The simFlight Network Forums

Quantity of aircraft

JohnY

I have just downloaded My Traffic X5.2a on to my F disc which carries my FSX installation. I have Vista 64x and have also downloaded the patches.

With all my sliders in FSX settings maxed I must confess to being somewhat disappointed that there were not more aircraft around the airports I have quickly visited; Southampton (1), Liverpool (1), Bristol (1) all parked and static. Now these are busy airports and with the time set at mid-day I would have thought they would be buzzing.

I've had a look at the number downloaded as per your installation help and they seem to be all there.

The amount of ground traffic both static and moving was quite acceptable.

Am I missing something or is this all I might expect? I should say I've checked but can't find anything in your help page to cover this.

If you can advise how I might get more aircraft in view I will be grateful.

John

The biggest problem is what is buy in real life is boring in front a computer. We can check individual airports, but out there 5 departures per hour are busy, in front of the screen 3 minutes without a departure dead... The only airport I'm aware of that has less traffic in MTX than inreal life is Heathrow, FSX cannot handle more than 800 departures and landings a day on two runways.

John if you think MTX doesn't have much traffic then you will be very glad you didn't buy Ultimate Traffic 2, that has far less traffic at airports than MTX. Take EGCC as an example, the other day at peak time in the morning UT2 only had about 20 planes on the ground, MTX practically filled every single stand.

You can boost the number of AI slightly by using the MTX editor but its not a trivial task John and it involves installing the MSFS SDK, Traffic toolbox, then you would need to rebuild the schedules etc. If you want to give it a try then have a read of the MTX editor manual to get an idea of what is involved. To be honest though I don't bother building my own scheds anymore as I'm happy with the one's Burkhard supplies now. Also many packages like Scotflight which I know you have John include AI flights with the packages which are fully FSX compatible so there is no need to build scheds for those now either.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'd be able to cope with the MTX Editor business Andy as you quite rightly imply.

The problem is the number of parked aircraft is so minimal ie one at each of the airports I mentioned. You are complaining about twenty at Cardiff, I wouldn't mind half a dozen, anywhere, but especially Bristol which is busier than Cardiff! :lol: I didn't get to fly but I'm assuming there'll be something up there for me to avoid and also the occasional moving aircraft on the ground?

There is one thing I'm really unsure about and there's no real guidance on it that I can see. That is what I should click in the 'configure my traffic' panel. At present I have clicked 'Install aircraft with full resolutions and settings' and 'disable FSX default traffic'.

If I enable the FSX default traffic, will that increase the activity, or will it mess everything up?

John

EGCC is Manchester John not Cardiff, so you can probably understand now that 20 aircraft at Manchester means its practically empty, but that's with UT2 not MTX. Traffic can vary with time of day and the day of the week too.

You seem to have set up MTX correctly so there is nothing else to do, other than make sure you do have both sliders at 100% for the traffic. Do you have a tools menu in FSX John, next to the add-ons menu?

Sorry Andy - misread it.

However, firstly this morning, I found that with the 'scenery\world\scenery\trafficaircraft.bgl' I also had 'trafficcarriers.bgl' so I renamed that to 'traffic_carriers.bgl.

Then I made sure that FSX was disenabled in My TrafficX and had a short flight from Cardiff, where I found I was in company with about six maybe seven large commercial aircraft and plenty of movement of ground vehicles and one or two of the aircraft. I could see there was stuff flying about too, so that was all a good sign.

I flew to Bristol Intl and joined the queue, landed and taxiing to the gate passed EasyJet and RyanAir 'planes and managed to avoid the ground vehicles too.

So, all in all I'm very pleased. With the high definitions settings in My TrafficX and the highest Air Traffic settings in FSX I chose, I'm also very impressed with the frame rates, excellent.

To answer your question Andy, there's no tools button that I can see;

capturejpg2.jpg

By the way, if you have any suggestions to make concerning where My TrafficX should appear in the above list, i would be grateful. I'm a little concerned that it may interfere with my FTX installation which I've had well and truly turned off while this has been going on.

What I would also like to know is if you think turning FSX AI off in the Orbx FTX AI Control Panel while flying in Australia will also turn My TrafficX off. The reason I ask is because I have the ORBX Australian version of My Traffic installed solely for flying in Australia.

Thanks for your help....once again I'm in your debt. I blame TonyM for all this because it was him that told me I should get it in the first place! :lol:

All the best,

John

Thanks for this detailed report. It looks as if everything runs fine now. Bristol as example is one of the airports I use to check before any release because I know it from own recent visits. So, if with the settings you have now Bristol is busy, than it is fine. If there is an airport still that should have more activity, but you find less, just tell us. Typically this has to do with the airport layout, and it will require modifications of the airports to be able to handle more traffic. The good way MyTraffic is programmed is that once the airport gets more powerful, the traffic comes almost automatically, cannot wait for the third runway in Heathrow, currently there are too many parkings and terminals for the two runways, but everybody agrees on that :lol:

If you are using any third party addons, MyTraffic should be below them, the best place is between addon scenery and propellor objects, if that is the question you asked. Don't be afraid of any interference elsewhere, MyTraffic X is just one scenery folder for FSX and 4500 aircraft, not more. If you turn FSX AI traffic off, then MyTraffic is off too, that is the sense of that option.

If you switch the default AI traffic back on, you will see the default traffic again. But do you really wantOrbit, Pacifica and Landmark back? And as Isaid above, MyTraffic fills all airports to what they can handle. Making much more traffic requires working on more powerful airport layouts. Any feedback which one to improve is highly welcome, any local knowlege - MyTraffic would not be where it is now without hundreds of user giving such feedback, implemeted into the next version.

Thanks Burkhard

The addons I'm running in Europe are Horizon Photo Scenery for England and Wales, Scotflight (latest edition) for Scotland. UTX Europe, Canada and America along with GEX USA & Canada, Earth Simulations Alderney and FTX for Australia. I've also got most of England and Wales freeware and payware airports (Note for Andy-I don't have Manchester, no one seems to have made it for Horizon) and all the freeware and payware airports currently available for Australia.

As you can imagine, you only saw the top of the list I enclosed which is pretty huge. I try to keep it some sort of order and I know that FTX, OZx and Ants Australian Airports are preferred at the top which is why I was asking for the optimum position for My Traffic X. I'll move it down to where you suggest.

I can understand the difficulty you have in England & Wales. Most of the FSX airports in England and Wales are positioned wrongly but the addons specially made for Horizon Photo scenery correct this. Its a wonder to me your aircraft and stuff get on the runways and aprons at all!

I was surprised that Cardiff had a greater number of aircraft than Bristol, which,as you know from your visits, is now a huge international airport. Much larger and busier than Cardiff. As a matter of fact, I live quite close to both. From what you say though, Bristol will build up depending on usage. Is that right?

One other thing I'd like to ask if I may is what schedules I should use? Presently I'm using 2009. I'm probably being silly but have these been affected by the economic downturn? Would I find everywhere busier if I used 2008 for example?

I've just flown IFR from Edinbugh to Glasgow and I must say that was a busy flight. My goodness, ATC were at it the whole time and I had to go around, there were so many 'planes in the sky. Very, very enjoyable and to see them on the ground while taxiing is really so very much better than the default FSX.

Thank you for your interest. All the best to you.

John

(Note for Andy-I don't have Manchester, no one seems to have made it for Horizon)

I'm talking about the default Manchester John, I put up with it because its my local airport, I can see the tower from my window even though its 8 miles away, lol, I get a good view from my living room window :)

I tend to use Woodford more though as TonyM has done a good version of it and that is even closer to me than Ringway. Barton is the other side of Manchester to me and also gets a lot of my attention as I love grass runways for GA flights and Tony did an excellent version of this too.

That is why you asked for new GA planes :) .

The 2009 plans are more busy than the 2008 ones, the so called "down turn" ( the fact that every form of capitalism based on not existing own capital MUST fail earlier ot later ) only has reached MyTraffic sales like all other FS addons, but not the content. MyTraffic is almost an ideal world, I had to work hard to not have El Al visiting Damascus.

Bristol has in real world about 40 airliner departures per day. My notes say that there are about as many GA movements in those few hours I could watch it. Is this about correct?

With you long list of addons, one concern I have and what we should check is the following:

Many addon airports come with small own AI schedules, some with a few flights only. Many of them still are in FS8 schedule format. Such files may harm in the way, that they significatly reduce the number of AI flights in FSX format, 16 FS8/ttools driven aircraft completely kill FSX AI traffic, even when they refer to GA or stock planes only, and even when they refer to planes that are delted or never existed. I will look at Bristol at 12GMT and count what I see, you should do the same and we can compare if there is a tiny issue hidden.

Hi Burkhard

Thanks for your information. I think we picked a bad day. I don't think Bristol will have much traffic, if any at all, on a Sunday. They've had a lot of trouble with the residents. It's very near the City. However, I think you're probably right for the other days of the week at 40 departures.

I experimented with the position of My Traffic in the settings list. Right at the top-Priority 1, Below the Australian scenery at Priority 29 but above everything else and immediately above Propellor Objects- Priority 192. At 12 GMT, wherever it was in the priorities list, it showed only two small taildraggers parked at the back of beyond.

So, I went to Cardiff but wherever My Traffic was in the three Priority positions there was pleanty of activity and up to 6 or so aircraft.

I'll be interested to hear what you found in Bristol today Burkhard.

My conclusion is it'll work satisfactorily wherever it is. However, I've decided to relocate it to Priority 29 immediately below the Australian Scenery which, as I've said, has it's own AI but above the rest. Somehow it seems logical to me that the Aircraft etc should be on top of the actual scenery. I might well try it with the Australian AI turned off and compare the two. If that's the case it'll go back to 1 at the top of everything in the priority list.

I take your point Burkhard about addon sceneries and airports having their own AI schedules. However, I might be wrong, but I don't remember coming across any in my addons.

Yes Andy, I found both Glasgow and Edinburgh fine yesterday too. I'm now pretty sure the Scotflight and all the other scenery will be ok. At least I'm lucky that what passes for my local airports, Bristol and Cardiff have been done for the Horizon scenery. It must be most frustrating for you not to have Manchester when you can actually see it from your home. I'm surprised no-one's attempted it although I expect it would be a massive job.

Best wishes to you both.

John

Well, that is strange Kagazi!

I'm running the EGGD Bristol in the payware UK2000 version covering Horizon Vol.1.

Incidentally, I came up on here again simply to report I've just completed a flight from Pittsburgh, Pen. to Columbus, Ohio and with the Aviation Traffic settings maxed out, my sim was somewhat shaky with frame rates getting down to 5's and 6's. Mind you, there was an awful lot of stuff about! I reverted to my previous settings of '50,50, medium' and found they were very comfortably exceeding 10 fps and still left me with a very acceptable and satisfactory amount of traffic. I've saved those settings in my American and Canada cfg now.

So, I know My Traffic is working fine but I must say Bristol remains a mystery. I'm wondering if there's something in that UK2000 stuff that's blocking it up, although Cardiff is included in that and it seems fine.

Maybe I'm a bit unlucky with the time?

I'm gonna have another look.

John

PS - Yep, this time in addition to the two small tail draggers, there's an Easyjet parked on the other side of the fence alongside the road. I've noticed this before, there's the passenger compartment of an airliner parked front on against the wall of one of the buildings. There's also a bloke sitting on a motorbike in the car park at the back of the terminal. Its all very weird but I think Burhard is right. It's more than likely the UK2000 airport scenery inhibiting My Traffic. Thankfully, I've got all of Tony M's airports and only use the UK 2000 airports where he hasn't done one. Luckily too, he uses My Trafic so he's certainly designing his work so it doesn't interfere.

@John, there's no such thing as luck with MTX; it's either working or not working. The airport scenery file (ADE, AFX etc.) will play a significant role in what you observe at any given airport.

Also, as noted by Burkhard, some scenery come with a small amouts of AI that are using schedules produced by Ttools, which would impact MTX which uses the TDBBx. Try removing the add-ons (Horizon plus Bristol/Cardiff) and test MTX with native scenery. By the way, I did not observe Cardiff, but it may be worth comparing numbers. If you can give me your numbers @12 GMT today I will provide you with a comparison.

I find many more GA (VFR) in the US as compared to the EU so your observation regarding fps at 100/100 is not surprising. By the way, I forgot to mention in my test of EGGD that my IFR/VFR settings were 69%/15%. I have never examined the scenery file that is provided by UK2000 so I can't speak as to whether it's truly optimized for use with MTX or error free for that matter.

Hi Kagasi

I was just going to reply that there's no possibility of removing Horizon. That's certainly not an option. I think Andy's got the answer but I can't test it now.

In the meantime Andy, I've looked and looked and can't find that VFR Airfield customisation Tool. I remembered it earlier to try but couldn't find it. Give me a path to it please and next time I get on to the computer, some time tomorrow now, I'll do that. I can see that that could solve all the problems 'cos I get none outside that area. It works fine elsewhere.

Many thanks

John

PS I should explain I found it under the start menu but it tells me its been changed or moved so may not work properly and then asks me if I want to delet it. But typically, doesn't tell where the change or move is to!

Yes Andy, I've been there but in that list there are three 'options' one is a folder containing; 'SGLL_Aircraft.bgl' and 'options.cfg'. The others are; 'options.bin' and 'options.bmp' so none of them are any good for what I need to do.

I've been through the list clicking on every item and there's nothing anything like a control panel in any of them. I've certainly never touched anything before, never having the need to as it all works perfectly. However, I've a feeling that the upgrade may have removed the Options-configuration option. It's the only thing I could think of.

By the way, this morning I removed to a temporary location 'EGGD_AIRCRAFT.bgl' but it messed the airport up in other ways and there were no aircraft at all so I put it back. When I checked after there was an EasyJet parked and the usual couple of small taildraggers, so nothing's changed!

I'm definitely getting the feeling that it might be best to uninstall the UK 2000 stuff completely and then reinstall it which will hopefully give me the control panel back at least until I put the upgrade on again. If I do that though, I want to be fairly confident about what I need to do when I get the 'options-configuration' panel open. I mean, what to delete and what to leave! And then, what about the upgrade? I'm not sure that gives any options or even what's in it. I know there's a couple of corrections to Heathrow and City but I seem to remember it contains more than that, perhaps even more aircraft!

So, it's a dilemma. The thing is, I can use My Traffic but its galling to discover that I can't enjoy its full potential in England because of the need to have airports specially made for the Horizon Scenery.

I would appreciate your recommendation on all this mate. It's a pity you're up Country, otherwise I'd have you round here doing your bit for the aged and computer illiterate! :lol:

Nothing's ever easy is it?!!! :roll:

John

Since I still have the suspicion that we have to deal with some small costum traffic files in FS8/ttools format, this reminds me that somebody here wished for a tool to find such files. Maybe I can give it a try to make such a tool, so you could just enjoy and fly and wait until I have such a thing and then try it out,

Hi Andy

Thanks for your offer but in the meantime I got itchy fingers and deleted UK2000VFR and reinstalled. The result is that I've now got UKVFR with the options communicator working but without AI GA flight plans, without Explorer AI and without any Static Aircraft.

It was a bit drastic I know, but I wanted to see how it would help MyTraffic X. Actually, I don't think it did. I've just finished a flight from Bristol to Cardiff. Bristol had two airliners parked an Iberian Airlines and another, Cardiff had umpteen of them and the airport was buzzing with the coming and going.

Earlier I did a flight using FTX changing nothing (and still leaving FSX AI disabled) from Redcliffe (nothing much happening there, a few parked small planes is all as usual, Its a small place) to Brisbane in Queensland, and Brisbane was definitely exciting. My goodnes, there were 'planes coming and going all over the place and too many to count parked. Mostly Quantas and Australian Airlines but there were also Virgin, I think EasyJet(?) and New Zealand and Pacific Airlines.

So all in all I'm very pleased. Bristol is the only weakness that I can see. Everywhere else is fine, specially America where I've had to reduce the settings! So, I'll accept it. No good fighting a losing battle when there's the rest of the world to fly in! :D

There is one question remaining. I don't really know what airports MyTraffic X (Is there a list somewhere?) has in the UK VFR2000 Vol.1 region and I would rather like to activate the UKVFR2000 Static Aircraft and even possibly GA Flight Plans (Although I'm not sure that's possible) where My Traffic isn't operating if you see what I mean.

The question is therefore; will it be reasonable to assume that My Traffic operates only from the main regional airports and not from places like Badminton, Thruxton, Colerne, etc.?

Sorry to take up so much of your time with this Andy.

Just in case you would like to get in touch privately at any time, I'll PM my email address to you from the Horizon forum 'cos I can't see anywhere on this one where they can be sent.

All the best

John

To see what airports are included with MTX browse to...

*:\....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\MyTraffic\scenery\

every file in that folder beginning with BR2 is an airport AFCAD supplied by MTX. I have Bristol Xtreme from UK2000 and I see many aircraft there more or less all the time, I have the VFR volume 1 version disabled in the option.exe program by using the settings on the right hand side of the interface.

I also actually go to the folder mentioned above and disable any airports I have better AFCADS for by renaming the files to something like BR2_EGLL.BGL.off to re-enable the MTX supplied AFCAD I just change the name back to BR2_EGLL.BGL

MTX does include some smaller airflields, you can find out which from the AFCADS listed in the folder mentioned in my opening paragraph.