The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
peejayh

FSC 8.4 qualified user with Horrible Frame rate drop

DEar Sirs

I am, despite having had FSC for nearly a year, still fumbling with my FSC 8.4. I acquired it on Order no F-94475. I have a year old machine with Vista 32 bit and using a TripleHead2Go on FSX. The FSC is running on Monitor number 4.

On starting FSX and without FSC I get a wholely acceptable 33FPS.

WIth FSC and with 8.4 running it plummets down to about 4 FPS.

If you have an idea how I could improve on this I would be grateful.

I noticed today that it warns me that it won't operate with FSUIPC but this is required for when I use ITS YOUR PLANE, (another great program.) Is this a real conflict that I will have to accept or is there any other solution?

I'm making some headway at last with my flightsim operations so I would really appreciate getting to run at a reasonable pace.

Hello (name?)

There may be a couple of reasons why your post is yet unanswered. Although I can't help you technically, please permit me to raise a couple of points.

First, the authors have informed us, and rightly so, that posts that don't provide 'minimum' information will not be answered (see the very first post under this section - Topics - Everyone Please Read). Although you provide most of it, a bit more information on your set-up would help anyone trying to help you, for example, are you running FSX in 'windowed' or 'full-screen' mode? is your set-up using only one computer or have you networked two (or more) computers? what version of FSUIPC are you using?

Second, you claim that it (FSC?) warns you that it (FSC?) won't operate with FSUIPC. FSC's web site clearly states that FSC uses FSUIPC in its communication with FS9 and FSX. Here's the statement that appears on FSC's Web Site: For connecting FlightSim Commander with Flight Simulator you need a version of Peter Dowson's FSUIPC.DLL 3.7x (for FS2004) or FSUIPC4.DLL (for FS-X). If you wish to use FlightSim Commander in a network, you also need Peter Dowson's WideFS package.

And lastly, please sign your post. This forum is a friendly place where flightsimmers enjoy helping each other and to promote informal communication, calling themselves by their first names.

I hope my contribution will help you get help.

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Hi Jean-Jacques

Apologies for not reading the MUST READ more carefully.

I'm running on FSX.

I thought I had FSUIPC which I acquired via my purchase for ITS YOUR PLANE a year ago.

Maybe I didnt check the version.

I have the downloaded version of FS COmmander 8.4 and operate on Vista 32 bit.

Its a 2 Duo CPU E6850 3.00 Ghz - 2Gb Ram - Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2

My fourth monitor is linked via the second DVI connector in the main computer so I'm not networked.

I turn on FSC first. Then drag it across to the fourth monitor.

Normally (if not using FSC) I would usually run NOT in Windows but have been told that to enable FSC I need to be window'd. Then I'm confronted with the message that I need the FSUIPC. Not forgetting the little matter of 4 fps after normally having over 30 fps.

Be obliged for any suggestions you can hurl in my direction.

Regards

Peter J Hack

Hi Peter,

As I mentioned in my note, I don't think I can be of much help to you from a technical perspective and hope someone will come forward now that you have amplified on your setup and the technical challenge you're facing. In the meantime and unless you've already done so, you may want to download and install the latest version of FSUIPC (3.90 for FS9 or 4.50 for FSX) from Peter Dowson's web site at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.

It may also be helpful to glance at my input to a recent post on this forum entitled Matrox and FSC in which the use of TripleHead2Go is discussed.

I don't remember reading about an issue such as you describe. My understanding has always been that FSC has very little impact on FS's framerate but I stand to be corrected. I run my version of FSC along with Radar Contact and Active Sky on a second networked computer which is by today's standard very slow and yet FSC doesn't seem to put that much of a strain on both the 'old' computer and FS running on the main computer.

If I think of something else, I'll post it.

Regards, Jean-Jacques

hi Jean-Jacques

Many thanks. I've ordered the FSUIPC so it should either be posted or downloaded eventually. As I'm in one PC the WideFS thingamejig probably is not necessary. Will advise if it makes the difference but the directive had an explanation after it so I'm optimistic!!

Regards

Peter J H

Hi Peter,

Yes, you're right about WideFS. You only need it if you network computers. Regarding FSUIPC, just download the unregistered version and install it by copying the FSUIPC.dll to your Modules folder (at least that's where it belongs for FS9). Its free. If my memory serves me right, the only thing you get after purchase is a key to enable the 'registered' version which provides the user with a host of additional features. The registered version of FSUIPC is a very powerful utility offering much more than a communications port between FS9 or FSX and other programs. For example, it will automatically start programs such as FSC, Active Sky, Radar Contact or any other program when a few lines of coding are added to the FSUIPC configuration file (in the Modules folder). I use it also to enhance FS's sky rendition which truly does a better job than FS9's rendition, etc, etc. Read FSUIPC's User Manual. There are two versions: a short version and a more advanced version.

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Hi Peter,

We are not sure that this will help you, but possibly as some kind of suggestion:

1. you should upgrade your FSUIPC which is currently 3.9

2. although this is somehow pure speculation, we were informed that there is a limit on the display which TripleHead2Go can handle. To the best of our knowledge, it seems to be the case that there is essentially a maximum amount of pixel which the video card can process. Now, suppose that you run FSC on your 4th monitor while at the same time the remaining monitors handle FS to its full extent. Logically, there are two possibilities. Either you would not see anything at all on your fourth monitor, because all the resources are used up on the three monitor system; or you do see something on your 4th monitor, however, at the expense of the other three monitors which then should slow down on performance. We are not sure, if this explains what happens; nevertheless we have no influence from inside the program on any kind of frame rates, and TripHead2Go, though being a wonderful add-on, also has its disadvantages.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

hi,

my understanding is that FSC will only display if FSX is in windowed mode

(unless you runFSC on another pc across a network using FSUIPC and WideFS)

if your stuck on 1 pc have you tried the following.

1. rightclick the vista/xp it taskbar and set to hide . this hides the taskbar untill you put mouse into the taskbar area when i will reappear. this raised my framerate from 3 to 30 fps.

2.as a test, reduce the resolution to the triplehead2go . if framerates rise then your graphics card is struggling.

youll need a better graphic card. OR get a motherbard that supports 2 graphics cards.

the 2nd card can be cheap as FSC doesnt need 3d graphics.

3. shutdown background progs to give maximum RAM to the system. there are free utilities that do this for you.

if you crack the problem please post the solution cos im saving for a triplehead myself

g-bobb