The simFlight Network Forums

Heading in the Bermuda triangle

I dont wish to scare you but my impairment is because of schitzophrenia. Not the type where people hear voices I must stress! :twisted: Parts of my brain do not communicate with eachother properly so although my eyes are perfectly fine, what goes into them registers in the wrong area of the brain and causes masses of confusion. I have discovered the brain to be a very bizare piece of meat that can completely change our perception of reality if something does not add up or goes astray. It can sometimes create a completely new reality by filling in blanks on its own accord again if input data is incorrect or does not fit with the current belief. So in general my problem is that my brain makes assumptions based on too much varied data then does not allow me to correct or pursue for the correct answer to problems because it has already decided that itself is correct and no more information is required so delivers it to the trash bin or somewhere more exciting. The most annoying part of this is that when someone points out the correct answer to me, I realise that I already knew it! It is unlikely for someone that not have this defect to understand, most think I am just crazy or ignorant lol. I see many people have this problem, it is just more apparent/amplified in me.

So the reason for my project is to create a flight environment that bombards me with indisputable data that cannot be argued with.

Neo was right, nothing is real it is just our perception. But the spoon is real because i am using it to eat all the leftover christmas pudding :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, me again. What is the offset value for the 'vacuum' gauge? I have searched the developer doc and googled for another description of it but no avail :(

I was going to leave this gauge from the display but it seems to be very important system behind all indicators. i.e no vac, no readings on anything so this is imprtant for fault diagnosis.

client-1.gif

thanks

Chris

Hi, sorry to be a pest but I have another small issue. I have just completed the NAV/COM display and everything fine apart from I noticed the COM value is supplied as 5 digits long (123.45), whereas the real pfd display shows 6 digits (123.455). Do I have to live with 5 digits only or am I doing somthing dumb as usual? The data is being read from offset as UShort

Dim COM1Freq As New Offset(Of UShort)(&H34E)

thanks

Chris

I have just completed the NAV/COM display and everything fine apart from I noticed the COM value is supplied as 5 digits long (123.45), whereas the real pfd display shows 6 digits (123.455).

Not in FS they don't not yet. That's a relatively new development (well, new in FS programming terms). FS doesn't support the new narrow channel separation yet, so the 3rd decimal digit isn't needed or used.

Pete

ah yes I see now a solution. The COM range after the decimal increments .025 i.e 130.025, 130.050, 130.075 so I just make the last digit value '5' if the second digit is 2 or 7. Hmm, that is assuming I have not missed something more obvious. All going well, very happy thanks!

Chris

hi Pete, I have a query for you about WideFS. The display app I am building currently working on has a host/client system similar to widefs and does not actually require widefs because I have my own host running on the main pc liasing with FSCUIP and serving connections to client etc. Well, i am thinking of scrubbing the host part of it and simply having the client lias with WideFS for the connection.

Advantage: No host to install or screw around with when i just want to run FS and FLY!

Disadvantage: WideFS client will need to be started on client machine prior to my client app starting. Also will need to register WideFS

I dont mind registering WideFS, I made a booboo when I registered and paid originally because I only registered and paid for the basic FSCUIP. I forgot to register WideFS also :( I know I can upgrade but 2 days ago my other half gave birth to my third son meaning all hobby money is going on nappies until mum says otherwise.

ok so to the point sorry, can I write the WideFS client into my client code so it simply connects to FS on launch? My code is VB and will ask my clever friend to do the coding so I dont give you more stress :x

At the moment i am waiting for Aerosofts FSMap serial to arrive which apparently requires WideFS to function as client. Do you know if this has a similar built in WideFS client or runs seperate?

Thanks

Chris

can I write the WideFS client into my client code so it simply connects to FS on launch?

No way, no.

All you need to do it put Wideclient into the Startup folder on your client PC. then it is always running and will connect and disconnect to FS when needed. Your program will connect to it just as if it were FS itself.

At the moment i am waiting for Aerosofts FSMap serial to arrive which apparently requires WideFS to function as client. Do you know if this has a similar built in WideFS client or runs seperate?

There are no programs with WideFs clients built in. Only one client is allowed per client PC. All communication for each PC is channelled through one link no matter how many client programs there are on a PC. It is much more efficient that way, believe me. the data needs of most client programs are similar.

On FSX, FSMap uses SimConnect I believe. It uses FSUIPC on FS9, so it will presumably be able to use WideFS for a network.

Pete

Hi again Pete, sorry to be a pest. In an earlier message I asked about the Kollsman window data and you recommended a particaular offset 0330 which seems great according to the docs but I am still lost over it? The data shown in FS is usually '29.92' for this value but the offset 0330 does not change in the interrogator output when I change the value in FS? Also the data output in interrogator looks nothing like 29.92. I am completely lost for this value, please help

Chris

Also the data output in interrogator looks nothing like 29.92.

The offset gives the pressure in Millibars, the 29.92 you're seeing in FS is the pressure in Inches of Mercury.

29.92 inHg = 1013.25 mb

So the conversion is like this:

Dim pressureOffset as Offset(of UShort) = new Offset(of UShort)(&H0330)
Dim pressureInHg as Double = pressureOffset.value / 16.0 / 33.8653

Unfortunately, I can't help on why the value in interrogator isn't changing, but Pete's back tomorrow.

Paul

Thanks Paul, i have the correct output now but the other problem remains. I change the Kollsman value in FS from 29.92 to 29.93 but the data output from FSCUIP remains as 29.92? It never moves?

Luckily I have never needed to change this data anyway but it would be nice to keep things accurate as possible where possible

Help appreciated

Chris

Thanks Paul, i have the correct output now but the other problem remains. I change the Kollsman value in FS from 29.92 to 29.93 but the data output from FSCUIP remains as 29.92? It never moves?

How are you changing this value? are you sure you are not changing the actual barometric pressure?

Luckily I have never needed to change this data anyway

If you have never needed to adjust the altimeter when how on Earth are you flying with the correct altitude shown. Except when flying Flight Levels you always have to adjust the Kollsman setting on the altitmeter to match the QNH value, otherwise the altitude will read incorrectly!

It sound to me as if you are changing the wrong thing.

Pete

Hi, here is a pic to show the value I am trying to work with. I assume from previous queries that this is the Kollsman window backed up by the fact that I have successfully retrieved this value (thanks paul) but it does not change when I adjust the altimeter setting knob? The value changes in FS but not in FSCUIP output

kollsman.jpg

Maybe i do not understand this value as much as i should and possibly missing a brick in the logic. Sorry if that is the case

Chris

Hi, here is a pic to show the value I am trying to work with. I assume from previous queries that this is the Kollsman window backed up by the fact that I have successfully retrieved this value (thanks paul) but it does not change when I adjust the altimeter setting knob? The value changes in FS but not in FSCUIP output

If that is truly the value you are adjusting, to set the altimeter correctly for the prevailing pressure (QNH), then why, as you say, do you never change it? That makes no sense to me.

The FSUIPC output of this value is used in many third party cockpits (e,g, using Project Magenta, Flight Deck Software, etc) including my own, and has always worked fine, no problem.

Please go into FSUIPC's options, find the Logging tab, enable Event logging (on the left) and add 0330 to the table on the right, as type U16. Check the "normal log" and "fs window" (or "advdisplay window" for FS9) below.

Now adjust the altimeter reading. See the value of 0330 on screen change. Show me the resulting Log (from the FS Modules folder).

BTW please ALWAYS state FSUIPC version numbers.

Regards

Pete

I increased the value and here is the log output below. The value displayed on the screen did not change when value altered

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.30 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Christopher Ellwood"

User Addr="c.ellwood2@btinternet.com"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

[Continuation log requested by user]

Running inside FSX (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

306265 System time = 12:46:25, FSX time = 12:41:46 (20:41Z)

306312 Monitor IPC:0330 (U16) = 16210

312437 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

313219 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

313969 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

314687 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

315453 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

316219 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

316765 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

317453 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

318015 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

318578 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

319047 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

319437 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

319703 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

319937 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

320156 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

320390 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

320656 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

321375 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

322937 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

323922 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

331594 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65794 (0x00010102), Param= 0 (0x00000000) PAUSE_ON

339156 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 33 secs = 33.9 fps

I increased the value and here is the log output below. The value displayed on the screen did not change when value altered

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.30 by Pete Dowson *********

First, I cannot support old versions of FSUIPC! Please update to at least 4.40 and try again!

Here 0330 reads "16212" when I set the Kollsman to read "29.92". One INC from that, to 29.93 gives me 16217, and one decrement gives me 16207.

What aircraft are you using? The value "16210" is the "STD" value (1013.25 hPa), maintained for flying Flight Levels, and on a real airliner cockpit, adjusting the altimeter whilst in STD mode does NOT change the setting, but changes the reading in a sub-scale. Are you sure the aircraft panel you are using isn't operating this way? Have you tried pressing the STD or BARO button on the EFIS?

Always test things with default aircraft in the first instance. And please make sure you are using supported versions next time you ask a question.

Regards

Pete

hmmm this is odd. I have been testing with the Cessna 172SP that has Garmin glass display as you already know. The follwing list is a timeline of what happened when I selected the standard Cessna (normal gauges) and the output recieved

1. Loaded default Cessna 172 and changed Altimeter calibration knob to 30.01.

"The FSCUIP data successfully changed to this value and displayed correctly as expected"

2. With the reading remaining at 30.01, I changed aircraft mid flight to the Cessna 172SP (Garmin glass display)

"Kollsman window successfully showed the reading as selected in previous aircraft in both FS and FSCUIP"

3. Remaining in the Cessna 172SP, I changed the altimeter setting to 30.15

"Kollsman window in FS changes as expected but FSCUIP output remained as 30.01"

4. Changed aircraft mid flight back to standard Cessna 172

"Suprised to see that the Kollsman reading was still at 30.01??"

So the Kollsman value is fine when going from standard Cessna to the 172SP but not the other way around. I cant get my head around this so am taking dogs for a walk :roll:

So the Kollsman value is fine when going from standard Cessna to the 172SP but not the other way around. I cant get my head around this so am taking dogs for a walk :roll:

Are you using FSUIPC 4.40 or later yet?

Anyway, the issue is not in changing aircraft, but in the different instrumentation. The "Kollsman window" is applicable to 'real' altimeters. The G1000 is actually a GPS, an additional instrument. Check the standby altimeter (surely there is one?).

The clue was actually in your log, but I missed it:

312437 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65883 (0x0001015b), Param= 2 (0x00000002) KOHLSMAN_INC

I've never seen that before, but it seems to direct the change to the knob on the G1000 and changes the pressure reading there. SimConnect does NOT supply FSUIPC (or anything else) with an updated altimeter reading.

Conversely, the normal Kohlsman INC /DEC controls, those with a parameter of 0 (it never had a parameter before) does alter the altimeter setting internally, and SimConnect does supply the update value, but the G1000 is not affected.

It looks as if the G1000 is a completely separate, independent system, unrelated to the usual FS instrumention. For most of its functions whey invented new controls (G1000+ ...") but it seems for this, instead of doing "G1000_KOHLSMAN_INC" and "DEC" (which would have made it obvious) they re-used the original control with a parameter value to direct it to the G1000 instead.

There's no information supplied by SimConnect for G1000 stuff, so FSUIPC can't supply it.

Regards

Pete

no worries, I am delighted with the level of accuracy dealt by FSCUIP so far in this project so will put this down to the 9/10 devil that always appears in my projects. maybe keep an eye out for this G1000 reading in future simconnect versions (assuming there will be future versions). btw, i did update to latest version prior to this test :D

This weekend I have a meeting with a helicopter instructor at southend airport. The point of the meeting is to take notes of the controls to aid my motion sim project but while there I will make a point of learning about this setting and its application.

thanks

Chris

... maybe keep an eye out for this G1000 reading in future simconnect versions

Thanks to hints by Tim Gregson (Beatle) which you have already seen, I can now read (but not write) the G1000 "Kohlsman" setting, using SimVar "KOHLSMAN SETTING MB:2".

To alter it you need the KOHLSMAN INC/DEC events/controls with a parameter of 2, to read it, read the offset 0332 (same units as 0330).

Supported with effect from FSUIPC version 4.419, available later today from the 2Updates" announcement above.

Regards

Pete

thanks Pete, yer a legend!

It has been a good day all round. Me and eldest son went to Southend airport today for some instrument tuition and ended up meeting some engineers who gave me a back stage pass to the Vulcan area where they were turning it around and firing up the hair dryers. One does not realise how huge this bird is until it move 2ft above your head.

Anyway, pressure settings were explained and I was able to tune to ATIS for the QNH data so to make the pressure adjustment. The adjustments are very modest so I dont think my virtual life was in danger when not giving it due respect in FS :)

SP_A0886.jpg

SP_A0887.jpg

it seems that is not the only problem with the G1000 as I discovered today. It looks like I have actually found a Bermuda Triangle within FS that affects only the G1000 heading display. This morning I was testing my app and loaded the default Friday Harbour with Cesna 172sp (G1000 version) but as it was loading my little son started crying for a feed. FS was left running on its own so the plane was heading straight for the mountains at heading 339 degrees

When I returned to the pc I discovered that the heading display in G1000 was showing the wrong reading? FSCUIP output remained at 339 degrees but the G1000 display was showing 220 ??? I then made a few small turns to discover the G1000 heading moving very eratically and completely out of sync with normal motion possibly twice the normal rate of turn. The G1000 heading is completely useless from this point, it never recovers even if you return to the start position. A reset is required

To re create this annomoly start at Friday harbour as default but with the Cessna 172sp with G1000.

Head in the standard direction 339 degrees and speed up 16x to get there quicker

Just as you approach the first land mass before the mountains the plane shakes and then the heading display goes off mark

Make a few small turns to see the heading display go completely crazy

To confirm this is craziness swap planes to something without G1000 and it is fine again

It is possible to slew to this location but slew must be turned off to show the problem

I wonder what this is about? Surely this is not meant to be?

Chris

heading_fault.jpg