The simFlight Network Forums

Planes flying at altitudes of FL700 and activity level 0%

I've noticed some planes are flying at extremely high altitudes, such as FL600 and FL800, and ATC tells them to expedite their climb to those altitudes. I've noted the flight numbers for the ones that have high cruising altitudes.

• Mexicana 943
    Continental 534
    Delta 1216
    Eagle Flight 494
    Northwest 649
    Cactus 88
    Delta 1540
    Alaska 5

Can you fix this in the appropriate .bgl file(s)?

Also, I decided to take a look in the MyTrafficCommercial.bgl file using AI Flight Planner. In its report, it says that some flights have a invalid activity level. I found out the activity levels were 0% for some flights, but the same flight using the same model and same times were there for the next row. In other words, the flights that had 0% activity level were copied and had a different activity level. Can you look into this further?

No aircraft in MyTraffic flies higher than 34000 feet, you can check in the MyCommercialRotes.dat file yourself. If you see this, this indicates that your ATC does not only get the waypoint information from FSX and MyTraffic, but also old one from FS8 or FS9 and mixes these up.

As first measure, use the little tool from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=76589 , run the .bat file ( not the exe only!) and make sure NO other traffic file is present but those stated there. I would be very astonished if the problems remain.

What is activity level? Does this refer to the traffic density settings? It is well documented that the mechanism that removes clear double entries from the data moves candicates that are more different (more than 30 minutes apart, different flight number, different type...) to traffic densities above 90%, so that you should not see them with traffic densities below 90% - or what do you refer to?

I ran the .bat tool and the only traffic plans are the ones in MyTraffic except for the Boats and Carriers in the default FSX directory.

I included some pictures of the problems AI Flight Planner found and included a few pictures of the flights that have altitudes greater than 34000 feet. I included the section on Activity Levels from the AI Flight Planner Manual below.

6.10 Adjusting Activity Levels – The activity level setting in a flight plan determines the

traffic level setting in the simulator at or above which the flight plan will operate.

The editor allows this level to be set for an individual flight plan. However, large

flight plan/traffic files, for example, those covering the complete schedule of a

major airline, may overload your system or result in the parking available at

certain airports, especially principle hubs, to be exhausted if all flight plans have

the same activity level. Sub-setting of the file will, of course, provide a solution.

But, sub-setting (which will eliminate legs or entire flight plans) may not be

necessary. The Flight Plans / Adjust Activity Levels feature allows the activity

level of all flight plans to be adjusted at once to achieve a desired traffic

distribution.

AI Flight Planner provides three types of traffic-based activity level adjustment.

You specify the levels:

• at or below which no traffic, and

• at or above which all traffic

from the file is to operate and select whether, between these two levels, a

proportional amount of traffic is to be generated:

• for each airport,

• for each airport but with the most frequently used airports being deemphasized

so traffic is more evenly distributed across the other airports, or

• for each aircraft.

AI Flight Planner will then calculate and apply an appropriate activity level setting

for each flight plan in the Flight Plan List, thus allowing you to address the

overload situation to a certain extent using the traffic level setting in the

simulator.

This feature will be most useful with large, complex flight plan/traffic files. When

used with small files or those where the majority of the flight plans are for simple

return flights between two airports, you’ll likely find the majority of the adjusted

activity levels ”clumped” near either the low or high end.

post-35053-128689685677_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685729_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685747_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685781_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685799_thumb.jpg

Never saw that tool, and have no idea for what it could be good. According to the txt you posted looks as if it tries to manage a bigger number of AI schedules like those from PAI/WOAI, something not supported in FSX ( maximum supported trafic file number is 5 ) .

0 is an allowed value according to FSX SDK.

Never saw that tool, and have no idea for what it could be good. According to the txt you posted looks as if it tries to manage a bigger number of AI schedules like those from PAI/WOAI, something not supported in FSX ( maximum supported trafic file number is 5 ) .

According to what I know the tool was developed by Don Grovestine and is heavily supported by Martin Gossmann (Owl' s Nest).

This is a quote from the Help file in the SDK. The help file is also available online at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526965.aspx

trafficDensity = minimum traffic density required (1 to 100)

The activity level is similar to traffic density. The % value is the minimum traffic density that should be set in FSX for the aircraft to show in FSX.

Also, I included the ones with the High Altitudes circled so you can see the problem. I found Continental 1747 with a cruise altitude of FL670 and Alaska 1 with cruise altitude of FL836. Some others are:

• [*:1877mfqb]Continental 685
    [*:1877mfqb]Continental 703
    [*:1877mfqb]Continental 1564
    [*:1877mfqb]United 91
    [*:1877mfqb]Embrarer 2BA (This one, I noticed it was descending to FL370)

post-35053-128689685875_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685918_thumb.jpg

post-35053-128689685937_thumb.jpg

What version of MyTrafic are you referring to? I digged out the last picture as an example, but MyTraffic 5.2a has no 11:22 departure from KPDX to KMDW. Using the traffic tollbox explorer, I doule clicked to all aircraft in the air andf checked the altitudes they were in, all were in reasonable heights, the airliners between 8000 and 11000m, the small ones around 4000m as programmed.

First trial. I attach the latest build of the MyTraffic Editor here. This checks the altitude of flights to not be higher than the max altitude allowed for the models.

So please ( provided you have copied the Trafficdatabasebuilder.exe from your FSX SDK SP1, SP1a or SP2 or acceleration to the MyTraffic folder ) put this exe into the MyTraffic folder, start it, load the actual database (MTXV52a.myt), and select "Create all files and traffic". This should correct the incorrect altitude values.

For users who are familiar with the editor, this version has some new future enhancements.

It allows the user to put airports on the priority list. For airport where this new check box is checked, traffic will be less sensitive to the traffic density slider. It will keep its full traffic at traffic densities of 50%, and 50% at traffic density sliders at 10%. This allows the user to have busy airports he uses himself combined with quiet, but not dead airports around him, a good way to get some frames.

Since at least as release candidate there is an operting system available now that allows usage of the DX10 without all those bugs Vista is famous for, you can set the new editor to use DX10 as default in the ini file, just a check in the ini file dialog. This has a significant change behind it:

Up to now the automatic schedules where created with all actually registered aircraft. Checking DX10 just meant that DX9 aircraft got not written out, but took slots. Now, with DX10 checked, they will only be created for DX10 aircraft, leaving no slots for the DX9 ones.

MyTrafficX.zip

First trial. I attach the latest build of the MyTraffic Editor here. This checks the altitude of flights to not be higher than the max altitude allowed for the models.

So please ( provided you have copied the Trafficdatabasebuilder.exe from your FSX SDK SP1, SP1a or SP2 or acceleration to the MyTraffic folder ) put this exe into the MyTraffic folder, start it, load the actual database (MTXV52a.myt), and select "Create all files and traffic". This should correct the incorrect altitude values.

For users who are familiar with the editor, this version has some new future enhancements.

It allows the user to put airports on the priority list. For airport where this new check box is checked, traffic will be less sensitive to the traffic density slider. It will keep its full traffic at traffic densities of 50%, and 50% at traffic density sliders at 10%. This allows the user to have busy airports he uses himself combined with quiet, but not dead airports around him, a good way to get some frames.

Since at least as release candidate there is an operting system available now that allows usage of the DX10 without all those bugs Vista is famous for, you can set the new editor to use DX10 as default in the ini file, just a check in the ini file dialog. This has a significant change behind it:

Up to now the automatic schedules where created with all actually registered aircraft. Checking DX10 just meant that DX9 aircraft got not written out, but took slots. Now, with DX10 checked, they will only be created for DX10 aircraft, leaving no slots for the DX9 ones.

I recreated the traffic files using this and looked into the MyCommercialRoutes.dat file. I did a brief check and saw no flights with altitudes above FL350. So the problem is fixed.

Thank you so much for fixing this problem. :D

After running the new editor I checked the MyTrafficcommercial.bgl using AIFP (AI Flight Planner) and found no routes above 39,000 feet.

@ Burkhard,

Regarding the airport priority would it be possible to add a line to the editor opening screen stating how many airports have priority set eg;

Number of planes : 54883

Number of airports : 8122

Number of priority airports : 0 to ??

Also maybe a way of listing the priority airports from within the editor in case the user has forgotten which ones and wants to remove the priority on some.

Mike