The simFlight Network Forums

How to make certain planes fly in/out of an airport

idahosur

Can you give me a short version of the steps that I would have to take in order to get only USAF F-16's, KC-135's and C-17's to fly out of KRIV and into KRIV and only park at designated military fighter (F-16) and military ramp cargo (KC-135, C17) parking spots. Also to get DHL cargo planes to fly in/out of KRIV and to only park at DHL designated ramp cargo parking spots? Or is this even possible.

As I read the manual you can make enough schedules for the above planes to fill up the KRIV capacity, but I do not see anything about parking at designated spots. I am using ADE to modify KRIV. ADE does not have USAF as an airline and ADE certainly does not have California ANG 144th FS (F-16) as an airline.

Besides that I assume that when MTX generates schedules it pays no attention to what airline codes you have put into parking spots using ADE.

Regards,

Rod

ADE does not have USAF as an airline and ADE certainly does not have California ANG 144th FS (F-16) as an airline.

Besides that I assume that when MTX generates schedules it pays no attention to what airline codes you have put into parking spots using ADE.

If I understand you correctly, here is one example of USAF F16 aircraft.cfg file which I copied from the MyTraffic\aircraft\F16MX folder.

[fltsim.0]

title=F16 MyPaint00

sim=F16

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=My00

ui_manufacturer=MT General Dynamics

ui_type=F16 Fighting Falcon

ui_variation=USAF

atc_id=N-F16AF

atc_airline=USAF

atc_flight_number=1123

ATC_PARKING_TYPES=MIL_COMBAT,RAMP

atc_parking_codes=USAF

description=Fighter

The ATC_Parking_Types=mil_combat or ramp. ADE has both parking type options. You can find the default parking type options on the upper left tool bar next to the add gate green button. The ATC parking code is USAF. This parking code carries a very heavy weight and will help to distinguish the fighter jet from other AI that would also park at a ramp and that may be of a similar size.

[airplane_geometry]

wing_span = 45.8 //Feet

This equates to an FSX parking radius of 7m (rounded up).

Burkhard has written quite a bit regarding parking spot decision making so I'm sure he will add to this thread, but I just wanted you to be aware that customizing parking (to an extent) is possible in MTX using ADE.

So to recap: you would design some 7m (minimum) parking spots with ATC code (located in the properties box of ADE under code) USAF and designated ramp_mil_combat in ADE. You would use this same logic for the other military AI. This will help to ensure that your military AI park where they are supposed to park and other AI do not occupy the military spots. Of course there is more to ensuring AI park in the correct location but I'm only covering the connection between ADE and MTX.

MyTraffic itself does not know anything about the parking codes - all there is is that a parking code may be added to a type, which is a [fltsim.xx] entry in aicraft.cfg resp. sim.cfg, and to parkings.

In many cases, like the F18s, MyTraffic adds unit specific ATC_Parking types. To follow the scheme, for the California ANG 144th I would use a parking code U144.

So, an aircraft entry for this type could be´,where xx stands for the next free number. Weather put a dedicated paint or the general one into the Myxx folder, whatever you want to do, or write texture=My00 to use the standard paint.

[fltsim.xx]

title=F16 MyPaintxx

sim=F16

texture=Myxx

ui_variation=USAF

atc_airline=USAF

atc_parking_codes=U144

description=Fighter

Now in ADE, the parkings that are specific and of type ramp_mil_combat you can just type U144 in and it will write this to its data.

This way FSX will have this type parking at the assigned locations.

Next, in MyTraffic editor I would add a new airline "USAF 144 ANG" or any other meaningful name with country "N" and First hub "KRIV", and create a new type that belongs to that unit using the title as defined above. Now MyTraffic editor knows that the USAF 144 ANG is operating from KRIV and uses the defined type, that will use the correct parking locations. In order to tell it about the size of the unit, you now add some registrations, all starting with N-, better check they aren't used yet

The next time you run a "create schedules, files and traffic", the unit will flood the airport.

Once you set up all units properly, they will mix in a proper manner, but don't try to make everything at once, it is a major job you plan, and easier to control if you concentrate on one task.

Hope I didn't forget anything in this short setup, that's why I paid thousands of $ for the long manual.

Burhard,

Before I start on this I just want to confirm.

To keep it simple to start with:

I am just going to add additional [fltsim.xx]'s to the bottom of the MTX F-16 folder. I will add a unique parking code for any that I add and I will only use those textures for USAF as the airline.

Using ADE I will add USAF as the airline along with the code that I have picked to those milcombat parking spaces that I only want F-16's to park at. I will compile KRIV and replace in FSX.

After all of this I will need to do update the airport list since I changed the parking critera of KRIV.

Then I will need to run the Create>Schedule, Files & Traffic command since I basically added more F-16 sim's in the MTX-F16 folder and updated parking at KRIV.

After that assuming that I have done everthing right then at KRIV at those parking spaces that I only want F-16's then I should only see F-16's.

Regards,

Rod

Well I spent five hours today entering data and running the Create>Schedules, Files & Traffic command and I am kind of confused and disappointed.

I setup three new airlines in MTX, USAF, US Navy and US Marines. For the USAF I went into the sim.cfg of the F16, C17 and KC135 and added 10 new sim's in each with each sim having a unique parking code, atc_airline=USAF. For the US Navy and US Marines I added 13 helicopters between the two of them, each had its own code and each had the appropriate atc_airline designation.

In MTX I added each of the 43 new sims as a aircraft type and gave each a registration number. In KRIV for my mil cargo ramps I added the unique parking codes for the C17 and KC135, for my mil combat ramps I added the unique parking codes for the F16, on the south end of KRIV I have commercial cargo ramps and I added parking codes for DHL and ABX. I have nine parking spaces for helicopters and I added the unique parking codes for the US Navy and US Marines helicopters that I added into MTX. To finish it off I have some GA medium ramps.

I recompiled KRIV and put the new bgl into FSX, started FSX up, let the new KRIV load and then dumped my airports. Imported my new aiport list into MTX and then exported my airport.dat. After all this I ran the Create>Schedules, Files & Traffic command.

Now here is where I am confused, after this I started up FSX and I have an F16 and a UH1 Huey on my GA Medium ramps, nothing on my mil combat ramps and nothing on my mil cargo ramps. I do have a BX Air over on one of the commercial cargo spots and that is all that is at KRIV @ 20% traffic.

I move my traffic sliders all the way up to 100% and over at the commercial cargo i have two BX Air planes, and this is good since these planes should have parking code ABX, but now on my mil combat ramps I have a bunch of F/A-18's even though none of those parking spots are coded for them. On the nine helicopter ramps I have one US Army twin prop even though none of these ramps have a code for this US Army plane. Also none of the US Navy and US Marine helicopters that I added are on any of the helicopter parking ramps.

Does MTX even care about parking codes or does MTX just put stuff were it wants?

Rod

It's a little hard to judge where the problem is.

First a general thing. Neither does MyTraffic itself care abpout parking spots, nor does it place anything anywhere. All this is done under the sole regime of FSX using the airport and the aircraft you have programmed, with MyTraffic editor only supplying the information which aircraft to fly from airport KRIC to airport ABCD . So, the MyTraffic editor is responsible to create the schedules, where they park is nothing an addon can influence but through the airport ADE file and the entries in aircraft.cfg.

So we have many different tasks that you have to do step by step and not all at once, you made 43 new entries, how can we debug that ? Also I do not think it is a good idea to create an airline USAF. A generic airline " US Airforce" exists alreaedy in MyTraffic, hosting all those types that should not be specific to bases, but here you want to have specific types locally, that is why I recommended to create the units as airlines.

Now we would need much more detailed information, what you really did. So maybe you zip the airport bgl and and the aircraft config files you created and add them here. Then make screen shots of a type you created, the registrations you gave to it, the airline you created - are just zip the myt file and upload to Rapidshare or wherever so that I can have a look into it.

And now we come to the debugging part. You have to debug and verify operation of the aircraft, the airport, and the schedule, each alone, not all at once. Also I cannot change all three and expect it to work. So the MyTraffic editor specific question is: Does it generate schedules for the planes you made local to KRIC. The easiest way to do so is looking into the departure list - if the aircraft don't show up there, you have to fix this in the MyTraffic editor, if they show up there, but not in FSX, we have to start looking into the airport, the aircraft config, and in the middle of all the files...

Kambiz correctly points out that atc_airline is used by ATC to distinguish how to call the plane, but the parkings used are defined by atc_parking_codes .

Hope this helps, please, one step after the other...

Thanks for the responses, in regards to airlines, parking codes and the sims I added, below is one of the sims. The atc_airline=USAF, this is the airline that I added for the F16. Regarding atc_parking_codes=F160, F160 is the parking code that I put on my mil combat ramps at KRIV using ADE. Hopefully this is not were I made my mistake, or hopefully it is since it would be easy to correct. All the other sim's that I added follow the below format. All have unique titles and unique parking codes. As an example parking codes for the F16 are F160, F161, F162 - F169 and parking codes for the C17 are C170, C171, C172 - C179. I was thinking last night that maybe I should just make all the F16 parking codes F160, all the C17 parking codes C170, etc.

[fltsim.93]

title=F16 MyPaint00-0

sim=F16

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=My00

ui_variation=USAF

atc_id=N-AV120

atc_airline=USAF

atc_flight_number=1124

atc_parking_codes=F160

description=Fighter

As far as zipping all the files and posting, I am off to Chicago until Thursday so if the above does not have an appparent problem then I will have to zip the files and post them later this week.

Thanks for the help.

Rod

That should fine. I would worry over where the aircraft park only after they actually use the airport, so that seems not to work? Maybe you run an "export aircraft" drom the editor and zip the resulting MyTypes.dat and MyPlanes.dat files, they should then be small enough so that you can add them here.

That should fine. I would worry over where the aircraft park only after they actually use the airport, so that seems not to work? Maybe you run an "export aircraft" drom the editor and zip the resulting MyTypes.dat and MyPlanes.dat files, they should then be small enough so that you can add them here.

I will zip the files when I get back home, I am off to the airport, I just wanted to add a quick edit to my post from this morning, I started FSX and set the traffic to 100%, at KRIV I did have two of the KC135's and one UH-60 that I added show up as scheduled flights out. There were no F16's, C17's, CH47's, SH3's and CH53's. So anyway MTX did schedule some of the aircraft that I added to fly out of KRIV!

Regarding parking maybe I am confused, when FSX starts up and puts planes on the ground, does FSX go by the parking codes at parking spaces or does FSX just put the planes where FSX feels like?

Rod

This is a complex algorithm, that is not completely documented, but partially.

When FSX sets an aircraft, or an aircraft has landed and come to stop on the runway, FSX loops over all parkings. For each unused parking it calculates a probability to use it. Input to this are: Overlaps of the ATC_parking codes in aircraft.cfg and airport, overlap of the atc_parking_type, small difference of the radius, with aircraft radius bigger than the parking heavily punished, distance of the parking spot from where the landing aircraft is. If there is a parking with weight > 0, the one with biggest weight is used, otherwise the aircraft deleted.

But after the create schedules, files and traffic you should have many of your aircraft at the airport, provided you added enough registrations, so created a dozen or so planes per type.

For the F16, C17 and KC135 I made 10 each, I will make another 10 each. For the helicopters I only made 3 US Navy each for 3 of the types and the other type I only made 2 US Navy and 2 US Marines, I will try making more of all these. After this I will see what happens.

Back to parking Burkhard, you explained what FSX does when a plane lands, but when you start up FSX does FSX look at parking codes when FSX decides where to spawn planes? I think that I maybe looking for a perfect world and FSX is not going to give a perfect world. I have a GA ramp parking space that is empty and FSX decides to spawn an F16 there just because that is the way FSX works. If that is the way that it is then that is the way it is.

Rod

Back to parking Burkhard, you explained what FSX does when a plane lands, but when you start up FSX does FSX look at parking codes when FSX decides where to spawn planes?

My experience is yes to a very high degree but several conditions must first be met. For example, I have customized the parking types and sizes at KIAD based on a customized set of schedules in MTX.

Almost without exception, all AI spawn at the correct gate and Terminal. The exception being when I overload the airport with too much traffic which is easy to do in MTX. It's trial and error but I like to keep the airport at 75% capacity (based on open parking) max. This helps to ensure approapriate mix and traffic flow.

The key here is that the customized parking MUST match the customized schedules. The more the deviation the more chance for some AI to be parked out of place. The larger and busier the airport the harder it is to maintain perfection in my experience.

If you set your atc parking codes and parking types are in accordance to the codes set in the aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg file and if your parking is correctly sized per the half wing span value in meters, which can be derived from the wing span value in feet shown in the aircraft or sim.cfg file and if you have enough overflow parking then your planes should spawn at the correct location.

This takes a little trial and effort but It can be done - I've managed to do it at several airports.

Also, make sure that you do not have any faults in your custom airport file such as orphan parking or disconnected taxiways as errors in the airport scenery file may/will alter the outcome.

That is why Microsoft recommend to have to the maximum half of the parkings associated, and at the maximum a quarter of them filled - in that limit all works smooth - but that isn't what you want to see. So we operate FSX far off the design limits - and a good part of the art of it is to put it, with 100%, exactly at the limit where nothing more works. But let us see that you really get the traffic of a unit to fill the airport first and look for the parkings later ( if they don't work already ).

That is why Microsoft recommend to have to the maximum half of the parkings associated, and at the maximum a quarter of them filled - in that limit all works smooth - but that isn't what you want to see. So we operate FSX far off the design limits - and a good part of the art of it is to put it, with 100%, exactly at the limit where nothing more works. But let us see that you really get the traffic of a unit to fill the airport first and look for the parkings later ( if they don't work already ).

Okay, I will add more sim's to the ones that I have already added in the next couple of weeks and then see what happens!

Regards,

Rod

• 2 months later...

I have a similar question. I would like to modify an airport (KGTU) with ADE, and limit the traffic to GA planes only (no commercial or military). I understand that I could use a small parking radius to make sure that no (large) commercial aircrafts show up. My challenge is that I do want to see some corporate jets as part of the traffic at this airport (and accordingly have to allow some medium size parking radius). What is the easiest way for me to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

MyTraffic editor requires for airliners to park at gates. In detail, in the series you can look what each series requires. If RAMP_GA is enabled, the aircraft can depart from any airport with a RAMP_GAA of fitting radius. So if as example the CRJ200 is configured to be Gate only, and the identical Challenger 850 is allowed for Ramps, then the editor will use this information correctly in the automatic scheduling - as will the compiler not compile flight plans of CRJ on airports that do not have at least two gates.

So it mainly is the parking type, the radius is secondary ( but also used ).