The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Welcome to Ultimate Traffic 2

After a long time, finally a second good AI traffic package for FSX has hit the market today. Flight 1 has published its long awaited Ultimate Traffic 2.

Welcome!

Quite a while ago, Tom Main and I agreed to cooperate for the benefit of our common costumors. One of the outcomes is the fact that UT2 contains some models you know already from MyTraffic, with a small subset of the paints. UT2 understands its mission to be around the schedules they have, so it only contains those airlines that they got hands on the schedules. MyTraffic X understands its mission around a general traffic concept with the aircraft types in the center, and therefore moves around many airlines that exist out there in real world near to their home, but gives less importance to their schedules.

A simple but charming idea is that users of both packages want to profit from both of them. I found a simple way to implement this by making a little change to the MyTraffic editor and use one of the last spare bytes unused since years. With the new editor that you find in the Patch52a uploaded today, you can set for each airline if it is contained in UT2. I did so in the attached data base using a preliminary list published a few days ago, so there may be a handful more to check.

The Create - commands in the editor contain a new check box to write out schedules for airlines only that don't have this box checked - and thats it, you can easily create a set of schedules for those airlines that aren't part of UT2.

These are many, UT2 comes with 947 airlines, MyTraffic has 1925 ( including around 300 military units ). When I do not count those airlines that have one model only in UT2, but three or more in MTX, the overlap between the two products is between 300 and 400 airlines, including all the majors of course - leaving 1200 airlines exclusive to MyTraffic. These are Charter, Cargo, Small, Exotic, Govermental, Corporate, Survey,airlines around the world.

So, if you want to use both products, today's offer to you is the following:

( You have Trafficdatabasebuilder.exe from FSX SDK SP1 or later copied to the MyTraffic folder, and the new Patches52a installed )

- Start MyTrafficX.exe with a double click

- Open the database MTXV52a.myt from the menu File - open

- Select "Create - Create all files and traffic"

- Check the box "No UT2 airlines", and press OK. After a minute or two all the majors will be gone from MyTraffic, and all the minors be kept.

Common usage of the two product is eased by the fact that MyTraffic uses the technique to load schedules as bgl file, while UT2 uses an own tool for this. As a consequence, you can steer the traffic density for MyTraffic using the usual sliders in FSX . and for UT2 using the slider in their management tool. Must say never saw such a lucky coincidence.

Hope, you are happy with this service. Once we have clarified a few more cases where the airline has a different name in both packages, but is the same, etc, I can also create a set of precompiled schedules if there is a request for this.

Due to the new scheduling engine technology, MyTrafficBoard will not work at all well with UT2 flights. Problems include:

- Flights on the ground do not show any scheduling information (airports, times, flight number etc)

- The information may still not be available when the flight wakes up

- Exceptions may occur when an arrival flight turns to baggage claim

MTB is a frozen product, so there will be no opportunity to look at these problems let alone fix them.

On the other hand, there may be something we can do with SuperTraffcBoard which is similarly affected. I'm looking at options, and if anything is possible it will take a while.

Regards

Simon

Yes, I made all this the night before yesterday. You know, good old Fortran spaghetti code, no object orientation, so nothing reusable, no change possible anywhere, or any new feature takes ages as all those C++ and Java junkies keep telling me and need a year...

Thanks Simon. Yes, obviously MyTrafficboard will not show any schedules that are not created in FSX as descibed in the FSX SDK. I wish you good luck, maybe you have to convince Tom Main to give such information to FSX that he does not assume to be needed.

Edit: You also convinced me to do some things I did not assume to be needed, so you know how this works :lol:

Even Traffic Toolbox explorer cannot show the schedule for sleeping aircraft (which is most of them when you visit an airport) as the UT2 engine only pumps it in when it's time to depart. I guess I just found my Summer project!

You don't have better things to do than to display not existing information in summer? If it were winter :lol:

I did so in the attached data base using a preliminary list published a few days ago, so there may be a handful more to check.

Hi Burkhard,

Is this preliminary list the final list now with the latest patch? Or are there still more companies to check?

According to Tom Main, that list was the final. It is in the UT2 forum for public. So if you see doubles, this might be that the airlines use very different names un UT2 and MTX. This might be in a case of a merger, where the NW\DL and AW\US mergers are covered properly, so I assume this to be a handful of small cases only, just report them here.

There are some airlines in Rusia mainly, that have 6 or more series in MTX and only one in UT. I didn't check these, since this might mean one Tu154 too much somewhere in Siberia, otherwise it would mean missing Il76, An124 etc...

A patch for SuperTrafficBoard to address some of the issues raised by the UT2 scheduling engine is already in progress. It won't fix everything, as there's only so much I can do from my side. But I do have a dialog open with Tom so we'll see what can be done with the others in future patches/release.

Once the patch is ready, I'll post details here.

Regards

Simon

Hi,

I try to use UT2 and My Traffic X as explained above.

Sadly, it doesn't work for me. I installed the latest patch for version 5.2a. The tick box "No UT2 airlines" within the My Traffic Editor is available. As soon as I "Go on" it seems like any important file for the batch process is missing.

I see the message within the batch file that the "Traffic Database Builder" must be missing or doesn't work. After the process the editor informs that the traffic scenery was build anyway.

In the sim nothing changed. I see the same traffic like before. Seems like "No UT2 airlines" changed nothing.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Philipp

Maybe you overlooked the small instruction that you have to copy TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe from your SDK folder first?

In the UT2 management tool, I didn't find a way yet to change the aircraft UT2 uses for its flight plans. By editing some aircraft.cfg I could convince me that you can easily win many frames by switching from their converted FS8 planes to the corresponding MTX planes, but there must be a better way... Anybody found that?

Maybe you overlooked the small instruction that you have to copy TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe from your SDK folder first?

Hi Burkhard,

thanks for the hint! That helped and everything works as it should now.

UT2 and My Traffic X is a wonderful combination. Thanks for making it compatible. Great work!

Best regards.

Philipp

In the UT2 management tool, I didn't find a way yet to change the aircraft UT2 uses for its flight plans. By editing some aircraft.cfg I could convince me that you can easily win many frames by switching from their converted FS8 planes to the corresponding MTX planes, but there must be a better way... Anybody found that?

I searched for this option but did not find it, perhaps the paint can only be assigned to add-on schedules?

An idea is:

1) Create a "database" that maps the UT2 paint to the equivalent MTX paint

2) Duplicate the entire UT2 aircraft directory

3) Work through each aircraft.cfg in the, and replace the UT2 textures and model with those from MTX. The paint titles do not change as that is embodied in the schedule engine database, we just redirect them to the MTX equivalents.

4) Point fsx.cfg to the merged aircraft folder instead of the UT2.

The "programming" to do this is not difficult, but making the database would take a little time. Any volunteers for this project, sign up here!

Regards

Simon

That sounds hardly compatible to any imaginable update strategy... I assume their software will evolve.

Could STB change the title= entry, once it meets a "F1UT2_319.IB.IB" it just exchanges by "A319 MyPaint12" . In FSX, frame rates are a problem on the huge airports only, and there the huge fleets dominate them, no reason to exchange small fleets.

A patch for SuperTrafficBoard to address some of the issues raised by the UT2 scheduling engine is already in progress. It won't fix everything, as there's only so much I can do from my side. But I do have a dialog open with Tom so we'll see what can be done with the others in future patches/release.

Once the patch is ready, I'll post details here.

Regards

Simon

I forgot to include here....

A patch to improve the support between SuperTrafficBoard and UT2 is now available here:

http://www.supertrafficboard.com/downlopatch2.zip

The updater should handle any previous version of STB and update it to the latest level (except for beta test versions!).

There are still a few limitations that I hope to resolve in the future:

* Scheduled arrival and departure times are not available except for flights that STB has recovered and rescheduled (final approach conflicts and taxiway timeouts)

* The flight number and destination for parked aircraft is not available until the aircraft beings its departure cycle.

* The "Depart Now" command does not function correctly.

* The "View Flight Data" command that lists additional schedule information does not function correctly.

All of the above is dependent on scheduling information known only to UT2 at this time, however we have a line open to Flight 1 to see what can be done.

Too late by then, the choice is private between UT2 and FSX

Sorry, I overlooked this. So we have to find another solution.

One way is to convince the UT2 load mechanism to load MTX planes instead of UT2 planes. The other would be to add a section of fltsim.xxx chapters to the MTX planes, and let the user completely delete the UT2 plane folder. This requires all paints in UT2 for that aircraft to have an equivalent in MTX, which might mean a few hundred paints to be done? No holiday this year for the paint shop crew? Also no good idea. Do need a good glass of wine or seven...