The simFlight Network Forums

My Traffic for FS9

jfri

I'm curious about My Traffic X. I have seen a lot information about it and that's about MTX for FSX. For the boxed version is stated that

MT for FS9 is bundled with it. First I would like to know if that also apply for the download version?

Then I would like to know more about the FS9 version since I use FS9 also. How does it compare to PAI that I have tried before?

What are the differences betweeb the FS9 and FSX version? Does it have all features that are in the FSX version?

The last version of MyTraffic for FS9 was MyTraffic 2006 Version 4.1. It was released the day FS9 became historical software and FSX the actual Flight Simulator. All work since then has been made for the actual flightsim, exploiting all the possibilities FSX offeres for AI traffic. None of these is possible with the poor grafics, primitive logics and missing hardware support of FS9 for any modern grafics hardware, multi core CPU, large memory, etc, that is why I consider FS9 to be completely obsolete for AI traffic applications since almost 3 years now.

I understand that users who love addons to FS9 that are not yet remade from scratch for FSX use both simulators, so I provide the frozen MT2006V41 for those users on request. But none of the progress made since version 5.0, in 7 large updates now, is even remotely possible within the limitations of FS9, which basically is a little update to FS2002, so software technology that is 9 to 10 years old by now.

PAI was the producer of the first generation of AI planes. I licensed those for MyTraffic versions 1.0 to 2.2, indeed I paid around 10 000$ for the development of these planes. For high density realistic AI traffic as we speak about since FS2004 times, these models were way to slow. So I developped new models, based on the same textures I had painted for the first generation, but up to 30 times! less CPU hungry than the PAI models, and 3 to 7 times faster than the AI Aardvark models. Given the limitations given by the first texture generation and the performance requirements in the inefficient slow grafics machine FS9 offeres required some compromises, that is why MyTraffic for FS9 is by many orders of magnitude inferior on optics to where we are today in FSX, and more comparable to those other early software packages.

If you are using FS9 only, and don't have framerate problems, my honest advice would be to stick to what you have and put your money aside for investment into the future of flight sim, which is FSX. If you use both simulators, MyTraffic X is what you need, and just drop me a PM and I will give you the download for the frozen FS9 version - but if you have seen FSX AI traffic once you will never consider to start up FS9 for it I'm sure.

Hope this helps.

I'm using both simulators but Fs9 has been my primary simulator. The reason for this is like for many other performence. Since I just

built a new system consisting of

AMD X2 6000 , 4 Gb PC6400 RAM , 8800GT 512M DDR3 , Win 7 RC

I hope being able to use traffic in FSX which wasn't possible in my old system therefore I'm considering buying MTX (or UT II)

(old system was AMD 64 4000+ , 2 Gb PC3200 RAM , 7950GT 512M DDR3 , Win XP Home)

Still on my new system turning on (default) traffic to 100% or 50% kills performence in FSX. So I hope for better performence with a traffic addon. Another thing making me interested in a traffic addon is that in both Fs9 and FsX my impression is that even at 100% there are to few planes at the airports and screenshots foe MTX suggests this is rectified. Another reason is to get better user interface and config options compared to default or PAI. I might point out that for the moment I'm trying to choose between MTX and Ultimate Traffic II. One thing speaking for MTX is that I also get a traffic addon for FS9.

It is a common misbelieve that FSX is slower . This is just not true - if you display the same FSX is 2-3 times faster than FS9. Unfortunately, often with the same slider setting FSX displays 20 times what FS9 displays, so it is slower with same settings. As example in FSX autogen with setting at sparse displays already more details than in FS9 with very dense.

Your new system is slightly faster than mine and should do OK de facto everywhere. In O'Hore, New York and London you will have to put the scenery density sliders to "dense" to avoid too much CPU going into the moving jetways, which can be killers.

MyTraffic X offers several options to adjust to your hardware possibilities. The impact it has on frames is far smaller than the one by UT2, in average 2 UT2 planes take as many CPU ticks as 5-6 MyTraffic planes. MyTraffic offers about 33% more airliner AI traffic then UT with same settings, twice the GA traffic and has a lot of military AI in addition. I'm sure it is the better choice especially with not ultra high hardware. Yes, and in addition you will get the FS9 version for free, but that is the smallest advantage I see.

The advantage UT2 has is that the airlines schedules are based on a compilation of published flight schedules, while MyTraffic is using a micxture of several sources. This is of course a major advantage for MyTraffic with its additional 1200 smaller charter etc airlines, while the top 50 airlines might be the strength of UT2.

Can I have the airports filled with planes like in the screenshots with my system? What slider settings do I need for that? When it comes to performence it's not fps that is the problem in FSX but stutters. I setup FSX to get about the same fps as maxed out FS9 and still FS9 was smoother. BTW what FSX slider setting do you think would correspond to 100% traffic in FS9? I hope MTX significantly improves performence over the default since that really hits my performence.

Is MT 4.1 for FS9 bundled in the downloaded MTX file? Or should it be downloaded separately and if so where how?

There should be no stuttering with FSX and MyTraffic X 5.2 with DX10 schedules, 100% AI airliners traffic, 50% GA Traffic, scenery and autogen at dense at your hardware. If they remain, check if they go when you disable the advanced animations. If not, there must be reason, from non optimal grafics drivers to FS9 addons.

Yes, the airports are filled to their limits with the above settings. If you want, MyTraffic offers the option to make even more, but to my experience them the airports break down, since they cannot handle so many aircraft, long queues blocking each others appera then. It is frequent in MyTraffic that in the densest areas you have more than 1000 aircraft in the reality bubble.

The FS9 download is a seperate one, just PM me once you have the FSX one and I will give you that download link.

My intention would be to run MT under Win 7 64 bit. So I ask if both the FSX and FS9 versions work flawless under Win 7 64 bit and if there are some steps I should take when installing? I ask since a lot of FS addons and other games gives me problem in Win 7 RC 64 bit.

There should be no stuttering with FSX and MyTraffic X 5.2 with DX10 schedules, 100% AI airliners traffic, 50% GA Traffic, scenery and autogen at dense at your hardware. If they remain, check if they go when you disable the advanced animations. If not, there must be reason, from non optimal grafics drivers to FS9 addons.

Yes, the airports are filled to their limits with the above settings. If you want, MyTraffic offers the option to make even more, but to my experience them the airports break down, since they cannot handle so many aircraft, long queues blocking each others appera then. It is frequent in MyTraffic that in the densest areas you have more than 1000 aircraft in the reality bubble.

The FS9 download is a seperate one, just PM me once you have the FSX one and I will give you that download link.

I have scenery at very dense and autogen completely off. I also got UTX and GEX and FSgenesis mesh. Therefore mesh resolution is at 10 m and texture resolution at 60 cm. Shadows disabled. Advanced animations seems to have very low impact on performence. The same seems true for changing a slider just one step. I do see some stutters with current default traffic airliner 40% and GA 50% (but I see very few planes). All this for my test with F1 C172 at KEWR.

MTX5.2a works well under W7, with the only little difficulty to add a scenery folder, described how to do in another topic here.

Since Microsoft never supported FS9 under Vista, I doubt they support it under W7. So you are on your own there, but with user access control off and full user control over the FS9 folder it might work.

It is a common misbelieve that FSX is slower . This is just not true - if you display the same FSX is 2-3 times faster than FS9. Unfortunately, often with the same slider setting FSX displays 20 times what FS9 displays, so it is slower with same settings. As example in FSX autogen with setting at sparse displays already more details than in FS9 with very dense.

In theory it seems that this would be the case. But when testing the claim I reach anoyher conclusion. In FS9 I have everything maxed and if I try to set the corresponding detail level in FSX I run into stutters and single digits fps. Of course it can be discussed what FSX slider settings would mean the same detail level as FS9 maxed settings. I set Airliner traffic to 75% and GA traffic to 50% in FSX. With PAI I would see more planes than FSX. Shadows really gives me problem in FSX. I might add that I use Ultimate Terrian for both FS9 and FSX and GeProII and GEX.

To compare apples with apples, autogen and scenery density at normal in FSX display already far more details than FS9 at extremely dense. Comparing the AI traffic, stock FSX has about 4 times the number of planes around you at the same settings, since it uses much more airports and these have way more parkings, so install an FS9, set AI traffic to 100, scenery and autogen to very dense, and an FSX with Ai traffic at 25% and scenery and autogen at sparse or normal, and you see the real technology behind it.

About the shadows, do you refer to shadows of FSX objects, or do you use FSX to emulate FS8. Of course users who fill their FSX with FS8 content like PAI will neither see the huge visual advantages of modern grafics nor see its speedup, the result can only be the pseudo-3d surfaces of FS8/FS9 as slow as an emulator will always be.

To compare apples with apples, autogen and scenery density at normal in FSX display already far more details than FS9 at extremely dense. Comparing the AI traffic, stock FSX has about 4 times the number of planes around you at the same settings, since it uses much more airports and these have way more parkings, so install an FS9, set AI traffic to 100, scenery and autogen to very dense, and an FSX with Ai traffic at 25% and scenery and autogen at sparse or normal, and you see the real technology behind it.

About the shadows, do you refer to shadows of FSX objects, or do you use FSX to emulate FS8. Of course users who fill their FSX with FS8 content like PAI will neither see the huge visual advantages of modern grafics nor see its speedup, the result can only be the pseudo-3d surfaces of FS8/FS9 as slow as an emulator will always be.

After trying this I would say you suggested right with sparse autogen but I think normal scenery to be about FS9 detail level. Although whith traffic sliders I need them to be at least 50% to get the same amount of planes visible as with 100% FS9 traffic. I used the Flight 1 C 172 at KSEA Seattle for the test flyimg. The FS9 C172 had Reality XP gauges unlike the FSX plane.

Regarding shadows I refer to FSX default 3D objects. Apart from having a noticable impact on performence I also experience graphical glitches like flickering black surfaces on buildings. That kicked in as soon as I raised Scenery from sparse to normal

I had this a while ago under Vista DX10, this went away after a driver update.

Of course even appples and apples are difficult to compare. Let us look at the simple autogen. FS9 has up to 300 trees per tile ( about one square km ). FSX has up to 4500. FS9 trees has 8 triangles each, FSX trees have much more volume due to horizontal layers and 16 triangles each. FS9 trees use 256x256 pixel bitmaps, FSX trees 1024*1024 leeading to much more realistic leave effects. So just this most simple example, you can argue that FSX displays 15 times the number of trees, 30 times the number of triangles, 480 times the details of FS9 with same settings - so very arbitrary. My point is that comparing FSX at all right with FS9 at all right makes no sense. And while the step from FS8 to FS9 was just one slider step, FS8 very dense is FS9 dense, this time it was three or more steps.

FSX contains some elements that eat too much performance, the animated jetways the most important of these We may not forget that when FSX was defined in about 2004, Intel predicted that we all would sit in front of 10 GHz computers by now. It was later that they decided to give billions to their share holders instead of investing in X-ray lithography.

• 2 weeks later...

I have by now purchased and installed My Traffic X in both FSX and FS9 (got the boxed version). And my first results is that My Traffic has a huge impact on performence in both FS9 and FSX. I don't find any way to configure My Traffic for best performence. In FSX I don't see any Extra menue item as described in the manual. I suppose the first thing I would need to do is to disable the animated jetways. How? In FS9 I have a in game menue item but I don't see any performence related settings. And performence tweaking is needed in both FSX and FS9. Fps has dropped more than 50% and in FSX bad stuttering also.

Judging from what you wrote above this is than expected even though the airport tested is at New York and is indeed filled with planes.

The extra/tools menu for FSX is not a part of MyTraffic, but of FSX itself, check for the SDK manual how to activate this case the extra description in the MyTraffic manual is not helpful enough.

Most likely indeed the animated jetways are the souce of your problem. You can easily check this by either switching off the advanced animations in FSX or setting scenery density to normal. ( wich is still more detailed than FS9 with very dense ). If this helps, you have a multitude of options, as example you can select to use the models with reduced ground animations from MyTraffic communicator. If not, there may be other sliders to be moved, if your hardware can run FSX default AI traffic at 100% you should be able to use MyTraffic X at 50% too, which brings 3 times the number of planes around you already.

The extra/tools menu for FSX is not a part of MyTraffic, but of FSX itself, check for the SDK manual how to activate this case the extra description in the MyTraffic manual is not helpful enough.

Most likely indeed the animated jetways are the souce of your problem. You can easily check this by either switching off the advanced animations in FSX or setting scenery density to normal. ( wich is still more detailed than FS9 with very dense ). If this helps, you have a multitude of options, as example you can select to use the models with reduced ground animations from MyTraffic communicator. If not, there may be other sliders to be moved, if your hardware can run FSX default AI traffic at 100% you should be able to use MyTraffic X at 50% too, which brings 3 times the number of planes around you already.

I need further help

I have installed the FSX SDK kit and checked the documentation for how to add the extra menue. It seems the SDK installation made the necessary changes to dll.xml. Still have no extra menue and manually adding the suggested entry didn't help. But even if I get this extra menue items working I don't see any performence related items in this menue.

Disabling advanced animations and in addition to that lowering scenery density to normal didn't affect the fps. Should that have disabled the animated jetways?

At any rate FS9 don't have animated jetways and I also have a big hit on fps there. Lowering My Traffic from 100% to 50% improved fps a little bit.

What and where is this My Traffic communicator?

If reducing the traffic density from 100% to 50% doesn't increase your frame rate by at least 75%, than MyTraffic isn't the biggest frame killer you have. In order to judge this, we might need to learn what hardware and OS you use, and what other addon you are using ín the area you find not performing.

MyTraffic Communicator is a tool you find in your start menu to control MyTraffic X. If you don't find it, please check carefully what software you have installed. If for instance you installed the Aerosoft package, you get support by their site, and the name of the tool is MyTraffic Manager.

If reducing the traffic density from 100% to 50% doesn't increase your frame rate by at least 75%, than MyTraffic isn't the biggest frame killer you have. In order to judge this, we might need to learn what hardware and OS you use, and what other addon you are using ín the area you find not performing.

MyTraffic Communicator is a tool you find in your start menu to control MyTraffic X. If you don't find it, please check carefully what software you have installed. If for instance you installed the Aerosoft package, you get support by their site, and the name of the tool is MyTraffic Manager.

I use FSX+Accelerationpack under Win 7 RC. Other FSX addons I use is Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X and FSGenesis mesh. Also for this test I used the Flight 1 Cessna 172.

My hardware AMD 6000 X2, 4 Gb PC6400 RAM, 8800GT 512M DDR3.

On my MTX box I see that I have version 5.1a. It says aerosoft on the cover. Over at aerosoft I found patches for 5.1b and 5.2a. The first of these installed but the second complained that patch 5.2 must first be installed. But there were no 5.2 at aerosoft. I do have MTX entries in my START menu but no Communicator or Manager.

The boxed version by Aerosoft will contain a manual that tells you that support is by Aerosoft on their forums. It is a rather different product than MyTraffic Simmarket edition that is supported here, since download and boxed markets require and allow different products as well as Aerosoft has other installers than we use here. So about any installation questions we cannot help, I even don't have any of their DVD products.

Version 5.1a is a rather old version. The first version to support Acceleration back end of 2007 was 5.1b, that was available as free update from Aerosoft too. For 5.1b, not only many aircraft were designed new from the scratch, but also others had to be modified to be SP2/Acceleration compliant. 5.2 than brought another 30 or more all new aircraft models to get all Western airliners to FSX format, and 5.2a another 16 all new models of the Eastern airliners. So I would esimate that in 5.2a about 75% of all included code is new, and 25% was already in 5.1a. ( I didn't work approx 7000 hours since 5.1a release just for changing textures of a few planes :evil:, nor can I give that away for less than a beer for me )

I'm not surprised that you have performance problems under Acceleration/SP2 with code that was published half a year earlier and therefore cannot contain any of its optimizations. Your hardware is similar to mine, so you should have acceptable results.

The boxed version by Aerosoft will contain a manual that tells you that support is by Aerosoft on their forums. It is a rather different product than MyTraffic Simmarket edition that is supported here, since download and boxed markets require and allow different products as well as Aerosoft has other installers than we use here. So about any installation questions we cannot help, I even don't have any of their DVD products.

Version 5.1a is a rather old version. The first version to support Acceleration back end of 2007 was 5.1b, that was available as free update from Aerosoft too. For 5.1b, not only many aircraft were designed new from the scratch, but also others had to be modified to be SP2/Acceleration compliant. 5.2 than brought another 30 or more all new aircraft models to get all Western airliners to FSX format, and 5.2a another 16 all new models of the Eastern airliners. So I would esimate that in 5.2a about 75% of all included code is new, and 25% was already in 5.1a. ( I didn't work approx 7000 hours since 5.1a release just for changing textures of a few planes :evil:, nor can I give that away for less than a beer for me )

I'm not surprised that you have performance problems under Acceleration/SP2 with code that was published half a year earlier and therefore cannot contain any of its optimizations. Your hardware is similar to mine, so you should have acceptable results.

I have edited my post that you replied to here before I updated it. I didn't know how big and how much work was involved at the patch steps. Other products I have similar first decimal upgrades has been free. It's a surprise to me that the boxed version of My Traffic should be different from the download version and not the latest major version. And I was confused by all patches and different ones for the boxed and download version. Nothing evil meant. My product has now been upgraded to 5.1b. If I understand you correctly this should be enough to correct the performernce issue and going from 5.1b to 5.2a would only add more models.

I still see no Communicator or Manager option under Aerosoft/MyTrafficX menu. The Communicator is described in the description of My traffix X at simshack.net were I bought it. But I have finally been able to bring up the extra menu inside FSX.

MyTraffic 4 was the generation for FS9. MyTraffic 5 is the generation for FSX...

Aerosoft and Simmarket are too different companies and have nothing to do with each other. I'm producing the content for them ( and other packages ). Its like you buy a Nissan or a BMW - they may be made of the same steal and tires and In addition, I make the service for Simmarket.

When you bought from simshack.net ( never saw them on the list of deliveries, so they must get it from somebody else ), they are responsible for your support - that is why they keep most of your money. They describe a version that is 3 years old approx on their side - but the communicator never was part of the Aerosoft product :roll: .

The manager should be an executable under \MyTraffic\MyTraffic_manager.exe to my understanding - but I'm maintaining the BMW, not the Nissan :) . You can also just use the command procedures as described in the manual MyTraffic\manuals\index_X.htm to make the performance settings.

5.1b will give you a good performance boost. At least when switching to the DC10 schedules ( traffic2008_DX10.bat ) your hardware should be able to scope with about 80% traffic density even with other addons installed.

Found the traffic manger executable and selected to install lower resolution without animation models. Now I got in FSX fps around 10-20 and stuttering. Airline traffic 90% GA 50% scenery dense. BTW why suggested you earlir to try 100% for airliners and 50% for GA? Why not have both equal?

In FS9 I have no stutter and around 20-30 fps. So it seems to me that MT performs best in FS9. Lowering the FSX settings somewhat improves fps a little bit there still remains some stuttering.

If you look at the traffic toolbox counters, you will see that MTX has often twice or more the number of AI aircraft in your vincity than MT9. The reason for this is that in FSX there are far more airports active, and all the extras are GA airports. People with main interest in larger planes therefore can benefit from reducing GA AI more than the airlines, and this more in FSX than in FS9. People with main interst in GA airports must be very unlicky to operate from any that hasn't stable 23 fps limited at all time...

The best way to remove stuttering in FSX, with my experience, is to limit the frame rate to something the hardware can achieve. So make your settings on all densities so that you get stable 25 fps, and then limit to 22, and you should be free of stutterings, at least I am...

My result so far is that I think I need to set FSX to 80% airliners and GA to 40% to see about the same number of planes at the airports (KEWR KSEA KBFI).

At this setting it's very difficult to have smooth performence in FSX without turning down sliders to a degree where it's not better than FS9. Limiting fps didn't help against stutters. I completely disable autogen since I find it unreal. Also turn off building shadows since it gives me more problems apart from performence.

Water at low 2.x. It can be mentioned that it seems that New York puts both FSX and FS9 under extreme load. At KSEA things were significantly improved