The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Jacques

Saving PMDG flight plans (answered)

Hi everyone,

I recently invested in PMDG’s wonderful 737 and as part of a sharp learning curve including investing in FS2Crew as a training aid, now trying to save flight plans for this new aircraft. Hence, my reason for seeking help. Despite having read and re-read that part of FSC’s manual dealing with the subject, I am unable to save flight plans to FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS.

FSC’s ‘Save/Load Flight Plan’ window suggests that a flight plan can be saved in various formats simultaneously, i.e., FS Commander/Flight Simulator, Radar Contact, PMDG B7XXX/MD11 and several others, and understandably, so long as the locations to which the flight plans should be filed are ‘registered’ on the Flight Plan tab of the Options window.

First, the Flight Plan Tab under the Options window does not provide for a PMDG flightplan file location as it does for others such as SquawkBox, Ivao, Radar Contact, etc.

Second, even if I choose to alter the address for the first entry (Folder Flight Simulator 2004 (for add-on aircraft)) to the Z:\ drive (FS9) and replace the address with the path to FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS, the Save/Load Flight Plan window doesn’t permit me to save the plan. The message given is ‘Flight plan cannot be saved because FS Path unknown! Please specify FS Path in Options Window!’ I can understand the logic behind the message: both FS Commander/Flight Simulator and PMDG B7XXX/MD11 are selected and I suspect that if I could unselect (untick) the box for FS Commander/Flight Simulator which FSC will not permit me to do, then probably FSC would allow me to save to the Z drive. When the FS Commander/Flight Simulator option and the Radar Contact option are selected, then FSC saves both plans without a hitch but when the PMDG option is selected as a third option, then the plan can’t be saved because I haven’t told FSC where to file it. How do I do that?

For sure I’m missing something but what? It reminds me of the guy (me) being unable to find the quart of milk in the refrigerator when it’s sitting right on the front shelf! Many thanks in advance to anyone who can ‘wake me up’.

I can already hear some of you saying “. . . how is this guy going to learn to fly a 737 if he can’t even . . .” !!

Regards, Jean-Jacques

1. FS9

2. FSUIPC 3.9 / WideFS 6.7.8 (both registered)

3. FS Commander 8.5 (Build 230309) and Database Manager 8.5

4. Download version (full version rather than update)

5. Main rig: Windows XP Home SP3 running FS9

6. Secondary rig: Windows XP Professional running FSC, Radar Contact, ActiveSky 6.5

Hi Jean-Jacques,

as You know, english is not my mother language and sometimes I have a problem to understand anything very well.

Now I try to do my very best.

Second, even if I choose to alter the address for the first entry (Folder Flight Simulator 2004 (for add-on aircraft)) to the Z:\ drive (FS9) and replace the address with the path to FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS, the Save/Load Flight Plan window doesn’t permit me to save the plan.

Just select ONLY the drive and folder where your Flightsimulator located, in your case Z:\FS9 (for example).

Do NOT select FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS because the FSCommander knows that Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS are Subfolders from FS9.

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker,

Thank you for your quick response and by the way, your English is fine. As suggested, I selected only the mapped drive for FS9, in my case drive Z:, and I now believe everything is working as it should. With 3 options selected on the Save/Load Flight Plan window (FSC/FS, Radar Contact and PMDG), FSC now deposits, if I understand the process correctly, 4 versions and/or copies of the newly saved flight plan in the following folders:

FSC\FSplan,

My Documents\Flight Simulator Files,

FSC\FSplan\RC, and

FS9\Pmdg\FLIGHTPLANS.

I must admit that despite using FSC now for a few years, I had the wrong address assigned to the option entitled 'Folder Flight Simulator 2004 (for add-on aircraft)' on the Flight Plan tab of the Options window. Wstarteithout realizing the real purpose that option served, I had it depositing flight plans in the Flight Simulator Files folder of My Documents when in fact FSC is programmed to do it automatically as long as the proper location is setup as a mapped drive, in this case the Y: drive. I now realise that the address I had given it served no purpose. FSC never 'complained' until I recently started learning to use PMDG's 737 and preparing flight plans for the new aircraft.

One last point. My version of Radar Contact (RC) operates on the same drive as FSC, the Client/Secondary computer, yet RC is configured to get its flight plans from My Documents\Flight Simulator Files (Server/Main computer). Because you have a folder inside FSC for RC flight plans, should I configure RC to obtain flight plans from the FSC\FSplan\RC folder or are both sources acceptable? (are the formats identical or different?)

Best regards,

Jean-Jacques

Oops, don't know what happened but the 1st word of the 2nd sentence, 2nd parag. should read 'Without' rather than 'Wstarteithout'! JJ

I am having a similar problem (see my recent post). It is a Windows7 64-bit system. My FS9 flight plans are saved under C:\my documents\flight simulator files. I saved an FS Commander flight plan there by going to this directory in the Save Options window with the PMDG format checked. It does NOT save in PMDG format, but rather in FS format. The plan can be opened directly from FS9 under Flight Planner but not from the FMC in the PMDG aircraft. The FS Commander manual, page 54, says "Flight Plans in the format of PMDG Boeings are saved in special subdirectories of your Flight Simulator directory in order to be loaded into the FMC of these aircraft." But there are NO special subdirectories under my FS9 directory. The FS Commander file is saved directly to the FS9 directory. Is this a Windows 7 problem?

Hi Jean-Jacques,

as You know, english is not my mother language and sometimes I have a problem to understand anything very well.

Now I try to do my very best.

Second, even if I choose to alter the address for the first entry (Folder Flight Simulator 2004 (for add-on aircraft)) to the Z:\ drive (FS9) and replace the address with the path to FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS, the Save/Load Flight Plan window doesn’t permit me to save the plan.

Just select ONLY the drive and folder where your Flightsimulator located, in your case Z:\FS9 (for example).

Do NOT select FS9/Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS because the FSCommander knows that Pmdg/FLIGHTPLANS are Subfolders from FS9.

Regards,

Volker

Ho Volker,

I am having the same issue as the person above, sadly I can not follow your link as it says it no longer exists.  Can you repost please?

Rob

Hi Rob,

The link was from 2010 and no longer exists.

Publish here a screenshot of the Save / Load Flight Plan / Paths Window.

Volker

Hi Volker

Please find attached they screenshot of my save/lad file paths, these are how they were installed and not modified. I do get the warning that I need to manually set the FSX folder. Nothing seems to alter that warning so given up.

Regards Rob

post-92989-0-00990400-1432630683_thumb.p

Hi Rob,

The quality of the screenshot is very badI can't read the lines.

Please create a screenshot only from the Flight Plan Paths Window.

Regards,

Volker

Hi Bob,

As described in the manual and on our website:

The FSCommander only supports FS2004, FSX and Prepar3D.

FSX SE is not supported.

Regards,

Volker

Sorry for the name typo, your have to love iPhone predictive text!

I guessed that was going to be the answer, shame about it not being FSX-SE compatible. Time to shop about for one that is, any recommendations anyone?

Rob