The simFlight Network Forums

Hopping from FSX to FS Commander 8

peejayh

This may be described on the PDF file but I have looked and can't find it. It may really simple to a number of you but I would be grateful for some help.

I use FSX with TripleHead2go but when I've activated FS Commander I get a horribly low frame rate when I try to run Commander on a fourth monitor. (Without FS Commander I get 42 fps but with it a lowly 4 fps!!)

So I've discarded that idea.

Is there a way to hop between FSX and Commander by disconnecting the fourth monitor and just showing the whole flight plan scenario on my three screens?

I can of course use the GPS when I fly my trusty Beechcraft but I'd like to utilize the FS Comm 8.4 now I've got it!!

Regards

Hi,

Please sign your posts so that we can address you by your name!

Now on with your question. There are several posts which discuss the hardware you're using. I've searched ' triplehead' and got a few hits. In the meantime, try this one: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=75427&p=464226&hilit=triplehead#p467379.

Don't forget that FS must be running in 'windowed' mode if you want to be able to access FSC during flights. Windows will only allow viewing more than one running program provided each program is running in windowed mode, not full-screen mode.

And when both FS and FSC are running in windowed mode, you can easily switch between the two using a utility called AltTabXP.exe. This utility allows switching between programs, regardless of how many are running, using 'right' and 'left' mouse clicks. Read this post: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=75507&p=464944&hilit=alt#p463913.

And lastly and I believe this to be your best option, run FS and FSC on separate computers in a network. You've already got a fourth screen. So if you can get your hands on an older computer, that'll do the trick (and I say old because it doesn't need to be a fast computer - I run FSC, Radar Contact, ActiveSky v6.5, MyFsTools, ShowText and of course WideFS on a second desktop which is 10 years old!). More on the subject of networking FSC can be found in the Appendix of FSC's User Manual. And as I've said in another post, don't be intimidated by the amount of information contained in the Appendix. It's really very easy to network FS and FSC. The Appendix is well written, clear and precise. When each step is followed meticulously, the result is very satisfying.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques

Hi Peter,

I don't know what you'll do that I suggested because I proposed two options but if you experience higher FPSs in 'full-screen' mode (and I must say 42 FPSs must be wonderful!), then my last option is the answer because then you can run FS in 'full-screen' mode on your main computer because you'll be running FSC on the second networked computer on which the FSC map will be displayed continuously.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again Jean-Jacques

I've never tried to do a networked arrangement of two computers so I don't what kit would be involved in linking the two machines. I have my main machine which is via Vista and has my FSX (with TripleHead2Go and FS Commander etc) but I do have a working Pentium 4 which is served by XP. This has an FSX on it. If I find a way to network the two of them would it be possible for me to insert FS Commander on the second machine and have it show the flight that is being operated on the Vista machine? Be glad for any hints you can offer. Thanks. Peter JH

Peter,

Yes of course you can have FS Commander run on your second PC. I not only run FSC on a second computer but also ShowText, Radar Contact, MyFsTools, FSChatter Live and ActiveSky. But the first step, as you point out, is to establish a network where the computers can 'talk' to each other, either directly or via wireless technology using Windows' Network Setup Wizard or the Wireless Network Setup Wizard. The trick is to ensure that your second computer can access files residing on your main computer, especially your FS (FSX or FS9) directory and your 'My Documents' directory to allow FSC running on the second computer to have access to FSX or FS9 files and Flight Simulator Files which are stored inside the 'My Documents' directory.

Once your network is established and running, then I would suggest you read the Appendix to FSC's User Manual (and read a second and third time - believe me, it'll payoff). Its easy if you follow each step meticulously. I would also strongly suggest to also pay particular attention to the Database Manager chapter in the Manual and its subchapter entitled Updating Airport Files and in particular the part dealing with updating airports for FSX in a network. This is an area which many folks have had trouble with simply because they had not paid attention to the details (the part about renaming a copy of the scenery configuration file).

Dont forget that in addition to FSUIPC on your main computer, you'll also need to install WideFS on the second computer.

All the best and if you need help, many of us are here to help. Once you get this setup humming, you'll wonder why you hadn't done it earlier!

Regards,

Jean-Jacques