The simFlight Network Forums
bobo

Need for better map overwiev!!! - similar to FS Navigator

Hello

I have been using FS Commander for quite a long time now and I haven't had any problems and for the most part I'm quite happy about it :D

HOWEVER, my actual intention with FS Commander was simply to use it as a moving map - that is, as a substitute to FS Navigator, witch unfortunately is not available for FSX. As an alternative to FS Navigator, FS Commander is equipped with a lot more information witch is very good. But when compared to FS Navigator FS Commander actually suffers from a severe lack of overview to the map. Simple, however essential information for an immediate overview is for some reason let out - Things like country labels, major city names and ground levels are not present at all. The only way to determine where you are in the world is through putting your pointer over an airport witch then leads to a HUGE list of all kind of information, witch certainly can be useful - However, very annoying if your intention, for a start, simply is to get a quick overview of your location!

As a frequent VFR flyer, searching for spectacular mountain areas, I also need common and simple information labels about ground levels - similar to what was present in FS Navigator - again, if I then should obtain that kind kind of information in FS Commander I then have to pin point over a specific airport witch on the other hand is not very likely in high altitude mountain areas. :evil:

As this kind of essential information properly would be very easy for you to add, wouldn't you then please consider to include these features for your future updates??

Kind regards, Morten

Hi Morten,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We always appreciate feedback from our users.

Unfortunately I disagree with you on most points. As a general remark let me say that - just as in real life - use of a moving map presupposes a minimum of geographical knowledge. So separate labels with country, state and city names are absolutely out and will certainly not be implemented. In particular, since this is indicated on every airport information label.

Contrary to what you write, I don't see that there is any essential (and available) information missing, including country, state, and city. Our constant problem is rather the opposite. There is too much information with the tendency of cluttering the screen. So we put much effort in devising all kinds of filters and alternatives to keep the map as decluttered as possible.

But there is one point where you are absolutely right, namely ground elevation is missing (except trivially at airports). This touches a serious point and a difficult problem. Let me say, first of all, that the mountain peaks (those little triangles) in FS Navigator were a pure fake. They had nothing to do with mountains or highest elevation, but were simply arbitrary elevations at arbitrary locations.

But the serious problem is this. Ground elevation information can essentially be taken from two sources. The first is obvious FS itself. But in order to to get this information, we would have to read ALL bgl files and this would take an estimate of 1hour 30min or more and would have to be repeated every time you make any changes in your sceneries. So that possibility is out for practical reasons.

The other option would be to take real-world data which are fairly easily available. But what most simmers tend to forget: the FS world IS NOT THE REAL WORLD. There are even huge differences between FS9 and FSX in the location of scenery objects. I believe that inaccurate elevation information is worse than no information at all. For the same reason we will not implement the possibility of using ICAO charts as background maps. These are all real-world data and FS has its own world. When it comes to landing on an airport in the mountains, a few hundred yards can be crucial. Maybe one day the situation changes and we get Google Earth sceneries. But until then there are limits to the reality you can obtain in FS.

Regards

Sascha

Hi Morten,

FSC's map has been discussed on several occasions over the past few years. As an addition to FSC's map and certainly not as an alternative, you might want to explore MyFsTools, a freeware program offering, among other features, both a moving map and a static map which can be updated manually at the press of a button. Should you be interested, you can learn more and actually see a screenshot by following this link: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=71824#p445012.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

i second pipeorgans post.

www.fswidgets.com has the free GMap software (FSX only)

its a 'moving' google earth map with your aircraft in the centre.

it can overlay roads and terrain

it also names the towns and villages etc.

its perfect for VFR flying.

i had fsnav but much prefer fs commander.

Hello you lucky FSX users!

Too bad GMap isn't available for us FS9 users. I'm sure there's a lot of us around and will probably continue to be for some time to come!

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

with msofts aces studio shutdown ,it means FSX is with us for some time to come.

theirfore nows a good time to upgrade to FSX and then you can also benefit from GMap.

+ the horizon vfr scenery is more detailed than the fs9 version,

and gary summons vfr airports are now redone for FSX

You're right and I've already upgraded to FSX, sort of, by purchasing the software but I'm missing the hardware to make it run! Hopefully I can find something decent and at a reasonable price once Windows 7 is out. Based on what I've read (buy now and upgrade later or wait), I don't see the logic in making a move before then.

Thanks,

Jean-Jacques

thanks for the info ref gmap

ive used it with FSX for quite a while now.

im glad to hear a version for fs9 is now available

ill pass this on to my fs9 buddies.

g-bobb

Thank you guys for all your tips!

FSWidgets is what I need! - Would it by any chance work over a local network between two computers?

- With FSX I use two computers for a setup with 9 monitors :-)

Regarding to FSC, I strongly disagree with Sascha - I tend to think that in a payware program such as FSC, one should expect a more up-to-date user interface, including access to different layers or channels witch then easily could lead to fulfil my simple requirement, and in fact loads of other facilities - any other statement most be regarded as admission of failure or lack of will to rethink the concept.

Obviously there can't be any more information on the screen as the user interface happens to be at present - in fact, as Sascha admit, there's already too much as it is. But there are ways to deal with that kind of problems - FSWidgets products is a good example of an intelligent way to manage several layers in one program!

Regards, Morten

yes gmap works across a network.

on the other point. FSC is designed as flight planning software, not really VFR sightseeing

i agree with sascha, and fsc is great for what it is.

luckily the widgets guys have enabled the fs9 flyers to enjoy VFR moving maps, as fsx flyers have been for some time.

so were sorted for all types of flying, thanks to those clever programmers.

I agree very much with you bobo. I also find FSCommander basicly a good program, but I find the map graphic very coarse/rough. The lines for the Vicor/Jet airways, the typography and the outline of the lands - evrything in the map is looking too coarse and rough. Talking about FSNavigator before I can only say that the map-look in this old program was fantastic. I know this "ey-candy" and smoothnes I want does not concern the basic function of FSC but for me (and a lot of other flightsimmers from many forum's) it is part of the experience and joy you have when you use a program like this.