The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

8.5 logbook and long flights

Hello,

I've noticed for several versions (perhaps back to 7.x versions?) that a flight can be so long that the "Show Track" button runs out of little blue trail dots to leave. I noticed this on an KIAD-RJAA flight today in the PMDG MD-11F. However, what I am writing about is the logbook feature. While I got a red ATA for each waypoint, I did not see one upon landing at RJAA. Could this be why I lost the entire flight in terms of the logbook? Or, is it not possible to keep a log of such a long flight. From reading other posts I see that you write the logbook record from memory to a file on touchdown. While I had a normal touchdown, I did not get any of the flight saved to the log. I saw the entire flight's worth of red ATA times, but no long entry after the flight and after shutting FSC 8.5 down.

Would you consider giving us a manual means for terminating and saving the logbook?

Thank you,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

we are partially aware of the problem, because the same has also happened to us, not very often, but only occasionally.

To explain what happens:

To activate the logbook recording, two conditions need to be met:

1. the aircraft has to be airborne (the value for this is transmitted by fsuipc)

2. AGL has to be >200ft

To close the logbook again (and write the data into the file), also two conditions have to be met:

1. the aircraft has to be on the ground (again transmitted by fsuipc)

2. true airspeed has to be <50knots

According to our past experience two things may go wrong. The first, suprisingly, is that fsuipc does not send the correct value. We have observed this a couple times, but not regularly. Why that happens, we don't know.

The other possibility could that the pilot did not set the altimeter correctly, so that the second condition is not met, even though the aircraft seems to be airborne.

Following your suggestion we are, in fact, considering the possibility of having the user activate and close the logbook manually.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Regards

Sascha

Sascha,

I hope you indend to implement the manual option, this problem persists to the point hat none of my flights register as landing any longer. This is primarily with aircraft such as the PMDG MD-11 and the Coolsky MD-80.

Thank you,

Jeff