The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burkhard

Network Plans

MyTraffic has come quite a way over the last years, grown permantly in quantity, quality and performance. We get more and more beautiful high polygon high performance planes with thousands of paints, and a constantly improvement of the airport base.

So it has come the time to think about how to improve the schedules used by MyTraffic. While the main mission will remain that these schedules must follow the rules of MyTraffic, I know many of you dream of a simple way to improve your setup, and we all dream of a simple way to share these improvements to get an over more realistic picture on the world airports - without completely removing the surprising guests.

The outcome of about 6 months of thinking, planning and a few days of prgramming you can get from the little download, and it will hopefully make its way into version 5.2a due in spring. I call this concept "Network Plans". Basically, the idea is to take the route maps of airlines like you can find under

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Europe/ntal.shtml, and to have an easy interface to convert these into something MyTraffic Editor can use.

Basically you start Network_Plan.exe, select an airline, and get confronted with the aircraft included in MyTraffic and eventually already existing plans. You can add, modify or delete such plans. Everything gets stored automatically when changing the actual airline, or when, you do it at the end, you write the Network_plan.txt file.

The new MyTraffic editor, whenever you invoke an autoschedule ( or use the special menu item for debugging purposes ) automatically schedules the flights along these plans - and than only fills the remaining slots with random schedules as it did before.

Hope you like it - comments and proposals what to improve please here.

Did anybody try this out?

My further idea on this is the following: Making such a plan for one airlines is simple and fast. East airline creates a file for itself, so just an upload of the little text file, best zipped, would be enough to exchange them.

Burkhard,

I understand this is a work in progress and as such will have errors, but I see a lot of potential in this program.

I loaded it up, created a plan based on your documentation and found the following so far...

1. I have my desktop background set to black by my choice. With this color none of the menu item names will display in Network.exe . Any other color works OK.

Maybe it would be possible to allow user to pick a color for the network.exe background from within the program?

2. If you are looking at a plan already defined, then you decide to create a new plan, a method for clearing the entry fields is needed. Presently you have to clear each field manually

using the backspace key or highlighting the text and hitting the delete key.

4. When you fill in airline info to add a new airline each time you press it adds the airline again. Should be allowed only one time.

3. If you create a new flight plan, enter all information, then click on the Airline name (box on right side) before saving the network.txt file it gives an exception error.

I'll continue to test as I have time.

Thanks, that is what this early demo is good for.

Point 1 reminds me of problems I had with early versions of Traffic Board. What exactly don't you see, the text in the menu bar or the text on the buttons.

2 should at least ask if you want to add a second instance.

4 a delete all plans for this airline buttons should be simple, is that what you propose?

3. should not happen, it should just store the file and open the other one...

Yes I rememeber point 1 too. It affected users of the "Windows 2000 desktop theme" on Windows XP. Could that be a factor here? I never got to the bottom of the issue, just coded around it.

Regards

Simon

Answers embedded in your reply in bold...

Thanks, that is what this early demo is good for.

Point 1 reminds me of problems I had with early versions of Traffic Board. What exactly don't you see, the text in the menu bar or the text on the buttons.

In the menu bar(s) and also next to the field boxes. The buttons are OK.

2 should at least ask if you want to add a second instance.

Maybe. For example if I needed another plan where only the departure or destination airport changed I could just remove that field.

4 a delete all plans for this airline buttons should be simple, is that what you propose?

Delete all plans could be added as another option. But there is no need I can see for adding an airline more than once.

3. should not happen, it should just store the file and open the other one...

What I found was when I got the error it created a file (in my test) named .txt with the info inside it and also a file named TWA.txt, but it was empty.

Jeez, I must have been real tired. Whoever heard of counting 1,2,4,3? :)

Here comes the next version of the executable. The color was an easy one. When chosing the background I just selected the one that looked best like a background, and guess what it just is named system background :lol:. So clear this changes with your background setting, I choose another warm color now. The rest I think I got fixed, there was indeed a problem with reading empty files, I hope I got all instances where this happened checked. One of the problems is that a computer cannot write nothing. So if there is nothing to write, including a couple of null, the new file does not get created at all. So I have to write one blank character minimal...

Network_plan.zip

Background colors are OK for me now.

Delete button for flight plans works OK, however I believe we could use a delete for the airline box (right side box) also.

My reasoning for this is if an airline goes out of business and no longer needed we should be able to delete it.

Maybe add a new menu at the top (with a confirmation?) next to

Clear all and modify buttons work OK.

I'm using TWA for my testing. In the series box it shows multiple series with the same name, eg. I have 3 707's and 3 MD83's listed, and others

yet in the aircraft.cfg I only have two paints in each one.

I assuming that each series represents a repaint, early or late?

If true then the series box needs to be more descriptive for each aircraft.

By listing 707 twice the user has no idea what paint he is going to get.

That needs indeed to be documented. The user cannot decide this at all, because the choice of which actual paint is used is taken on the year entry in MyTraffic. So, when you send the same plan to MyTraffic, and have different simulation years, the result may be different. Whatever B707 you select, the outcome is the same anyway, one could think about another logic to avoid the double displays altogether.

The argument that an airline can go bust falls into the same category. If it is dead, and the simulated year is after the last year of a type, then the flights will not take place because the type no longer exists, but the plan will go into the time machine to reflect a correct setting case you have selected a year in which this airlines still existed.

There may be a technical reason to remove an airline that was created as test only or with a type in the name. For the moment you can do it by deleting the line in the text file easily...

Problem with deleting...

If I delete the airline text for my test TWA in Network_airlines.txt, save it, and delete the TWA.txt file (both are in the Networks subfolder) and also delete

the TWA flight plan in Network_Plan.txt (in the root folder) then try to restart the program it gives an error. I don't know if this will help you.

Here is a screenshot in two parts (couldn't expand the error window to show all the info):

post-14871-12868966915_thumb.jpg

post-14871-128689669156_thumb.jpg

Network_plan.txt is an output file only, it is just putting together all the airline specific files. The rest I will check, did it oftenly with crap created by earlier versions, but not with this last version. You ended the program and started it again when you removed the line?

You ended the program and started it again when you removed the line?

Yes, I tried to.

1. Created airline and flightplan.

2. Exited program.

3. Deleted information I added from within .txt files as listed above.

4. Attempted to restart program (error).

I have reinstalled the Network program from scratch and will wait to see what findings you have.

I did not get a crash when I delete the line, but I get a crash when I empty the line without deletion. If this is what you find too, that should be easy to cover...

I think I know what you mean.

Here is what I found.

Using TWA as example if I delete the TWA.txt file and restart Network.exe no problem, starts OK.

If I delete only the airline info line in Network_airlines.txt I get the error, Network.exe fails to restart.

When I delete my airline info and all the spaces after TAM in Network_airlines.txt, Network.exe starts OK.

I noticed that right after TAM there are over 20 spaces, highlighted in blue in this screenshot.

post-14871-12868966941_thumb.jpg

Yes, yes, deleting a loine and deleting the contents of a line have nothing in common. Nevertheless the user should not bother about it. Here comes a new exec with several changes along your proposals. Finally I found how to change the order of fields if you just tab through them :) Next necessity will be to update the manual.

Network_plan.zip

The new exec looks and works great!

A couple items...

1. In the sample flightplans for Aerolineas Argentinas it lists an A340 which doesn't exist in the ACDATA.csv file.

2. I created a new flightplan using Iberia Air (IBE) with an A346 from KJFK to LEMD.

Saved the plan.

Loaded up the MyTraffic editor, deleted all schedules, and saved it with new name.

From the documentation:

"If we want to debug our network plans alone, just use a database copy without any schedules and call “Schedule -> Network Plan – the plans will be converted to flight plans in a second."

I tried this with a new database saved with no schedules and got this...

post-14871-128689669769_thumb.jpg

This message will not refer to the IBE A346 I assume, but to the TWA you programmed before.

Here comes a new Network exe that makes it clearer what you export and also allows to export the actual airline only, which will make debugging easier, plus a modified editor that does not give this message.

Network_plan.zip

MyTrafficX.zip

Fine, thanks for the feedback. I will update the documentation to fit to this program next. And then I hope for many many airline contributions...

guys i had download network plan but that not working :S i tried all things

( i had download in the latest posts , they have 7.55kb ) but not working

I deleted the spaces in Network_airlines

someone can give me one solution or upload for me old network plan and past of network ( i deleted some notepad thinking that network_plan should work )

thanks and sorry for my english ^^

The final version is in 5.2a. I can pack that together if this helps you. In 5.2a, quite some airlines got modelled with this.