The simFlight Network Forums

ini file/usb ports

Dear,

I have bought a new pc and reinstalled everything I had running on my older one.

I copied all fsuipc files into the module folder. I had made a lot of changes to fsuipc on the old pc.

Now everything is mixed up with my controls and assignments.

I have read a thread about the change of usb ports. So probably my ports in the ini file do not correspond with the new ports on my new motherboard. How can I get this fixed so I get back all my settings properly?

Thanks

Kim

Now everything is mixed up with my controls and assignments.

I have read a thread about the change of usb ports. So probably my ports in the ini file do not correspond with the new ports on my new motherboard.

Even reinstalling Windows or simply plugging things in differently on the same motherboard can do that.

How can I get this fixed so I get back all my settings properly?

There have been lots of changes in FSUIPC recently to assist in this very problem, but now you are in the mixed up state you'll need to do some work on it.

These changes have not made it yet to an "official" user release, and so the User Guide is not yet updated. But please take a look at the Updates announcement near the top of this Forum. Scan down to the item starting

When first loaded, and each time the FSUIPC Options dialogue is used, FSUIPC will now scan the registry and make a list of the names lodged there for each of those connected joysticks which it refers to by the numeric 0-15 IDs. These names are listed against their ID number in a new Section called [JoyNames].

You will find that this should assist you enormously. You can get FSUIPC to automatically covert all of the parameter entries for you -- they will then still be incorrect, but then, after closing FS and looking in the FSUIPC INI file you'll be able to swap things merely by changing the letter assigned for each of the named joysticks in the [JoyNames] section.

From then on, any changes will be tracked UNLESS the name of the joystick changes (which can actually happen if you update a joystick driver). There is an exception, of course, when more than one joystick has exactly the same name. you'd need to check which was which experimentally then, in FS.

You'll need to download and install the interim update using the link provided. Note that both FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4 are being updated again tonight, so you may wish to wait until tomorrow, or at least replace it again tomorrow.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

thanks for the fast reply.

I have read the other updates post but it is a bit difficult to understand. I understand the part which explains the method to swap the numerics to letters a-z. But I am not sure what to swap exactly.

Could you please briefly explain which steps I have to do with my old ini file to make it work on my new PC.

Thanks again pete.

Regards

Kim

I have read the other updates post but it is a bit difficult to understand. I understand the part which explains the method to swap the numerics to letters a-z. But I am not sure what to swap exactly.

Show me the results in the [Joynames] section and I can discuss it with you, but I think you will find it blindingly obvious.

Could you please briefly explain which steps I have to do with my old ini file to make it work on my new PC.

Have you even downloaded the update and tried it yet? I can help you sort out specifics but I'm not going to translate my English into another language. Sorry. You have to actually do something too!

I'm out now for a few hours anyway. Why don't you simply have a go. Run it, Look at it. Do as I said!

Pete