The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 registration and WIN7

Hi,

Perhaps a silly question directly to Pete.

Since FS2000 or so, I have always used two copies of FS. On a different partition I always had a 'clean' copy, without add-ons and the like, which I use for design work.

As per the old trick, I copied fsx.exe under a different name and it worked perfectly, including FSUIPC, which also worked fine being copied to the other 'Modules' folder of the 'design' copy of FS.

Worked perfectly till now (when I installed Win7 64bits version).

Now, under WIN7 I simply can not get this separate copy of FSUIPC work, whatever I try to do, it always remains unregistred.

I even renamed the original FSX folder, installed FSUIPC4 directly under the other copy, but I can't get it work 'registred' if I use the other fsx.exe copy (which in my case is renamed to workfsx.exe).

If I run the spare copy of FS by starting it with fsx.exe, FSUIPC is registred and works fine, but whenever I start it with workfsx.exe, FSUIPC is unregistred.

Any help please?

thanks in advance

Potroh

Since FS2000 or so, I have always used two copies of FS. On a different partition I always had a 'clean' copy, without add-ons and the like, which I use for design work.

I do a similar thing, though not in separate partitions, just folders, like "C:\FS9orig" and "C:\FS9".

... including FSUIPC, which also worked fine being copied to the other 'Modules' folder of the 'design' copy of FS.

Provided the DLL.XML only contains the relative path to FSUIPC4.DLL, yes, that would be fine. By "relative" I mean relative to the FSX main path.

Worked perfectly till now (when I installed Win7 64bits version). Now, under WIN7 I simply can not get this separate copy of FSUIPC work, whatever I try to do, it always remains unregistred.

And is the ONLY change the move to Win7? No FSUIPC4 update at the same time?

If I run the spare copy of FS by starting it with fsx.exe, FSUIPC is registred and works fine, but whenever I start it with workfsx.exe, FSUIPC is unregistred.

Any help please?

Did you rename the FSUIPC4.KEY file to take into account the difference in the FSX.EXE name? I think it would have to be FSUIPC4.workFSX.KEY

There is one other possible problem I can see, which results from the merger at FSUIPC 4.50 time, of FSUIPC4 and ESPIPC. It think I check on the presence of the FSX.EXE or ESP.EXE in order to determine which version FSUIPC4 is running in. If the wrong answer results, some things may not work. I don't think this can affect registration though. Can you check the FSUIPC4.workFSX.LOG file, see what it says?

[LATER]

Well I don't think the latter would be a problem with FSX.EXE renaming, but it would with ESP.EXE, where FSUIPC4 would decide it must be running on FSX not ESP.

Regards

Pete

Did you rename the FSUIPC4.KEY file to take into account the difference in the FSX.EXE name? I think it would have to be FSUIPC4.workFSX.KEY

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for your prompt answer!

Yes, your wisdom has solved the problem, I have renamed FSUIPC4.KEY and it works perfectly now.

I never thought of doing this, as I had no idea that the key-file-name counts at all. It used to work fine under XP, without renaming it.

Many thanks again!

regards

Potroh

Yes, your wisdom has solved the problem, I have renamed FSUIPC4.KEY and it works perfectly now.

I never thought of doing this, as I had no idea that the key-file-name counts at all. It used to work fine under XP, without renaming it.

Hmm. Strange. It shouldn't do.

Incidentally, the documentation (the section in the Advanced User's guide about all this) does explicitly include the .KEY file:

If you give a name beginning with “FSX”, such as FSX_for_Choppers.EXE then FSUIPC4 uses the appended part for its files, thus:

FSUIPC4_for_Choppers.INI (also for .LOG, and even .KEY—so remember to duplicate your KEY file and rename it accordingly or you will find yourself unregistered).

If you don't keep “FSX” as the first characters, then the whole of the new name is appended after a ‘.’—for example PetesFSX.EXE would give:

FSUIPC4.PetesFSX.INI (and again the same for .LOG and .KEY).

Not sure how you got away with it under XP -- there's no difference as far as any code in FSUIPC is concerned!

Regards

Pete