The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.93 for FS9 causing CTD

I recently installed the new FSUIPC 3.93 for FS9. Now, when I start up FS9, it CTD, and it generates a FSUIPC.cgf file and text file in the modules folder. I delete those, try to start FS9 again, and it starts up OK. This happens every time. When I installed FSUIPC 3.93, this is the log file it created:

Installer for FSUIPC.DLL version 3.93

Looking in registry for FS9.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS9 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... >>> OK! FOUND FS9! <<< ...

Looking in registry for FS8 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS7 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS6.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for CFS2 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\2.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\2.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for CFS1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\1.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\1.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FS9:

EXE Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\"

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC installed in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL

... Version 3.930 found.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL"

Now installing additional files into the Modules folder:

Installed "FSUIPC User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FS2004 controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

It appears it couldn't find the registry entry for FS9.1, which is installed on my machine (I use VISTA). I checked my FS9.exe file and it is version 9.1. Could this be causing the CTD and if so, how do I fix it? I don't want to reinstall FS9, as I have TONS of addons, and don't want to erase all of them again. Can you help?

I recently installed the new FSUIPC 3.93 for FS9. Now, when I start up FS9, it CTD, and it generates a FSUIPC.cgf file and text file in the modules folder. I delete those, try to start FS9 again, and it starts up OK. This happens every time. When I installed FSUIPC 3.93, this is the log file it created:

Installer for FSUIPC.DLL version 3.93

Sounds like something else you have it conflicting with it. What add-ons do you have. At what exact point does this CTD occur? What is your defalut aircraft?

Unfortunately if there's any useful information it would be in the FSUIPC.LOG file, not in the Installer log.

It appears it couldn't find the registry entry for FS9.1, which is installed on my machine (I use VISTA).

It doesn't matter as it found the entry for 9.0, which I assume points to the right place?

Looking in registry for FS9 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... >>> OK! FOUND FS9! <<< ...

INSTALLATION FOR FS9:

EXE Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\"

I checked my FS9.exe file and it is version 9.1. Could this be causing the CTD

No.

... I have TONS of addons, and don't want to erase all of them again. Can you help?

It seems likely to be related to some add-on which FS9 is starting up with. What might that be?

What was the previous version of FSUIPC you were using? Unfortunately it looks like you ran the Installer before this log was produced, because it only found 3.93, so it doesn't tell me which one you were updating from.

Regards

Pete

I updated from 3.80.

Phew! That was 18 months ago! So many changes since then ...

As for addons, I just reinstalled all of them, so could be any one. I have tons of addon scenery and aircraft.

Hmm. Did you do that all at once? If so, that's unwise. Add one thing at a time and check between each.

Anyway, the questions are still there: when exactly does FS crash, and is it truly what they call a "CTD" (that is a crash to desktop with no error message, no indication, nothing, just a disappearing act), or is there some information? And is there an FSUIPC.LOG to show me? And is your FSUIPC registered, or do you just have it installed to interface some of your add-ons?

Ignoring the scenery for now, which add-ons might be loading on the way to this crash? Some other (non-FS) DLLs installed in the modules folder? Add-on aircraft using FSUIPC?

Generally, the changes between each release of FSUIPC are quite small. And there are interim updates in between. Each one represents a small increment and is well tested. I really need more information to be able to help at all.

One thing to do to start with, so we are on the same page -- please download and install (i.e. copy into the Modules folder) the current increment -- 3.932, from the Updates Announcement above.

Regards

Pete

when exactly does FS crash, and is it truly what they call a "CTD" (that is a crash to desktop with no error message, no indication, nothing, just a disappearing act), or is there some information? And is there an FSUIPC.LOG to show me? And is your FSUIPC registered, or do you just have it installed to interface some of your add-ons?

It crashes a few seconds after the intial splashscreen comes up. It says that there windows must close FS and then does. Here is the FSUIPC log that is generated:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.93 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.DLL" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

60450 System time = 15/09/2009 22:32:20

60466 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

60466 System time = 15/09/2009 22:32:20, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

102773 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

102960 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

124005 System time = 15/09/2009 22:33:23, FS2004 time = 22:33:08 (05:33Z)

124005 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 0 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

I do not have a registered version, just use it for addon interface. I have just about every payware aircraft there is, but never had any trouble with them before. I also have Active Sky 6.5, and other addons. Again, none of them caused problems before. And I do have you latest version installed in the modules folder.

It crashes a few seconds after the intial splashscreen comes up. It says that there windows must close FS and then does.

Okasy, so it isn't a true CTD, which displays nothing. Aren't there any buttons on that window which allow you to get more information? The biggest clue would be the Module which is crashing -- it would show the area of problem, whether scenery, aircraft, FSUIPC or whatever.

Here is the FSUIPC log that is generated:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.93 by Pete Dowson *********

Okay. So you haven't tried 3.932 yet?

The log shows everything loaded okay and FSUIPC is merely idling then waiting for something to do until it is closed tidily -- it isn't crashing, so it looks as if FS isn't actually crashing but closing purposefully, This is the point where FS has finished loading stuff -- 1m 43 secs after FSUIPC is loaded, so perhaps 2 minutes after you started FS. Is there nothing on screen but the initial splash screen all that time?

102773 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

102960 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

Then, about 20 seconds later, here is the point where FSUIPC receives a normal Close event from FS, indicating a normal close down:

124005 System time = 15/09/2009 22:33:23, FS2004 time = 22:33:08 (05:33Z)

124005 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

It isn't really doing anything in between. I don't know what FS is doing.

I do not have a registered version, just use it for addon interface.

Yes, so FSUIPC is doing nothing until an add-on asks it to.

I have just about every payware aircraft there is, but never had any trouble with them before.

This cannot be from an add-on aircraft as only the default C172 is loaded. I suspect it is a scenery-related issue, or possibly another non-FS module installed in the modules folder. Do you have any there, apart from FSUIPC?

I also have Active Sky 6.5, and other addons.

But none running when FS is loaded?

And I do have you latest version installed in the modules folder.

The log shows 3.93 still, not 3.932.

Can you try temporarily removing your FS9.CFG file (save it for restoration), so that FS loads with default settings. I think you'll find it in the ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder.

Regards

Pete

The only error message is it says that MSFS has encountered a problem and needs to close. That is it. I just loaded up 3.932 and same thing happens. Here is the log:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.932 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

17066 System time = 16/09/2009 07:12:32

17066 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

17066 System time = 16/09/2009 07:12:32, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

51246 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

51402 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

65676 System time = 16/09/2009 07:13:20, FS2004 time = 07:13:07 (14:13Z)

65676 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 0 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

I also took out the FS9.cfg file, and again, same thing happens. I do not have any other addons running when this happens. The funny thing is, when this happens, it generates a FSUIPC.cfg file and a log file. If I remove those, it will start without problems the next time. But it does generate those two files again, and then the next time, unless I remove them, it closes again. I am beginning to think this might be a scenery problem.

The only error message is it says that MSFS has encountered a problem and needs to close. That is it.

Strange. FS is certainly closing "naturally". In other words, it isn't crashing -- FSUIPC is receiving and processing the correct call to ask it to close down, along with the rest of FS.

I also took out the FS9.cfg file, and again, same thing happens. I do not have any other addons running when this happens.

I assume you checked the Modules folder for other non-FS add-in modules?

If so, it is pointing more and more towards some sort of scenery or texture problem.

The funny thing is, when this happens, it generates a FSUIPC.cfg file and a log file.

The FSUIPC settings file is FSUIPC.INI -- and yes, a default file is created if one does not exist beforehand. The LOG file is always created from scratch each time you load.

If I remove those, it will start without problems the next time.

Well, that really is weird. Can you show me the INI file it generates? It should be merely a default set of parameters, for you to edit should you need to.

Deleting the Log file shouldn't have any effect whatsoever, as it is created (overwritten) each time in any case. FSUIPC never reads it.

To check for scenery problems, I always do it by halving and quartering, etc, the scenery detailed in the SCENERY.CFG file. Carefully make a copy of the file, then, in the original, delete all of the add-on entries -- i.e. the ones beyond (higher Priority numbers) than the FS default sceneries. Test. If that works, add half the ones you deleted, and so on. As soon as it fails again, remove the last half which failed and halve it again. etc etc. You narrow in on the culprit quite quickly that way.

Regards

Pete

Pete, should I just modify the scenery.cfg file in the AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9 file, or the one in FS9 as well?

The one in the FS9 folder is only the default, not the one used. The active one will be that one in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9.

I tried just the one in the first file mentioned, and same thing happended, FS9 closed.

What exactly did you do with it?

If it is still occurring with no additional scenery, then there are only four areas left to ponder:

1) Some add-on scenery which has added itself to one of the default paths

2) A texture-based program like Ultimate Terrain or Active Sky's weather graphics program, which has added textures to the main sets of texture folders

3) Add-on aircraft used for AI traffic, or a faulty add-on traffic file

4) Other Add-In modules in the FS9 modules folder.

Item 4 is still the easiest to check for. the others are pretty difficult.

It might be worth your while renaming your FS9 folder for now, and move your FS9.CFG and Scenery.CFG file to a safe place -- so as not to lose anything, then install FS9 again (and the 9.1 update), in the original folder name. Check it before adding anything, then add FSUIPC and recheck it. If that's okay, you know it is something you've added, and you have the original texture and other scenery folders in FS9 to compare or replenish from.

I always have a "virgin" (untouched by add-ons) installation as well as a fully-added to installation, and swap between them by folder renaming and FS9.CFG/Scenery.CFG exchanging. That way allows me to narrow down on these things a lot faster.

Actually, mentioning 9.1 updates, I wonder if something did actually go wrong when you applied that -- you did mention that FSUIPC's installer couldn't find the Registry entry for it, which is a little suspicious.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I do have Active Sky 6.5 on my system. I looked in the FS9 modules folder, and there is a folder in there named ASv6. Within that folder is an FSUIPC.dll (version 3.5). In my modules folder is your up to date FSUIPC. Could this cause the problem I am experiencing? Should I remove that older version from the ASv6 folder, and if so, will that cause Active Sky not to work anymore?

Pete, I do have Active Sky 6.5 on my system. I looked in the FS9 modules folder, and there is a folder in there named ASv6. Within that folder is an FSUIPC.dll (version 3.5). In my modules folder is your up to date FSUIPC. Could this cause the problem I am experiencing? Should I remove that older version from the ASv6 folder, and if so, will that cause Active Sky not to work anymore?

Don't remove anything there. ASV6 merely comes with a version of FSUIPC in case you don't have one. It isn't doing any harm.

Regards

Pete

OK, Pete. I opened FS9 and clicked on Fly Now. I then clicked on Help in the menu bar, and clicked on About Microsoft Flight Simulator. It showed that I have FS9.1 installed and gave a version number. However, for product ID, it said "Registry error". This might be my problem. Could you check your setup and see if you get the same? If not, should I reinstall FS9.1, and do I need to uninstall all of my scenery and aircraft addons before I do? Thanks.

OK, Pete. I opened FS9 and clicked on Fly Now. I then clicked on Help in the menu bar, and clicked on About Microsoft Flight Simulator. It showed that I have FS9.1 installed and gave a version number. However, for product ID, it said "Registry error". This might be my problem. Could you check your setup and see if you get the same? If not, should I reinstall FS9.1, and do I need to uninstall all of my scenery and aircraft addons before I do? Thanks.

I don't think that's anything to worry about. Unlike FSX and ESP, FS9 is not dependent on much outside its own structure. It was written before they had all these side-by-side libraries and manifests and things which complicate matters now. If it is a problem of FS installation, it won't show in the Registry. If you are concerned then there is a repair tool for the Registry provided by Flight1 -- see http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

I really think it best to do what I advised before. i.e. rename your FS9 folder, and move your FS9.CFG and Scenery.CFG file to a safe place -- so as not to lose anything, then install FS9 again (and the 9.1 update), in the original folder name. That will hopefully fix the registry. Check it before adding anything, then add FSUIPC and recheck it. If that's okay, you know it was something you've added, and you now have the original texture and other scenery folders in FS9 to compare or replenish from.

Doing it this way you can still return to your fully-added version any time by renaming folders and restoring CFG files. As I said, I always have a "virgin" (untouched by add-ons) installation as well as a fully-added to installation, and swap between them by folder renaming and FS9.CFG/Scenery.CFG exchanging. That way allows me to narrow down on these things a lot faster.

Regards

Pete