The simFlight Network Forums
barrendrop

online weather METARS

Since 8/11/08 and IVAO changing their servers, FSC displays the weather for 8/11/08 for all stations, Can you give us the new link to put in the options page in FSC

thanks for a great program

Derek UKV1197 Senior Manager Fly UK

Hi Volker, hi Sascha,

as you are working on a patch for the weather data, may be you could consider to change the ICAO code for Allgaeu-Airport (Memmingen) from ETSM to EDJA, as I think, that most weather services only use EDJA and no longer ETSM.

Otto

Hi

Have updates to 8.4.1 all new facilities are working, but after changing in downloads section to new webiste for the weatther info. i get an error message, followed by it reading the weather but the meatar reads 081850z and the time now is 1301z

Barrendrop

Hi,

i have the same Problem. I have installed the update 8.4.1. and changed the URL for the weatherdownload.

"Error downloading weather file!"

I have the FSCommander Aerosoft version and tried the Patch from the Aerosoft Support page too, but it didn´t work.

My Systems run on WinXP SP3, 3GB RAM, FS9.1

Best regards

André

Hi

This fix is not reading the weather, ther error is stopping it , the weather it is reloading old saved information for the 08th November , when IVAO upgraded their servers and problem started.

barrendrop

Hi,

maybe I should explain a few things. The download in the new patched version is from an ftp server rather than from a http site as before. The download itself does nothing else but simply copy the file from the server to the corresponding FSC directory.

If the download fails for whatever reason, then the old, i.e. previous weather file is restored.

We have tested the patched version with a great number of people and at different times, and it worked without any problems. However, we could identify three conditions under which a problem might arise:

a) the URL was not properly entered in the Options Window, in particular, the final slash was missing

b) the user set his firewall in such a way that ftp downloads are blocked

c) the user blocked port 21

If you have problems with the weather download, you should check these three points

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Sascha and Volker,

I've unblocker port 21, ensured that the URL is correct and ok'ed the programme through the firewall and even tried it with the firewall off and it still gives the error message.

I am using the programme with UAC turned off and as an administrator:

1. FSX

2. FSUIPC 4.4

3. FS Commander 8.4.1 Build 011208 Aerosoft version F

4. Aerosoft version

5. Operating System Vista 64

Regards

Greg

Hi,

maybe I should explain a few things. The download in the new patched version is from an ftp server rather than from a http site as before. The download itself does nothing else but simply copy the file from the server to the corresponding FSC directory.

If the download fails for whatever reason, then the old, i.e. previous weather file is restored.

We have tested the patched version with a great number of people and at different times, and it worked without any problems. However, we could identify three conditions under which a problem might arise:

a) the URL was not properly entered in the Options Window, in particular, the final slash was missing

b) the user set his firewall in such a way that ftp downloads are blocked

c) the user blocked port 21

If you have problems with the weather download, you should check these three points

Regards

Sascha & Volker

I have the same problem:

- I have installed the patch

- I have changed the URL from Downloads Tab:

Wearther

File name: metar

URL: ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observatiar/cycles/

I tried to download weather and I get "error Dowloading weather file"

I have made more tests:

- I have tested my firewall, all inbound/otbound connections from fsc84.exe are allowed

- I have sniffed the traffic of the conection, I can see the FTP session, but after user validation we get an FTP 500 error, Syntax error, command unrecognized.

Also I tried to download files directly from ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observatiar/cycles/, there are one file for hour with the metar's:

00Z.TXT

01Z.TXT

I tried to download manually one off them and replace fsc_metar.txt from the FSC Database directory and charge weather on FSC. .. It works!

Conclusion

I think there are a proble on FSC 8.4.1 downloadinf files (can be it don't knows wich file to download), but FSC8.4.1 can work with the files of

tgftp.nws.noaa.gov if you download them manually.

Can you check it?

thanks in advance for your workit's great software...

Hi,

we are also sniffed the traffic and we can't see any error. Here the protocol:

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:171]

220 Authorized users only. All activity may be monitored and reported.

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:171]

USER anonymous

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:312]

331 Please specify the password.

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:312]

PASS IEUser@

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:437]

230 Login successful.

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:453]

TYPE I

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:578]

200 Switching to Binary mode.

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:578]

PORT 192,168,1,193,5,23

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:718]

200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:718]

SIZE /data/observations/metar/cycles/22Z.TXT

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:843]

213 630368

[09.12.2008 23:05:17:843]

RETR /data/observations/metar/cycles/22Z.TXT

[09.12.2008 23:05:18:125]

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /data/observations/metar/cycles/22Z.TXT (630368 bytes).

226 File send OK.

You can't using any file from this side directly. After downloading this file will be convertet in a proper format.

There is no solution, because we can't see the problem.

Regards,

Volker

Hi, this is my first time posting here, and I want to say FSC is undoubtedly the best purchase I ever made for Flight Simulator. Thanks for your help.

I was looking through this thread, and am having the same problem. I don't believe anyone is able to make the download because the readme file doesn't specify what file name to list on the options download tab for the weather. If you only put in the URL, it will fail.

So, since there is one hour listed for each hour of the day (00-23Z) I'm assuming you'll have to change the name in FSC to reflect the current time manually, unless FSC can change the file name on its own. Otherwise you'll just be getting whatever hour you put in before. For example, if you list 18Z as your file name, at 15Z it would actually be downloading the weather from the previous day. However, I tried doing this from inside FSC and the file was changed from "15Z.txt" to simply "15Z", which does not exist on the FTP. (I'm not sure if this is designed or not)

So, I went to look in the FSC.ini file, where it is also being recorded as only "15Z" (ie "WXFILE=22Z"). I'm reluctant to change this as I'm not sure if that is a normal feature, but could this be the issue?

It's not really a big deal for me, I mostly use FSC with VATSIM to monitor when I cross into a controller's airspace, and you did a great job getting that fixed quickly. Thanks again, and I hope this helps.

Very Respectfully,

Hi

I can also go to the website and see the metar text files for each hour,using the Ftp address, so why does't FSC? and as last poster has said how does it know which file to download.

I am sure yours is working, but are you sure you haven't missed something out in the new 8.4.1release

Derek

Hi Derek,

I am sure yours is working, but are you sure you haven't missed something out in the new 8.4.1release

There is nothing wrong in the 8.4.1 release because it works fine with hundreds of other users.

If you are sure that you are using build 09.12.08, then, after trying download the weather, close the program and send

following file FSC_Protocol.log to my e-mail adress which you find at the bottom on our homepage.

Regards,

Volker

Not working for me either, have the right build, ftp is good correct url port 21 is good to go, but keep getting that error, I sent volker an email but the protol log just says this;

FSC · Version 8.4.1 · Build:091208 - 12/10/2008 - 5:49:25 PM

Looking up the IP address for the server.

Found the IP address for the server.

Connecting to the server.

Connected to the server.

Receiving a response from the server.

Response was received successfully from the server, please wait...

Requesting information from the server.

The request was sent successfully to the server.

have no idea

Hi Volker

Just for others my build number was 011208 after the re install 091208, both were verasion 8.4.1,so you must have updated the update, It now says Downloading weather in White text, on the map, after clicking on download weather, which it didn't do before, but alas I still then get the dreaded error message. I wait your further guidance I have sent you to file you requested

Derek

Hi to all,

thank you to Derek, Howard, Ian and Finley which has sending the FSC_protocol.Log to me and also thank you to Lauren which has send the sniffing protocol.

I'm still investigate the problem and it's seems difficult because a lot of user's don't have this problem and there Log file looks different to yours.

Meanwhile, please be patient. Maybe I need your support again.

Regards,

Volker

btw For all other users, don't send more Log file to me.

Hallo Volker and the rest,

for your information, I do not have any problems whatsoever with the new weather scheme. But knowing Volker, I know that a quick solution is in the make.

Regards

Terence

Hello Volker, hello Sascha,

thank you for the Patch. It is working very fine, no problems. :D

Regards Eric

Helo,

I bought FSC in simmarket. I installed your patch but I can't retrieve the metar. My firewall accepted FSC and I have the same problem like other people with the error : Error downloading weather file. I controlled the adresse and it's right.

Here there are the FSC_protocol file :

FSC · Version 8.4.1 · Build:091208 - 11.12.2008 - 19:54:41

Looking up the IP address for the server.

Found the IP address for the server.

Connecting to the server.

Connected to the server.

I have FSC in network with Vista 32

Can you help me

thanks in advance

Yvan

Hi!

I installed patch 8.4.1 few minutes ago and I have the same problem like other: Error downloading weather.

Windows XP as client PC (FSC) / Windows XP as Master (FS9.1)

Regards

Rolf

PS.

My Log file looks like same as Yvan-AIB1038

Hi Volker,

I have just installed the FSC full 8.3, then update to 8.4 then patch 8.4.

I did this first on a new machine (but installed in C\:fsc) and the patch worked (no error with weather).

After this I deleted and reinstalled FSC on my main machine as above but this time in C:\program files and it had the weather failure. I then did a reinstall on the same machine but this time in the directory C:\FSC and the weather now works.

Not exhautive testing I Know but it appears on my machines that this could be related to the fact that files are in the program files directory.

hope that helps track down the problem.

OLdBadger