The simFlight Network Forums
barrendrop

online weather METARS

OldBager you are correct, I went into my program files and cut the aerosoft directory out and just pasted it in the root of C: , started it up downloaded weather and it works just fine.Except the metars do not match what is showing in my ASX, and I have that set to enable vatsim downloads, so is there a new problem with getting accurate metars. Weird stuff

Sorry guys I must have jumped the gun, back to getting the error, its funny though as soon I switched the directories was the first time I did not get the error, even though I never got a metar that even came close to matching the real conditions. But Im back to the same old spot "error in downloading weather file" Im starting to think its a problem with website. Even when it did access it correctly it still did not give the correct info.

Aloha everybody,

Like said OldBadger, I have reinstalled FSC in the folder D:\FSC before was C:\Program File\FSC and incredible the dowloading of weather is right :D

Thanks a lot for your help Oldbadger :lol:

Cheers

Yvan

There is nothing wrong in the 8.4.1 release because it works fine with hundreds of other users.

Regards,

Volker

This maybe so, but I to am getting an error whilst trying to download the weather.

This is the contents of my FSC_Protcol.log

FSC  · Version 8.4.1 · Build:091208 - 14/12/2008 - 03:02:00
Looking up the IP address for the server.
Found the IP address for the server.
Connecting to the server.
Connected to the server.
Receiving a response from the server.
Response was received successfully from the server, please wait...
Requesting information from the server.
The request was sent successfully to the server.

I notice there is a file called fsc_metar.tmp in the database folder, this file has the time stamp of my attempted download, but it is 0 bytes.

I have tried this on two computers, one with Windows XP and the other Windows Vista.

Regards

David

Hi Volker and team

Can we have an update on your progresss and thoughts in finding a solutions to these problems some of us are having.

Some cannot download (me for one)

Some can fix it by moving FSC into the root directory ( Doesnt work for me)

Some get information but find it is wrong when compared to real weather or Active SKY

regards

Derek

Hello,

I have just read the real metar from Montélimar (my city in France) LFLQ Oaci Code

METAR: LFLQ 171000Z 36011KT 320V040 9999 FEW013 SCT040 BKN090 04/00 Q1014

Downloaded Metar from FsCommander Menu:

Clic on the image to enlarge.

mini_081217115526190002885853.jpg

Download FSC give the metar 1h before real LFLQ download...maybe that we can see mini difference

Hi Volker

Thanks for the new patch and the manual procedure, this works for the time being, for me its not the answer, I need to find out what settings to change in windows /firewall to get it to do it automatic.

Derek

Hi everyone,

please read our announcement: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=74104

Regards,

Sascha & Volker

The 8.4.2 patch provides a nice workaround, thanks. A true "fix" may be somewhat more elusive. I had been experiencing the failure to download data since 8.4.1 was first installed. Watching the modem activity lights suggested that the download was not even beginning to happen, aborting after a very brief attempt to connect. Then, quite by accident, I had a successful download during an unusual early evening (GMT -7) try. So I began to experiment some more, again being successful late one afternoon. Today, the download failed at around 2210Z but succeeded at around 2303Z, successful again at around 0020Z and again at around 0145Z. I have never seen a successful download in the morning here (1600Z or so).

Edit: Just tried at 1400Z -- failed.

Hope this helps track down the "fault" if there is one.

Rick

I updated FSC to 8.4 and 8.4.1 patch. After dowloading I opened FSC and tried to download the Weather from the URL in the directions. The URL in the download doesnt work or needs updating. Do I need to change it also in the FSC.ini file to be recognized as the current URL or did the URL change entirely for the weather download. Please investigate there may be other users having the same problem. Also I was under the impression with the 8.4 update the actual map moves not the plane. Please advise. Oh I must say I think FSC is outstanding and the product support is too. Merry Christmas to everyone at Aerosoft. Without FSC I would not have the situational awareness that I now enjoy in FSX.

Hi,

I updated FSC to 8.4 and 8.4.1 patch. After dowloading I opened FSC and tried to download the Weather from the URL in the directions. The URL in the download doesnt work or needs updating.

as we have written in the file FSC84PatchEng.txt :

IMPORTANT!!!

you must also change the URL for the weather download. Start the

program and choose Window -> Options. Choose the "Downloads" card

and replace the current URL for the weather download by

ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observatiar/cycles/

Read also our announcement : http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=74104

Also I was under the impression with the 8.4 update the actual map moves not the plane. Please advise.

Make sure that you have activate Window -> Options -> Display -> Moving Map -> Move map instead of aircraft

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker

I have sent you a new email with attached latest Protocal file, still not working automatic but I think its getting closer , I have alter to tick boxes on my IE to do with FTP addresses

Derek

I think I see something wrong with my own protocol file:

FSC  · Version 8.4.2 · Build:171208 - 12/30/2008 2:15:10 AM
URL: ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles/ 12/30/2008 2:15:25 AM
WxFileName= 6:Z.TXT
Looking up the IP address for the server.
Found the IP address for the server.
Connecting to the server.
Connected to the server.
GET /data/observations/metar/cycles/6:Z.TXT F:\FSC\database\fsc_metar.tmp

You will see that the program is attempting to get a file called 6:Z.TXT from the server yet no file by that name exists. The files on the FTP site are actually called 0x.TXT where x is a number from 1 to 9. I don't know if this is a programming problem in translating to/from different versions of the OS. fsc_metar.tmp isn't being created as the URL for the current file from the FTP site is wrong. I have observed this across several hours this evening.

Also, you might want to avoid FTP by using the HTTP access for the same files from NOAA:

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observes/00Z.TXT

All 24 cycle files are available by simply changing the file name to correspond to the correct hour in ZULU time. I have also noticed that FSC8.4.2 is programmed to fetch the last hour's file. I have written programs that have taken advantage of this resource from NOAA and I am familiar with the problem that causes the need to take data that is an hour old: incomplete files. If you write a program to fetch this data NOW, you'll find that NOAA might still be updating the file and, thus, the file is incomplete. In any case, Sascha & Volker might find that the HTTP method is more reliable; especially if the program has been trained to look for a file corresponding to the latest ZULU cycle - 1.

The problem is, the file fsc_metar.tmp not exist.

if i rename the file fsc_metar.old in fsc_metar.tmp the procedure is correct.

when i update the Weather the file fsc_metar.tmp is deleted automatically and the problem is again.

scuse for my english

by

Miky

p.s.

this is my log.

GET /data/observations/metar/cycles/14Z.TXT C:\Program Files\FSC\database\fsc_metar.tmp

File: C:\Program Files\FSC\database\fsc_metar.tmp not exist!

Disconnecting from the server.

Disconnected from the server.

Hi Anonymous (names are sometimes useful for correct identification),

Thank you very much for your observation. We will fix this bug for the next version/patch.

The problem has, in fact, to do with the time format set in Windows control. We suspect that your current format is H:mm:ss; if you change this to HH:mm:ss, then everything will be fine. Of course, this is only a work around which, however, might help for the time being.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Miky,

Unfortunately the file you posted is not complete in that it doesn't tell us which version you are using.

If you don't have version 8.4.2, then you should download the patch from our website. If you do have the latest patch, please read the readme file carefully. You might belong to that group of people who have to manually download the weather file.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Hi Anonymous (names are sometimes useful for correct identification),

Thank you very much for your observation. We will fix this bug for the next version/patch.

The problem has, in fact, to do with the time format set in Windows control. We suspect that your current format is H:mm:ss; if you change this to HH:mm:ss, then everything will be fine. Of course, this is only a work around which, however, might help for the time being.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Oh, okay, so I should change my windows settings for this? I'll try that. I wrote a small program that fetches the file from NOAA and puts in the Database folder for FSC84.EXE to find and parse; the program then starts FSC84.EXE up. This is been a suitable work-around for now. Frankly, I don't mind showing the time in HH:MM:SS either. I'll report back with the results shortly.

EDIT and FOLLOW UP:

Sascha, changing to HH:MM:SS did the trick and the download works fine now.

Thank you.,