The simFlight Network Forums
packlite

FSC Installation in vista 64

I am unable to update the database. I have followed the instruction found in this area = unziping the installation files and then runing the instalation with run as administrator. I have also ran the database program independely with run as administrator and still unable to find it. The post about showing the file extensions in vista in order to see the true name of the scenery file does not seem to work for me it still only shows the file as scenery.cfg and not as scenery.cfg.cgf. I have also tried to just move this file into the FSX directory and run the database again as an adminsitrator but still the path was not found, when I put the original scenery.cfg file back into its hidden area I killed FSX " Fatal error " . I tried to repair it with the FSX disk to no avail and had to uninstall and install FSX again. again I re install FSC the database path not found. There is a mention in the help included with the program of a utility to fined the path on a network, but this file was not installed on my FSC directory. Reading the forum for answers someone else named Berri had the same problem but I failed to find how he corrected this mess someone asked him to PM him. I dont know what that means (punch him in the mouth?)

I am not a tech person nor do i know vista I just want to play. Is this too much to ask.

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

First when posting, please include the information requested in the following post: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=74997.

Second, here's an extract of FSC's User Manual, Database Manager, Updating Airport Files: " . . . The file scenery.cfg must be copied from the Scenery Library folder C:\….Microsoft\FSX\ into the directory in which FSX has been installed. Since we do not want to overwrite anything in the FSX folder, we copy the file scenery.cfg (the one in the Scenery Library folder) renamed as scenerycfg.fsc into the FSX folder." You might want to re-read that part of the manual which only takes a couple of minutes.

According to the information provided in your post, you have incorrectly renamed a copy of FSX's Scenery configuration file. Again according to your post, you named it scenery.cfg.cgf instead of scenerycfg.fsc as directed by the authors.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Thank you for responding .

I am sorry for not including the info needed.

1. the Flifhgt comander X is not able to find the database for FSX, it does find the database for FS9

2. FSUIPc/Wide for FSX are been used - both are registered to me

3. The purschase of flight commander was a download version 850

4. I am installing it on windows vista 64.

I turned off the user account control, re booted, re install fligth commander X and FSUIPC/Wide wtih run as administator, the flight commander data base can not be found. I have tried to reveal the Vista ture name for the scenery file as described in the manual, with no luck.( by the way the manual does not run form within flight commander after starting it for fs9, I have to go to the FSC directory help folder to look it up) can you tell me the excact steps to make Vista reveal scenery.cfg.cfg? Vista still only shows it as scenery.cfg.

Thank you in advance.

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

In your first sentence you're saying " . . . the flight commander data base can not be found . . ." I doubt that FSC cannot find the database but rather the database can't find the renamed scenery configuration file. Remember your initial request which was for help about how to update the database!

Ruben you did it again: you're not properly renaming a copy of the configuration file! Here's what you're saying near the end of your second post: " . . . can you tell me the exact steps to make Vista reveal scenery.cfg.cfg? . . ." Take a very close look at the name you gave, I presume, to the copy of the configuration file! It doesn't match what the authors have proposed! You called it scenery.cfg.cfg when it should be named scenerycfg.fsc. Have a close look at the manual, an extract of which I've included in my first response. Make a copy of the scenery configuration file and name it scenerycfg.fsc (and for clarity, I intentionally didn't end my sentence with a period)

If this is wrong, then the manual is wrong but that is very unlikely. I've used FSC for several years now and have found the manual to be faultless.

Read that part of the manual several times if required. I have had to do it on several occasions! And it paid off because I realised that I had missed something or misinterpreted the intended message!

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Sorry Jean -Jacques, my bad.

I was entering a period right after the word scenery. Thank you for your assistance I got the database to update and FSC now loads the database and its working with FSX.

Two more questions, Is the update for the database only needs to be run one time, or does it need to be updated each time new scenery files or new airport scenery are added to FSX? In flight planning area is the top of climb or decned generated when the flight plan is completed? , I was practicing with the route in the manual EDDL - EDDF and dont know how to add the t/d into the plan.

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

Well done! To your first question, yes FSC’s database must be rebuilt EVERY time airport and facility data in FS9/FSX are changed, for example data contained in AFCADs. So if you delete, modify or add scenery, then the information in FSC’s database no longer exactly matches the information related to airports and facilities in FS9/FSX unless the database is rebuilt.

I don’t have an answer to your second question because I don’t use such features. I use FSC to prepare basic flight plans and rely on Radar Contact for headings and flight levels while I fly the plane! You’ll have to hope that someone else reads this post and offers help. If not, ask again but in a new post with an appropriate title.

Regards, Jean-Jacques

Addendum to my last post . . .

. . . and don’t forget that after deleting, modifying or adding scenery files, you’ll need to, once again, copy and rename your updated scenery configuration file after FSX has rebuilt it! Otherwise, FSC will rebuilt its database using your ‘old’ renamed configuration file!

Regards, Jean-Jacques