The simFlight Network Forums
Tord Hoppe

Overwrote scenery.cfg, now FSX won´t start.

Hi all, I may have messed up my installation a bit.

As per the instructions here I copied the scenery.cfg from C:\Documents and Settings...\Microsoft\FSX into the main FSX fodler, in my case D:\FSX. When I did that there already was an existing scenery.cfg there which I promptly overwrote. Only then did I see that the file I copied into FSX should have been renamed scenerycfg.fsc... I then made one more copy and changed its name, but the original scenery.cfg is of course still overwritten by my first paste.

Now FSX doesn´t start. I get a fatal error. I´ve inserted the discs and tried to run Repair, rebooted the computer but it still won´t work. The scenery.cfg file starts with:

[General]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Description=FS9 Scenery Data

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

So, should there be a scenery.cfg in the FSX folder by default? I´ve tried the MS FSX Repair after removing the scenery.cfg and it´s re-installed, so I suspectthat the problem lies elsewhere, but have no clue as to where.

Tord,

I'm not real familiar with the FSX file structure, but I would suggest trying the Recycle Bin. The deleted file may be there.

Hope this helps,

GLenn

Glenn, thanks but no go. When I pasted the file I simply wrote over the already existing one. However, since then I´ve tried removing the file and then choose Repair when I insert the FSX DVD. This re-installs a new scenery.cfg which means that there should be no problem with it.

If I remove and then re-install FSX, leaving my addons in place, will the existing addons work or do I have to re-install them as well?

Like Glenn, I would try everything before having to do a reinstall...any chance that a system restore may help!

Thanks guys, unfortunately I don´t have a system restore point. I´m going to re-install FSX. It´s not that big a deal since the only addons I have "in" it are the PMDG MD-11 and the Flight1 Cessna Mustang. Should be a fairly quick deal to reinstall things. I´ll create restore points before installing each addon to be on the safe side. I´ve never used system restores before, there´s a first for everything.

See ya, and thanks for your ideas!