The simFlight Network Forums

Database Manager Error

fbass

My previous version of FS Commander was 8.1. Instructions on the site indicated that 8.5 could not be registered unless you had V8.2 or later. I uninstalled Version 8.1. I downloaded V8.5. I executed the installer. The program installed. I copied the registration.fsc file back into the installed directory. Two icons were created on my desktop.

I ran the database manager twice. The utility stopped at the same place each time. The error indicated that the manager could not find or access the following file: FSCDM_FS*.LOG. In the installed folder there is a file titled: FSCDM_FSX.LOG. I checked this file. It is a list of my scenery.cfg file. The database manager closed and I cannot access FS Commander because the database manager has not gone to completion.

Can you help?

Thanks so much.

Frank

I see you have the following statement in the forums:

"IMPORTANT:

If you own the Aerosoft version (boxed or download), you MUST download the upgrade file from their website ( http://www.aerosoft.com )

As always - though many don't seem to take this serious - we suggest that you carefully read the accompanying readme.txt.

If you don't, you'll be in trouble. WE WILL NO LONGER RESPOND TO MAILS OR POSTS FROM USERS WHO COMPLAIN THAT

THEIR REGISTERED VERSION HAS BECOME UNREGISTERED AFTER THE UPGRADE."

Here's the problem. There is NO update download file on the Simmarket site. I submitted a trouble ticket concerning this issue to them and they just keep bouncing me back and forth between them and FS Commander.

Please help.

Frank

I see I'm also supposed to supply additional data:

Previous Version of FS Commander - V8.1 (now uninstalled)

Current Installed Version - V8.5 (downloaded from your site - there is no download file on the Simmarket site)

FSUIPC V4.40 payware version

Flightsim - FSX + Acceleration

Operating System - Vista 32-bit

fb

I checked this file (FSCDDM_FS*.LOG) that is causing an error in the database manager and found the following:

[General]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Description=FS9 Scenery Data

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

Strange characters before [General} and

===== Error Error Error =====

Source: cmdWorld_Click = 52 = Bad file name or number

=============================

This last entry is at the bottom of this file.

Yes, my Version 8.1 (updated from 8.0) was obtained from Aerosoft. When I tried to get support from Aerosoft, they told me that I had to get my update files from you folks. Here is a record of responses I received from Aerosoft:

Sir,

I ordered and paid for the update to FS Commander (8.5) but there was no download link. My current version of this program is 8.1 and the update cannot be used for this version. So, how do I get the new (updated) version?

NOTE: This program has been updated a number of times but I have never received an update notice even though I signed up the this service.

Thanks

Frank Bass

Hello,

thank you for your order.

Please make sure you read the grey information box on top of each products page, it mostly answers all your questions and should be read BEFORE you spend your money.

This is a freely available file for download (shareware), please see the respective product information page for delivery information and download links.

best regards

I read the information you described. However, you did not read my post. Here is what the Flightsim Commander site says about the 8.5 upgrade:

"Registration: FlightSim Commander v. 8.x is a shareware program which can be registered for € 34.95 at Simmarket.com. You can download an evaluation copy from here. However, you must have v. 8.2 or higher to be able to register. The evaluation copy is fully functional with the restriction that the program will automatically terminate after a period of 35 minutes and that flight plans cannot be saved. You can run as many 35min-sessions as you like. If any problems arise in the process of registration, please contact http://support.simmarket.com.

Please see above where it indicates "you must have v. 8.2 or higher to be able to register" Also, their site says that version 8.5 is a complete package.

I do not have version 8.2 or higher. I have version 8.1. I purchased this software from Simmarket. I was supposed to be notified of updates. I was not.

So, it won't do any good for me to download version 8.5 from the FS Commander site or anywhere else because I wouldn't be able to register the product with Simmarket (per the instructions provided by the publisher)

Frank

Dear Valued Customer,

thank you for your order and we are sorry you are having an issue with any of the items ordered.

However your problem seems to be product related and/or of technical nature, therefore please contact the support addresses listed in the documentation for the respective product.

The support addresses are also listed in the respective product description pages in our shop.

Best regards.

BTW how to upgarde from older versions is also explained on the FSCommander website

Important: You can use the upgrade file below only for updating from v. 8.4 (with or without patches) to v. 8.5. If you have any version earlier than 8.4 installed, you must use the full version download. If, in this case, you are a registered user, make a backup copy of the file register.fsc which is located in the main FlightSim Commander directory. After installation of the full version 8.5 copy the file back to the main FS Commander directory.

I will contact the publisher. However, I don't agree this is a technical problem with the software. Simmarket is mentioned as the mechanism for registration of this product. I can't register the product as long as I can't get a newer version of the program (must be higher than 8.2).

Here is what the publisher says in their forums:

"IMPORTANT:

If you own the Aerosoft version (boxed or download), you MUST download the upgrade file from their website ( http://www.aerosoft.com )

As always - though many don't seem to take this serious - we suggest that you carefully read the accompanying readme.txt. If you don't, you'll be in trouble. WE WILL NO LONGER RESPOND TO MAILS OR POSTS FROM USERS WHO COMPLAIN THAT THEIR REGISTERED VERSION HAS BECOME UNREGISTERED AFTER THE UPGRADE."

Now, there is NO UPGRADE FILE AVAILABLE ON THE SIMMARKET SITE. I'm really tired of all this back-and-forth BS. I have purchased a very large amount of software from you and I would think you would want to help me other than pawning me off back and forth to the publisher.

So, please provide some kind of upgrade package for FS Commander.

Thanks.

Frank

how to upgrade from older versions is explained on the FSCommander website

Important:

You can use the upgrade file below only for updating from v. 8.4 (with or without patches) to v. 8.5. If you have any version earlier than 8.4 installed, you must use the full version download. If, in this case, you are a registered user, make a backup copy of the file register.fsc which is located in the main FlightSim Commander directory. After installation of the full version 8.5 copy the file back to the main FS Commander directory.

best regards

As you can see, the back and forth accomplishes nothing since Aerosoft provides no download for the update and insists that I get my update from FS Commander. Per their instructions, I downloaded Version 8.5 from your site and tried to install it. The installer worked OK but I was left with the errors I documented. Aerosoft has no download files - either for the update or for an original purchase. I'm left with nothing except an install of V8.5 that won't work.

Frank

Hi Frank,

even though you explain in large detail what happened we still don't understand the exact nature of the problem. First of all, we need to separate the two issues, namely update and error in the Database Manager, which have nothing to do with each other.

First, the update issue

In your second post of April 2 you state that "Here's the problem. There is NO update download file on the Simmarket site." Why should there be an update on the SimMarket site?

In your following post of April 2 you state that you downloaded 8.5 from our site. As indicated in virtually all documentations we issue, this assumes that you registered/bought your original version from SimMarket.

In a further post of April 3, however, you state that your original version was from Aerosoft. Now we are totally confused. Why do you download from our site - contrary to repeated instructions - instead of from the Aerosoft site?

To summarize: whenever you buy whatever version from Aerosoft, you need to download any upgrade from their site at www.aerosoft.com Whenever you download any version from our site and register with SimMarket, then any future upgrade will have to downloaded from our site. To put it differently, FS Commander is distributed via two channels: Aerosoft and our website/SimMarket. Once you decide for one or the other, you have to be consistent with upgrades (or else you will have to pay again).

Now to the second problem, namely the error in the Database Manager:

Unfortunately you do not specify whether or not you are running FS Commander in a network. From the excerpt of the log file which you mention in one of your posts of April 3, we assume that you do run the program in a network. In this case it is likely that you have only mounted the Flight Simulator folder instead of the entire drive as explained in the Appendix of our manual/help file. To clarify this, I suggest that you send the FSCDBM_FS09.LOG to Volker whose address you find at the bottom of our web site.

Regards

Sascha & Volker

Because that is site where I purchased the program. The only item I got from SimMarket was a key. If there had been a file to download I would have done so and used the key to register. However, SimMarket provides no download file - only a key. Also, there was no e-mail notification from SimMarket which is the usual method for linking to a download file.

That is correct. I purchased my copy of FS Commander from SimMarket.

My original version was purchased from SimMarket. Since SimMarket only provided a key, I attempted a download from the Aerosoft site without success. There were only three choices for me to use - get the update from Aerosoft or SimMarket, or from your site. I tried all three avenues to gain the update. I did manage to download the update from your site and the program installed correctly. However, the database manager does not complete as described in my previous posts.

I am not trying to run FS Commander from a network. In fact, I cannot even execute the program because the database manager will not go to completion. Since the program will not run until the database process is complete, I cannot even configure the software - network or otherwise.

I'm sorry for the confusion but I've read all the instructions you provided but I still cannot get the program to work properly.

Frank

I just thought of something else. Your instructions indicate that if you have a version of FS Command that is earlier than 8.4, you must use the full install file. The only place where the full install file for Version 8.5 is located is on your site. I cannot obtain any version from Aerosoft since I didn't buy the program from them. On the SimMarket site there is no file - original or update that I can access.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I finally decided to give up on your case. I tried to explain everything in my last post, but apparently you simply refuse to understand.

In your last post: "On the SimMarket site there is no file - original or update that I can access." I explained that in my previous post; why should there be a file available on SimMarket.

IN your last post: "I cannot obtain any version from Aerosoft since I didn't buy the program from them". Why did you even consider the possibility of downloading anything from Aerosoft, if you never bought the program from them. I explained that in my last post.

In your last post but one: "My original version was purchased from SimMarket. Since SimMarket only provided a key, I attempted a download from the Aerosoft site without success." Again, why did you ever go to the Aerosoft site, if you never bought the program from them. Yes, SimMarket only provides a key. That's all they do. Why should they do anything else.

In general, we make all the efforts we can to help our customers. But obviously there are hopeless cases. It appears that you are one of them. Whatever I write, whatever I explain, you simply ignore it. Therefore, I'm very sorry, but I cannot help you, if you simply ignore what you write. I will not further respond to this thread.

Regards

Sascha