The simFlight Network Forums

Need help getting FSUIPC4 to work

THIS HAS BEEN MODIFIED (I also added Flight SIm x Service Pack 1)

Since I posted this a few hours ago, I found another post similiar and have made some corrections, but it still will not work. I am replacing the new FSUIPC4 INstall version 4.40 after I made changes.

Maybe this will help identify the problem I'm having.

I don't think it's my GPS Connection as I am able to load and use GPSOUT with the FS9 ( 2004 version), and it works fine with my GPS 396.

However, for two days I have tried to get FSUIPC for FS X working. It appears to load but there's nothing under the "add on menu". The add on shows FSUIPC, but when I click on it, it just opens the option & Settings menu.

My computer is WindowsXP.

Below is a copy of the loading program which may help you see what is wrong.

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.40

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

SetupPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61355.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Okay, Probe Manifest matches installed SimConnect 60905 (Original)

Found later build SimConnect 61242 (SP1 May07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... Version 4.400 found.

FSX Modules folder already exists.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Documents and Settings\Archie Harrell\Application Data"

Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Adrian\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Archie Harrell\Application Data"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Documents and Settings\Archie Harrell\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"!

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\C7180\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data"

No FSX.CFG there

Now installing additional files into the Modules folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

FSUIPC4.DLL installed and signature checked out okay!

Deleted GlobalSign Root fix programno longer relevant

All installer tasks completed okay!

Registration check for FSUIPC4 was cancelled or failed! (result code 10)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

[General]

History=ZUPFQAI13Q0G5VL4KGAVB

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

AxisCalibration=No

DirectAxesToCalibs=No

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes

SuppressSingleline=No

SuppressMultilineFS=No

AxisIntercepts=No

WeatherReadFactor=2

WeatherRewriteSeconds=1

CustomWeatherModify=No

SimConnectStallTime=1

Console=No

LogWeather=Yes

LogWrites=Yes

LogReads=Yes

LogEvents=Yes

LogLua=Yes

LogAxes=Yes

LogButtonsKeys=Yes

LogExtras=Yes

ConsoleWindow=22,22,690,393

[WideServer]

WideFSenabled=Yes

[GPSout]

Port=

Speed=4800

Interval=1000

PosTo6Decimal=Yes

However, for two days I have tried to get FSUIPC for FS X working. It appears to load but there's nothing under the "add on menu". The add on shows FSUIPC, but when I click on it, it just opens the option & Settings menu.

Sorry, but there appears to be an obvious contradiction there. You say there's "nothing" in the Add-Ons menu, but then go on to say there IS an FSUIPC entry, and that "just opens the options & Settings menu"!

If there IS an Add-Ons menu, and it DOES contain FSUIPC, and when selected, FSUIPC DOES open the Options and Settings menu, then it all works. That is EXACTLY what it is supposed to do. Have you not looked at the User Guide at all?

The install log, of course, confirms that it was all installed okay, but it also shows this:

Registration check for FSUIPC4 was cancelled or failed! (result code 10)

Did you deliberately not check your FSUIPC4 registration?

I'm not sure why you provided the FSUIPC4.INI file, which appears to be the default, showing you've made no settings of your own yet. The Log file would have been much more informative, as it tells us what FSUIPC4 made of your setup. However, the INI file does show that, if the GPSout facility isn't working for you, it is simply because you have not gone to the GPSout tab and enabled it. There's not even a Port specified!

Maybe you've forgotten to Register FSUIPC4? Without registration you get no user facilities. I think you should possibly take a few moments to at least browse through the User Guide, get some idea of what FSUIPC is all about?

Regards

Pete

Pete

"Did I deliberately not check he FSUIPC4 registeration"?

I'm just not too sharp on the computer. After the FSUIPC4 file was installed, there was a place and I tried to register and was even willing to pay -- even though I thought it had said I could use the program on a trial basis first. (That was my first choice) When I tried to register, I had no idea where to get the Key Code, So, my only choice was to proceed with out registering.

Upon your recommendaion, I did go back and read the used guide, but I still did not figure out how to register.

I was looking at the program to see if it would allow me to run flight SIm X with the Garmin 396 GPS. Is there's a way, would I be able to try it before paying?

I am not aware of how to enable the GPSout facility, or how to specify a port. Since I'm not too sharp with the computer, I just sent you what I hoped would help.

Thanks you for any futher assistance.

Archie Harrell;

After the FSUIPC4 file was installed, there was a place and I tried to register and was even willing to pay -- even though I thought it had said I could use the program on a trial basis first.

No. The program can be installed for use as an interface for client applications, but the User Facilities are only available after Registration. There's no where which talks about any user trials.

When I tried to register, I had no idea where to get the Key Code

Click on the link in the documentation, or on the Web site where you downloaded FSUIPC, or in the list of supported versions in the Announcements above. It is really, really hard to miss! There's even a whole page about it in the documentation, even how to pay by post if you don't want to use credit cards!

Upon your recommendaion, I did go back and read the used guide, but I still did not figure out how to register.

The user guide tells you exactly how to register, with pictures even, once you have purchased a key. Without a key you cannot register. And the documentation tells you how and where to purchase a key, as do virtually all other places talking about FSUIPC!

I was looking at the program to see if it would allow me to run flight SIm X with the Garmin 396 GPS. Is there's a way, would I be able to try it before paying?

No. but you said you had it working with FS9 using the free GPSout program didn't you? You said "I am able to load and use GPSOUT with the FS9 ( 2004 version), and it works fine with my GPS 396."

So, it will work with the GPSout facility built into FSUIPC4, once you register.

I am not aware of how to enable the GPSout facility, or how to specify a port. Since I'm not too sharp with the computer

Since it is a lot easier to set up with FSUIPC4 than it was with FSUIPC + GPSout on FS9, it makes me wonder how you managed that, then? Or did someone do it for you?

The documentation is more comprehensive for the GPSout facility in the FSUIPC4 user guide than the small text file provided with GPSout, and its options dialogue does have a checkbox to enable it, and a place to enter the Port. You just need to actually read the right part of the User Guide! There's even a contents list to help you find it quickly! And there isn't a file to edit with some complex text editor as you had to with GPSout! I really cannot understand how you find it all harder now when it is all made so much easier! Can you explain that?

Regards

Pete

You wrote:

Since it is a lot easier to set up with FSUIPC4 than it was with FSUIPC + GPSout on FS9, it makes me wonder how you managed that, then? Or did someone do it for you?

Yes, when I bought my Garmin 396, someone told me about your GPSOUT program –so I could practice without flying the aircraft. They then walked me through installing about 4 lines of information in the INI GPSOUT. I think it was sentences=AV400 Interval=200 Port=Com1 Speed 9600. After that, all I had to do was plug in my GPS to the computer and open FS 9 and the GPS worked just as if I were in the aircraft. I thought it was a Fanrtastic program!

You wrote:

The documentation is more comprehensive for the GPSout facility in the FSUIPC4 user guide than the small text file provided with GPSout, and its options dialogue does have a checkbox to enable it, and a place to enter the Port. You just need to actually read the right part of the User Guide!

If there was a small text file with the GPSOUT – I don’t recall it. This was probably why after installing the FSUIPC4 program, I never looked for a user guide. I never dreamed the FSUIP4 program covered so many other areas.

I feel like a six grader who stumbled into a college class. I was only looking for a program to allow FS X to work with the GPS – where as I could delete my FS9 program.

I really appreciate your prompt replies and the time you have spent with me.

I think it was sentences=AV400 Interval=200 Port=Com1 Speed 9600. After that, all I had to do was plug in my GPS to the computer and open FS 9 and the GPS worked just as if I were in the aircraft. I thought it was a Fanrtastic program!

Okay. When you've registered FSUIPC4, on the GPSout page of the options, in FSX itself (in the AddOns-FSUIPC menu) you will see Sentences, Interval, Port and Speed selections and you can enter them there. No file to edit, FSUIPC4 does that for you.

If there was a small text file with the GPSOUT – I don’t recall it.

Well, that and a sample configuration file was all it came with.

I feel like a six grader who stumbled into a college class. I was only looking for a program to allow FS X to work with the GPS – where as I could delete my FS9 program.

Well, the separate GPSout program needed FSUIPC installed for it to work too, and that came with a User Guide which I suppose you ignored too? :-)

All that has happened is that GPSout is now incorporated into FSUIPC4, and is no longer freeware. The fact that the GPSout documentation has then been improved and included in the FSUIPC4 documentation wouldn't matter to you if you never even saw any for the old GPSout! If you don't want to look at any other parts of it it won't matter. But you need to get a Key then Register (which you do at the Installation stage, so you'd need to re-run the Installer after you've obtained your key).

Regards

Pete