The simFlight Network Forums

2 sets of controls?

I have two sets of controls that I want to use.

I have a Saitek Yoke with an extra Throttle , that way I can use it for 2 engine aircraft.

I also Have the Saitek X-52 controlsit has a stick and throttle

I also have the Saitek rudder pedals.

The way I currently wish to use themI have both sets mounted on a board that I set on top of my desk. I use the Yoke and extra throttle for flying GA type aircraft i.e Baron, Goose etc Use the X-52 for fighter i.e. f-16

When I swap the out I plug them into the same USB port on a hub.

BTW I am using FSX sp1 with accel .. and also Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS and currently FSUIP4 ver 4.40 will upgrade tonight to 4.50

I have not been using aircraft specific when setting up the yoke and throttles. I read something on the forum about profiles but didn't see anything in FSUIP4 about profiles.

I really just want to know the best way to set all this up. I can not leave all the controllers plugged in at the same time because of space restrictions. Should I use different usb ports, does it matter? Revert to aircraft specific and set up the different controllers for the individual planes?

I think the more I read the more I am makeing it harder on me. Let me also say thisI have not tried setting up the X-52 via FSUIP4 yet. Also I do not have their (Saitek) software loaded only the drivers.

Thanks,

John

When I swap the out I plug them into the same USB port on a hub.

That is NOT a good idea. Plug them in to separate ports and never swap them about. Assign specifically in FSUIPC's axis assignments and it will take care of the swapping for you. Calibrate specifically as well to suit the different controls and different aircraft. Disable joysticks in FS.

I have not been using aircraft specific when setting up the yoke and throttles. I read something on the forum about profiles but didn't see anything in FSUIP4 about profiles.

That's because there were no Profile facilities in 4.40. There's a whole Chapter about them in the 4.50 user guide.

I really just want to know the best way to set all this up. I can not leave all the controllers plugged in at the same time because of space restrictions. Should I use different usb ports, does it matter?

Yes, in general it does matter. There are facilities in FSUIPC 4.50 to keep track of your controls in case you do move them -- you'd need to enable that if you want to use it. FSUIPC would then refer to your controls by letters, A, Betc (or whatever you choose). This is possible, but it isn't as good as simply leaving them plugged in. Aren't the wires long enough for you to leave them connected but shoved out of the way, under your desk or somewhere?

Revert to aircraft specific and set up the different controllers for the individual planes?

Best to use the Profiles. Set up one profile for one set of controls, using your favourite aircraft for those, then ditto for the other set. Thereafter assign each aircraft you fly to one or the other.

This won't work very well if you don't keep them all plugged in. You'd probably have to close FSX down and restart it each time you changed, in order to get them recognised again. If they are left connected everything becomes automatic according to which aircraft you load.

Regards

Pete

Thank You Peteyou pretty much told me everything I thought. The problem that I have with keeping them all plugged in is the fact that I have them mounted on boards that then mount to my desktopI know it sounds strange but works best for my desk. I think what I am going to do is use separate hubs for each set of controllers, that way I can leave them plugged in all the time just move the one set with its hub around to a side of the desk. It give me more length on the cables that way and gets them out of the way. Also I really like the idea of using the Profiles!!! Thank you very much for adding that! I will get ver 4.50 installed tonight and start getting everything setup. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Thank You again Pete, :D :D

John

Hi Petejust a quick update I didn't have alot of time last night but what I have done so far is added the other USB HUB and put the X-52 controllers off of that hub and am leaving it connected. I also upgraded to ver 4.50 last night and created a profile I named PROPbasically a twin engine setup for planes like the Baron, the other profile is fighters for the use of the x-52 contollers. So far things are working out, I have lots to do yet. I need to finish the prop profile, i.e. setup the PAN switch and all the other buttons and key pressesalso I really need to work on calibrating the throttles#1 is way off only get about 50% power right now and it was very rough to try and takeoff and flybut I'm getting there.

I'll update you later on the progress.

Thanks Pete,

John