The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

US Airways

shes beautiful baddog! :lol: here is my attempt at the 737-400. i know the tail needs a lot of work and the stripe is off were it connects from the tail to the fusalage. also it seems like its missing something on the fusalage, i just cant put my finger on it. maybe you guys can point it out? :lol: :wink:

B734_us air NC.zip

post-25921-128689676324_thumb.jpg

thanks, here is an updated version. its very weired because i used the same method with the red line and the gray stripe and the red line is perfect but the stripe is off were the tail connects to the fusalage. when i put it down 2 pixels, the stripes were too low, when i put it up 1 pixel they were too high, is there such thing as a half a pixel? :lol:

B734_us air NC.zip

post-25921-128689676346_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean. I had the same issue with the A320 - the stripes matched up on the bitmap, but not on the model.

Anyway, looks good.

-Ben

incase you guys are wondering my method is to load the blank texture in paint.net, make a new page that is 1686 x 1888. then i leterally copy the fusalage and tail and fuse them together and paint them. this way i dont have to worry about any loose pixels or if a line is not straight when is crosses the fusalage and tsil line. (see picture 1 and 2, 2 is what i did for the US air) once i have painted and all looks good i take the tail and overlap the existing tail on the blank texture and do the same for the fusalage (see picture 3) do any of you other painters use this method? and is it a good and effective way? or should i change how i paint to another method?

-thank you

post-25921-128689676354_thumb.jpg

post-25921-128689676366_thumb.jpg

post-25921-12868967662_thumb.jpg

This method is not quite accurate, since there must be a little overlap of the front and back section. The last three pixel of the front are identical to the first three of the back. This is necessary to avoid DXT1 compression artefacts.

Besides that, I use similar "super textures" in cases that are not trivial.

This is the right method, but one additional step is that I have to locate the correct overlap for the halves then I create a full view side. The way to find the overlap is tedious, though, since it involves painting a certain design and then looking at it in FSX to determine how many pixels I need to adjust.

-Ben

post-19978-128689676745_thumb.jpg

The definition is that the two halfs always fit when you align the upper corner of the joints. The lower may be different...

It doesn't matter, they just have to be identical. The final psotion of the actual joint may ecen move a cm or two, to be sure there is no window to be cut, they shift on shortened or streched planes anyways.

thanks, i will give it a try. also i saw on the news that a new United States based airline is letting you book seats for as low as $9 (about 6.50 EUR) how could an airline even make money off of this?

http://www.jetamerica.com/

and they are buying 4 new 737-800's next generation planes, plus the price of gas, plus the amount of people traveling every year going lower and lower. ill give them about a year and a half (like skybus) and i will be surprised if they go past two years. continential controls EWR, northwest/delta controls detroit, northwest/delta controls minneapolis, northwest and united control lansing, allegiant air controls southbend, and im sure we know all about orlando :lol: i guess the only good news is that we have a new paint to paint.

-thank you

Can you imagine an airline to sell a flight from Frankfurt to London for 1€, including taxes, back from Londoin to Frankfurt for 0€ ( + 5€ taxes), plus 10 € online check in fee, plus credit card fee, so for an end price of approx 30€ two flights? Can you imagine this airline to operate 180 brand new B737-800 by now, and looking for 400 more 737/A320 now? Can you imagine this airline to be one of the most profitable airlines of the world, only last quarter was a loss to them? In MyTraffic go to EDFH, and you see how it looks there.

The secret behind this is clever software. Ticket prices are a flexible quantity, only driven by offer and demand. The airline flies let me say 5 times a day the route, one aircraft doing nothing else. Now, by experience you know there are times that will go away for a high price, like friday afternoon or sunday afternnon. Holiday seasons,...

You set the initial ticket price to 100€ for these, and to 0 or 5 or 10 or whatever for the less polular times when you start offering the bookings three months ahead. Now the software monitors booking, and whatches what happens. You have a mathematical modell of how bookings normally flow in. If for a specific flight bookings come more frequently, immediatly you add 20€ to the price. Maybe a football game attracting many passengers, a concert in London? If you are below the ideal booking line by a margin, you lower the price.

Thus, at the end your plane is full. Load factors of 95% without a single over booking. You can sell a lot of stuff to the passengers that brings you income. Tickets for Stansted Express into London City? A small champaign for 12€? A tasty fresh crosissant for 2€, a soft drink for 2€? A lottery that gives away free flights ( as long as they are cheap ) and even contributes to a charity. Be creative - people aboard a no cost flight are willing to spend money! All this makes money.

And most of the time the last days the plane is amost full, so you can sell tickets for 80 or 120 € for people who need a flight on short notice.

This concept works perfect. It has created a completely new market, people who never would have flown with a legacy carrier fill your planes, a nice watch when between 6:20 and 7:00 in the morning 13 B737-800 depart, and all arrive back between 21:50 and 22:30, from a rural air strip that was an airbase in the cold war. Yes, and since you are the only employer in that region, labour cost isn't too high, and the airport operator does everything for an airline that makes 95% of its passengers...

The question of jetamerica is

a) Do they have a good, visionary management?

b) Can such a revolutionary concept be realized in the US?

I wish them luck... but share the doubts.

three airlines fly into Hahn, iceland express, ryanair, and wizz air. im sure you are talking about ryanair though. but ryanair is soo big that at any point in time (except at night) even as we speak there are at least 50 ryanairs int he air flying to a destination. they also have 35 hubs but what i found is that almost each hub is near a big city. for example Birmingham (London) Hahn (Frankfurt) Dublin (Dublin) milan-bergamo (milan) london stansted, luton, and liverpool (London and Manchester) Shanon (of course Shanon) and the list goes on and on. each of these (except two) are near big cities but the airports aernt as big maybe because they dont have to wait for other planes to take off or more space for them. it also had two accidents with no life loss in all of there years of flying. people are going to see that and note it and with the good fares it is an easy hit. if Jet America had 32 hubs and a lot of other destenations then i wouldnt be so doubtful but they dont have that.

-thank you

The first time I heared of them ( actually saw a plane ) they operated 3 BAC1-11 between Dublin and Prestwick resp Stansted. They grew with their concept, not with foreign money. I just want to illustrate that a new startup with low fares CAN succeed - and know that most of them fail due to flaws in the buisiness plan or bad execution of the plans.

The 9 $ are for the first 9 tickets sold only I read, if they sell the remaining 167 places for a good price 9$ per seat is far more than an empty seat....

i guess im soo used failiures in CAN. im guessing they wait until the last minute to put the fares at $9 to fill up the seats and make a little more money. i guess time can only tell us. :wink:

Selling a seat last minute for 9$ is good buisiness anyway, but nothing to advertise. The also sell the first 9 seat for 9$, can make advertisements for these, and they are booled for months already. Looks like their software isn't as smart as Ryanairs yet.

It took Ryanair 15 years. Any economical planning for less than decade has failed. Everybody who looked for fast profit is bankrupt, and that is good.