The simFlight Network Forums
MeatWater

Import for Active Sky weather

Hi Meatwater,

FS Commander uses the weather data issued by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminitration) which to the best of our knowledge is the most reliable world-wide weather information source. I have no idea which source is being used by Active Sky. If they use the same source, then trivially no problem arises. If they don't, then we still think that the NOAA weather data are superior to any other source.

Regards

Sascha

You misunderstood me - the point is not to have the most recent real weather displayed, but the weather FS will actually depict. When loading archived weather into the sim, FSC will display the real weather, not the loaded weather. If FSC could be pointed towards the AS metar file, this would be a great improvement as a) FSC would display the same REAL weather as would be used in FS and b) FSC would be able to display archived weather loaded into the sim.

And while you are at it, please make control areas appear/pop up when hovering over them, not just their borders, and add an export function for Integrated Simavionics (just the option of adding a directory, no need to convert anything).

Hi MeatWater,

thanks for you clarification; I guess I know now what you mean. If I understand you correctly, then basically want us to synchronize the weather displayed on our map with the weather used by ActiveSky, Jeppesen or whatever source. For conceptual reasons we are highly hesitant to do this. FS Commander is basically a flight planning tool and in order to make realistic flights you obviously need to know what the real weather is. For this we use the NOAA source.

If you decide to fly under real-world weather conditions then no problem should arise no matter where the weather data come from. If you decide NOT to fly under real-world weather conditions, but rather under weather conditions that are saved by whatever program in whatever file, then this situation is beyond the intentions of our program.

Second, you would want the entire control zone being highlighted rather than just its borders (while you fly over it). Although this is clearly an option, I currently see no compelling reason why this should be done.

Third, what is Integrated Simavionics?

Regards

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

allow me to jump in here, as the weather thing is something I'd like to know, too.

I think the point is to be able to have the same weather in FSC as used in FS itself - be it real time or archived. It cuts the need for an extra tool to get FS synchronous weather information from. Because, even with real time weather there are differences between the sources.

Example: Current weather at EDDF

AS6.5: 22008KT 6000 -SN FEW010 BKN028 BKN130 01/M01 Q1018 TEMPO 4000 BKN014

FSC: 28007 CAVOK 05/02 Q1028

IVAO: 22008KT 2800 SN SCT006 BKN010 00/M00 Q1018 BECMG 4000 BKN013

IVAO and AS are not using the same source, but are pretty close. FSC is different (maybe more accurate, I'm currently not in EDDF to check, but still different).

I use FSC as an overall inflight tool (enroute chart, airport charts, navaids, frequencies), but for the weather I have to use something else (AS mostly), because the FSC weather is so different that I sometimes find out that even a different runway is in use than what I had expected from the FSC weather reading. Same goes, of course, for archived weather.

Integrates SimAvionics is a universal avionics software simulating a variety of glass cockpit avionics made by Ernie Alston, and it has its own flight plan format.

Regards

Boris

Integrates SimAvionics is a universal avionics software simulating a variety of glass cockpit avionics made by Ernie Alston, and it has its own flight plan format.

Yes and no -> the gauges can read FS flightplans as well. I think it would be sufficient if there was simply a possibility of saving FSC created flight plans to the ISG flightplan directory.

As for the other ideas, I have written Sascha a private message in German (our native language) explaining the whole thing in detail and in order to prevent further misunderstanding due to language issues.

I think MeatWater has a great idea, but I also think it would probably be a massive undertaking to fully integrate Active Sky into FSC. I use both programs and also Radar Contact as my flight controller. All three programs work together well enough for me on two monitors. I switch back and forth from FSC to Active Sky on monitor two all the time. ASky is always updating the weather. As has been said, FSC is the flight planner and moving map. To have it advise us to turn right to avoid that thunderstorm is perhaps asking a bit too much. I listen to Radar Contact weather reports and fly with that.

Just my thoughts,

Barry

I think MeatWater has a great idea, but I also think it would probably be a massive undertaking to fully integrate Active Sky into FSC. I use both programs and also Radar Contact as my flight controller. All three programs work together well enough for me on two monitors. I switch back and forth from FSC to Active Sky on monitor two all the time. ASky is always updating the weather. As has been said, FSC is the flight planner and moving map. To have it advise us to turn right to avoid that thunderstorm is perhaps asking a bit too much. I listen to Radar Contact weather reports and fly with that.

Just my thoughts,

Barry

This is not the purpose of using the weather display. When you plan a flight, you need to know the exact weather as it will be in the sim in order to go for the right RW, SID and STAR. The same procedures are used with professional dispatching software such as LIDO or flightplanners such as FliteStar. Their weather display is for planning purposes only, not realtime weather monitoring.