The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS6 and WideFS7 access keys

I have been using FSCommander on my laptop and FSX on my desktop for some 6 months using a WideFS7 access key. I have now installed fs9 together with my fs9 version add-ons on the desktop. On reading the documentation it implies that I have to purchase an additional WideFS6 access key to run FSCommander on my laptop to link it with FS9 on the desktop. Is this correct as I was assuming that that one key was all that I needed.

Hi,

That is correct. WideFS6 and FSUIPC3 are for FS04 and require 2 key purchases, though SimMarket may have a bundle deal.

WideFS7 and FSUIPC4 are for FSX and require 1 key purchase.

Because they are for different versions of FS, they require separate licenses and purchases.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. However I did not purchase FSUIP4 to run FSCommander only the network access key for WideFS. I am therefore assumming that I do not need to purchase FSUIP3! Is this correct? Also as I have already purchased a network access key for EUR 28.56 and I do not see why I have to purchase another one. All my add-ons work on both FSX and FS9 without having to purchase them twice!

John

"I am therefore assumming that I do not need to purchase FSUIP3! Is this correct?"

If you want to run any software over a network with FSUIPC3 and FS04, you will need to register FSUIPC 3 and WideFS 6 by purchasing keys.

You need to purchase another key because FSUIPC 3 and FSUIPC 4 are different pieces of software for different versions of FS.

FSUIPC 3 will not work with FSX and FSUIPC4 will not work with FS04.

Jim

I appreciate that you are trying to help me but i must admit I am still confused!

You said "If you want to run any software over a network with FSUIPC3 and FS04, you will need to register FSUIPC 3 and WideFS 6 by purchasing keys." This answer to me seems to say that I have to purchase 2 keys, one for FSUIPC and one for WideFS6. Is this correct as you then go on to say "You need to purchase another key because FSUIPC 3 and FSUIPC 4 are different pieces of software for different versions of FS." Do you mean another key (singular) or 2 keys ?

Hi,

For FS04 you need a a registered version of FSUIPC by purchasing a key and purchasing a key for WideFS.

Now, if you want to count this as one or two purchases , it really doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a key for FSUIPC 3 and a key for Wide FS 6.

For FS04 you need a a registered version of FSUIPC by purchasing a key and purchasing a key for WideFS.

Now, if you want to count this as one or two purchases , it really doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a key for FSUIPC 3 and a key for Wide FS 6.

Actually, thanks for trying to help here, Jim, but if you only want to run applications on a Networked PC, and don't want to use any of the User Facilities in FSUIPC, then you only need a WideFS registration, not an FSUIPC one too.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the clarification. However I must say that I am not very happy about having to pay twice for WideFS keys i.e once to access FSX and a second to access FS9. With all my other software for scenery, aircraft, fscommander, etc I have only paid once and been able to download both the fsx and fs9 versions. In fact if I now buy a WideFS key for FS9 then the total cost for the 2 keys (for FS9 and FSX) will have cost a lot more than than FSCommander itself, surely this is not fair.

John

... surely this is not fair

Really? I don't think you are figuring that out correctly. It is only because i work so hard on maintaining compatibility for such applications between such completely different versions of FS that you can use those without paying again for complete re-writes in any case. Do you think FSUIPC4 and WideFS7 are merely renamed versions of FSUIPC3 and WideFS6? Think again! For every version of FS I have had to work full time for many months to get the interface for applications working, and this has applied from FS2000 through to FSX and ESP. I only started asking for payment for any of it with FS2004 and subsequently, despite all that -- and this is unfair?

If you are unhappy about it don't buy it. See if you can do it some other way.

:-(

Pete