix all runway lighting and approach equipment and lighting per the airport specifications (these include papi2s to papi4s); I have relocated the de-icing trucks so they are parked out of the taxiway; I have modified runway 06/24 per google maps and my many hours of spotting at the real EHAM. The changes include a turn-around at the end of 06, 06 closed for take-off, 24 closed for landing, offset threshold per airport specs, precision lighting per specs. In addition, I have included a technique called a diamond x-ing, which was created and introduced by Jim Vile as can be seen by several of his airport sceneries, at several key x-ings so as to minimize AI getting stuck between runways while taxing during peak traffic flow times. You should see far fewer traffic flow issues with this version (I hope). The drawback with this method is you will see AI crossing active runways at strategic points. I have changed the name of the file so as not to confuse it with the original BR2_EHAM. If you're interested in testing this version, I suggest you place this file in your addon scenery\scenery folder and .passive the BR2_EHAM file in the Mytraffic\scenery folder. I'm curious to know what folks think about the changes and specifically the addition of the diamond x-ings. Depending on the feedback I may create a version without the diamond x-ings.

BR3_EHAM.rar

Changes to Palm Springs International Airport include: 1. Gate numbers and AI gate assignments redone per Web page information and google maps and optimized for MTX 5.2 schedules; 2. FSX left off a couple of gates that have been added in this version; 3. Additional ramp parking per google maps; 4. Corrected runway instrument landing lights per airnav (papi2 to papi4); 5. Added blast pads at the ends of each runway per google maps; and 6. Modified vehicle path for improved service and flow; Please test and let me know if you find any issues.

BR2_KPSP.rar

Oakland International has been reworked from scratch. Please test and let me know if you find any issues. All airport scenery and taxiway/runway lighting specifications based on fsx stock, airnav and google maps.

New or reworked - taxiways, vehicle paths, aprons, ramp parkings, extension to fsx stock terminal + 7 new gates (based on real world), removed 2 gates, AI terminal and gate assignments per Web page and google maps (optimized for MTX 5.2), runway lighting, markings and approach lighting, blastpads and more. All runways active. More scenery at the dense setting. I have also included an autogen exclusion due to a single tree near gate 42 at the new terminal extension. Place both files in the addon\scenery folder.

KOAK.rar

Updated Yeager Airport (KCRW). Both runways now active. Corrected runway lighting, markings and approach lighting per airnav. Added a single gate to the main terminal per Web page and google maps. Modified ramp parking per google maps. Some eye candy added. Adjusted military ramp parking to prevent AI from encroaching into buildings. Main terminal gate assignments optimized per Web page for MTX 5.2. Same install instructions as above. Let me know if there are any problems with the file.

BR2_KCRW.rar

KRSW is in need of additional Cargo parking. The 5.2 schedules show many medium to heavy cargo flights and there are only two medium cargo parking spaces. There also appears to be a new Terminal under construction (possibly completed as google maps may be over two years old). I will provide a simple fix soon.

I can see the new Terminal as completed using virtual earth. It also appears that the old terminal has been demolished as the only thing remaining in the image appears to be the foundation. According to the Sept. 2008 FAA diagram, the runway appears to be located correctly as 6/24. The old terminal area is now called North Ramp.

The quicker fix will be to use the old FAA diagram and virtual earth to modify the ramp parking areas - GA and Cargo. I can add buildings, apron ramp parking and modify runway lighting and approach lighting specifications. I can also optimize the gate assignments at the old terminal per the Web page and MTX 5.2 schedules.

At some point in the future I will look into updating the airport to current conditions. This will require more effort as it includes removing autogen where the new Terminal building and taxiways will be located, adding a new Terminal with jetways, new ramp parking, new taxiways and lights etc.

FSX airports are the state defined in the Jeppenson data of 2004/2005. FS2011 airports will be based on 2009 data. While changes are warmly welcome as input from your side, to apply the larger changes between 2004 and now is beyond the scope of an AI traffic product.