The simFlight Network Forums

I wish you could delete parts of your stars, I was flying online as I usually do and was on the sunss6 arrival into kchd, I was told that after waypoint xxx, proceed direct waypoint yyy then zzz. I was able to place those waypoints into the flightplan but what was really annoying was the remains of the star left over. You should be able to delete any waypoint in your flightplan weather its part of a sid/star or not.

Hi Ian,

although I have commented on this various times before, here again: NO, NO, NO. You CANNOT delete a waypoint of a STAR (or a SID for that matter), because then it is no longer a STAR. A SID/STAR is a sequence of fixed waypoints issued by aviation authorities, and they only exist in the form in which they are published. You can delete an entire SID/STAR, and then insert any number of waypoints instead, but the result is NEVER, EVER a SID/STAR. If ATC tells you to go directly to some waypoint, be it included in some SID/STAR or not, then you are leaving the SID/STAR. All this is a matter of principle and a matter of definition. Suggesting to be able to delete a waypoint from a SID/STAR is "as unreal as it gets".

So we are certainly not going to change that, but nevertheless we are grateful for any suggestion to improve the programm.

Thanks a lot and Regards

Sascha

Im talking about the functionality of the way you can insert waypoints into your flight plan. I know that sids and stars can not be changed. In fsc they are highlighted in blue. Now say Im already on the star, then atc says after waypoint zzz direct to xxx then yyy, I enter them into the flight plan, now I want to clean up the rest of the waypoints that Im not going to use. Now I know that I can use the delete star option, but it deletes everything including the new waypoints I entered because they fall between to highlighted blue waypoints.

fsc.jpg

Now as you can see in my pic, when I was online the other day, already on the SUNS6 arrival between SLAMN and BBALL, when I recieved after BBALL direct to NISIW DECTU KEDDU, so now I want to delete SUNSS and HOOPS, but I can't, without deleting the entire star, which then deletes eveything. then I have to scramble to find all those waypoints again.

I take your point about SIDs and STARs being established routes but Controllers can (and do) direct us to mid-route points to leap frog traffic or manage traffic flow. We can't do that while the SIDs and STARs are locked.

Would it be possible to add a button to the FP box that converts SIDs and STARs to straightforward waypoint lists and removes their designation as part of a SID/STAR?

That way we can build a flight plan by loading SIDs and STARs but if ATC sends us direct to a mid-route point we can do a quick conversion and delete the bits we'll be missing but without losing the rest of the departure or arrival route.

Cheers

Ian

Or just remove the lock on the sid/stars, keep them in highlighted, so the user will know that these are the waypoints for the proper arrival or departure. But it will allow the user also especially when flying online to make quick adjustments to there plan as called for by atc. Sids and Stars are published and if assigned by atc that is the route you follow, but that does not mean that they are locked in your fmc. I think it would be funny to suggest that say a 737 pilot that has been deviated from his arrival and has been given a couple waypoints to follow, that when he goes into his fmc to clean things up that he see a message saying that he can not delete a single point of a star. :lol: