The simFlight Network Forums

Any problem using DX10 schedules with DX9?

bradray

If I understand correctly, the DX10 models are much better in terms of quality and performance. What isn't clear to me though is whether or not I need to enable the DX10 preview mode to take advantage of these. It is recommended in the manual to use DX9 schedules with DX9 mode and DX10 schedules with DX10 preview enabled.

However, is it still OK to use the DX10 schedules and not enable DX10?

If they are better in terms of quality and performance I would like to use them.

If it wasn't for the ugly flashing runway texture bug with DX10 preview I would use it.

However, is it still OK to use the DX10 schedules and not enable DX10?

Yes this is exactly what I do all the time, you will see less variety of aircraft and you will see no military aircraft either apart from the Chinook (which looks awful by the way, too shiny) but performance will be very good. I can run traffic at 100% pretty much anywhere in Europe on my Q6700 overclocked mildly to 3.2Ghz.

I gave this a try last night. I was able to bump my traffic sliders up another 20% or so. This is using performance models and performance airports. I tried with normal airports and high quality/animation models, but the fps hit was a little too high. That's OK, because I'm happy with the quality and amount of traffic I'm seeing.

Thank you for your quick replies. A co-worker was trying to convince me to get TrafficX because it is all FSX models, but being able to run MyTraffic DX10 models saved me from wanting to switch.

When you make a comparison of Traffic X to MyTraffic X, you will see that MyTraffic has twice the number of FSX models, paints on FSX models, airlines, while the JFAI models need more than twice the CPU load, are less detailed and make little usage of FSX technology.