The simFlight Network Forums

Mouse buttons emulation?

Ig

Hello,

I'd like to assign a keystroke (say "o") to the mouse middle button click in FS9. Is it possible with FSUIPC? I mean I want kestroke "o" to send the middle button click of the mouse to FS9.

Thanks,

Ig.

I'd like to assign a keystroke (say "o") to the mouse middle button click in FS9. Is it possible with FSUIPC? I mean I want kestroke "o" to send the middle button click of the mouse to FS9.

No.

But what does the middle button click do in FS? You would surely instead assign "o" to the FS control which is by default assigned to the middle button click.

Pete

Pete, it's quite long and related to having FSX and FS9 on the same machine, using ActiveCamera (middle button) in FS9 and mouse look in FSX ('o' or any other keystroke but the mouse click), and one PS/2 port ONLY on my latest motherboard. The story just only starts here so I'll wind up by saying 'I wish it were possible' and 'thank you'.

(If anyone gets interested let me know, I can tell the whole story).

Cheers,

Ig.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

This is my my first post so here goes. I use FSX and have a new Logitech mouse with novel Left and Right click functions on the scroll wheel (as well as the normal down click). I want to assign the L and R click functions to key presses via FSUIPC. My goal is to operate the MAIN and SECONDARY buttons in FS2Crew from the mouse. This is very useful as other FS2Crew users may well agree. But FSUIPC doesn't detect my mouse at all. Only my joystick and kbd. It does allow a mouse macro however so maybe I'm missing something? Any suggestions very welcome.

Best wishes

Gareth

SPAIN

This is my my first post so here goes. I use FSX and have a new Logitech mouse with novel Left and Right click functions on the scroll wheel (as well as the normal down click). I want to assign the L and R click functions to key presses via FSUIPC.

Sorry, FSUIPC isn't a mouse programming program at all.

But FSUIPC doesn't detect my mouse at all. Only my joystick and kbd. It does allow a mouse macro however so maybe I'm missing something?

You are misunderstanding the term "mouse macro" -- the idea of that facility is to allow something to be controlled by keystroke or button which otherwise is only accessible by mouse. One of the prime aims in cockpits is to do away with both keyboards and mice -- in fact the only real reason for the keyboard programming facilities is to support those button-connection hardware boards which emulate key strokes (programmable) from button presses.

If you really prefer using a mouse you are well catered for in almost all FS add-ons as many of them need only a mouse. No FSUIPC programming needed at all then!

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks lg and Pete,

My question betrayed my lack of real understanding of the purpose of FSUIPC in its present incarnation. I'm not sure who's fault that really is. I believe it is shared. Forget the fact that I am an RAF-trained pilot and honours graduate, like most things 'technical' the supporting documentation seems to start from the engineer's perspective rather from that of the layman, who wants to see: 'this little programme will let you do this, this and this, and this is how you will benefit'. Look at almost any user manual. I subscribed to FSUIPC out of appreciation and loyalty for what it had enabled me, as a casual simmer to do for free, for so long, in earlier versions of FS. But then I asked myself 'hey, what more might this little gem be able to do?' No expectations however.

When setting up the PMDG 744 in conjunction with FS2Crew the mouse is used intensively. Its intuitive. I have a SAITEK Av8R joystick and it can be programmed that for the purpose but due to its limitations its actually easier to use keyboard presses in the end. So the L/R clicks of the mouse wheel (you must admit its a clever idea) is an elegant solution - or at least it would be. And sure, the Logitech mouse in question has its own programmable software. I assigned the L and R click to key presses. I assigned those same key presses to the MAIN and SECONDARY buttons in FSUIPC. But to no avail. The FS2CREW interface employs a gauge that recognises only the joystick and keyboard inputs you have entered and that's that. Its not a big deal to me, and certainly no implied criticism of FSUIPC at all.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth, I think you're confused here. Let's take a single concrete example. Give me a keystroke you want to send to either PMDG or FS2Crew. I'll try to walk you through from there.So far I don't see why you would need FSUIPC between your mouse and FS2Crew and/or PMDG in this particular case.

Cheers,

Ig.