The simFlight Network Forums
sunsetlounge

Jumping Airplanes on Airports

I hope someone is programming a new flight simulator where everything works fine and is as easy as the FSX to handle with. Microsoft or the ACES Studios can do almost nothing, and what they produced is almost shit.

Please reflect this sentence again. FSX is not only by far, light years, the best general purpose flight simulator around, I would even give it due to its detailed representation of the complete world, the enourmous varity of aircraft, together with the vivid addon community, the verdict to be the best edutainment and entertainment software that has ever been created by mankind.

In addition, FSX has a marvoulous quality. I'm in this buisiness since more than a decade, and we always had a lot of threads "My FS is crashing, please fix it", from FS5 to FS9 - look around and count these after FSX SP2.

I share your hope that in some future "someone is programming a new flight simulator where everything works fine and is as easy as the FSX to handle with". This sentence is easy to copy and paste, but we must be aware that this someone has to invest about 3 years and 30 Million Euros mimumum to get something as good as FSX is - knowing that he will never get this investment back like Microsoft Flight Simulator never has been a profit for Microsoft ( but in the very early days of FS1 maybe ). You have to put 100 brilliant enthusiastic people onto this project now to have something in the shops for christmas 2012, provided you have a very strict time control and a very efficient project management.

Well said Burkhard.

I will be jumping out of this thread as it's tone has devolved and importance has diminished.

Keep up the good work. Love MyTraffic X and eagerly await 5.2b....it just keeps getting better.

best,

You two are right, but it's also very depressing when you buy add-ons which were said to be very good, like myTraffic, and after installing you see that doesn't work as it should. Or is it normal too to buy a car that is said to be one of the best and after buying you realise that something is damaged and nobody has an idea what it could be? It's a radical example I know but nothing better went through my mind :)

I've got a new idea. I don't know a lot of the difference between installing FSX on Disc C:\ or another on like D:\ . I've got only one RAID-Harddisc where windows and all other programs are installed. Could that case my falling/jumping airplanes that something disturbe FSX and MyTraffic?

I'm deactivating any windows designs to have a desktop environment like windows 95. Maybe that something of the theme causes the problems. I don't know how often I unsintalled and installed again FSX and MyTraffic the last few days. Maybe everything happens because I do it so often? :roll:

I will test to other things:

1. Changing the windows design like windows 95/98: I think there is a problem with the dx and the themes

2. Changing my core speed back to default: maybe there are some loops or threads which cannot get finished because of the overclocking and causes that jumping planes?

It's impossible to have just (1) disk in a RAID array.

FSX should always (if possible) be installed on it's own dedicated HDD. Separate from the OS HDD. A WD Black with 32mb cache or a Velociraptor if you can afford one.

Avoid "motherboard" RAID like the plague for FSX as it only serves to further stress your CPU...which is the most important part as far as FSX is concerned. True hardware RAID is great but can get pricey.

That may not solve this particular issue but it will make the whole FSX experience start to work for you.

best,

Hm... that sounds interesting and I have a new idea. Maybe I've got a loading problem with my harddisc and fsx, especially the scenery and textures... the latency could be so big that the loading gets disordered between harddisc and cpu and that could cause the jumping planes... No, I have got 3 disc in 1 RAID, controlled by the motherboard (ok, I suppose know a lot of computer professionals are going to call me crazy when they read this :roll: )

Every hint is a good hint and I must test them. There is somewhere a bug because thousends of people have mytraffic too and no problems with it.

I don't know what else you use your systemfor but If possible just take the dedicated FSX HDD out of your RAID 1 array (since your just mirroring anyway) and reinstall everything (FSX) from scratch. Then defrag the new dedicated FSX drive.

Or get a WD Black with 32MB cache or a Velociraptor 300 if you got the scratch.

That is not a hint. It's the next step. :twisted:

best,

I use nothing else like the software-RAID of the motherboard. Well, I look if something gets better when I installed FSX on a own harddisc. I think that could be the solution know. I want to update anyway my complete hardware the next 4 month, and it's possible that knew harddiscs were assembled into the new system, too. But I want not to spent too much money for that.

Well, the good thing is that I can overclock my cpu again :) . I had a faster texture load and less blurries in the FSX before I changed the core speed :)

I will send you the link to the 52b RC as soon as it is up, before the weekend, so that could get a completely fresh FSX install with 5.2b only. Software raid is known to be the reason for regular stuttering, so may be a candidate for the process that takes the resources every 20 seconds. Where do you have your framerate delimter? With software raid, I woudn't put it as high as with an ordinary disk, so at maximum 60% of the typical frame rate that the system delivers at unlimted.

But:

" Or is it normal too to buy a car that is said to be one of the best and after buying you realise that something is damaged and nobody has an idea what it could be? It's a radical example I know but nothing better went through my mind "

Did you ever buy a Jaguar, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW - then your answer is YES. You do need a second car to be sure to come from A to B when you want...

But that is no excuse, you know we want to help you...

I'm very thankful that you and every other one helb me :)

No, I didn't bought such a car yet. It was only an example, although it's a bad one.

Well, I deacitivated RAID and have now 3 seperated harddiscs. One is reseverd only for FSX and all Add-ons. I must set up now my windows again and after that I'm going to test FSX if it's over. But it takes until tonight because I must go to work, too :) .

Software raid is known to be the reason for regular stuttering, so may be a candidate for the process that takes the resources every 20 seconds. Where do you have your framerate delimter? With software raid, I woudn't put it as high as with an ordinary disk, so at maximum 60% of the typical frame rate that the system delivers at unlimted.

I had it at unlimited and at 30, 40, even 50 but the effect was still there without any corretion. It was equal what figure I adjusted. So I hope that everything is allright now. I have the ICH9R from Intel as RAID-Controller activated.

I will send you the link to the 52b RC as soon as it is up, before the weekend, so that could get a completely fresh FSX install with 5.2b only.

Thank you very much, that would be fine. When I have the RC I will report as soon as possible if the airplanes are acting normal again and doing what they should always do: taxing and standing without any hiccups :). Or if they don't do so :(

So, here I'm again. I reinstalled FSX, MyTraffic and tested it and the result is that nothing went better. The pilots of the ai-planes still have an huge hickup so that whole aircraft is jumping (chilli-con-carne is greeting). Even DX10 doesn't help. Beside that I've got a lot of texture flickering, but that doesn't belongs in this topic know.

Well, I don't know more know. Even nhancer couldn't help.

I rember know that I tested the Wilco A400M and I don't have it anymore because my plane, the A400, jumped like the traffic of MT, too. I saw how the runway (I started to test the add-on on it) was sinking down for some milliseconds and finally everything was normal. It was the same effect like the air vehicles of MT. Don't ask me how I could forget it, it was about 5 or 6 month ago. I hope that this information is usefull for someone who had the same trouble and found a solution, perhaps I can use it for MT.

So, I've tested know MT 5.2b RC with following result. But at first, I describe my system again for everyone. The more informations are given the better is it to avoid the effect of jumping planes:

My System:

Core2Duo @ 3,6 GHz

XFX GeForce8800 GTX

Corsair 2x2048 MB RAM-DDR2 800MHz

Creative X-Fi Gamer

3 Samsung Harddisc (2x HD161HJ + 1x HD160HJ; one harddisc for Windows, one for applications and one only for FSX and Add-ons)

ASUS P5K Premium/WiFi

My nVidia control panel settings (I hope I can translate it correctly into English so that everyone could understand what I'm meaning):

I made a profile for FSX in the Control Panel wiht following configurations:

Anisotrope Filtering: 16x

Antialiasing-Gamma Corrections: On

Antialiasing-Mode: Application settings extending

Antialiasing-Transparancy: Supersampling

Antialiasing-Setting: 16xQ

Treble-Buffer: On

Error-Reports: Off

Extansion-Limitation: Off

Maxium Number of prerendert Singlepicture: 8

Multi-Display/mixed GPU-Acceleration: Single-Display-Performance-Mode

Texture-Filtering - Anisotrope Scanning/Sampling Optimization: Off

Texture-Filtering - Negative LOD-BIAS: Clamp

Texture-Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

Texture-Filtering - Quality: high Quality

Threaded-Optimization: Auto

Vertical-Synchronisation: Using settings of 3D-application

Concurrent-Texture-Clamp: Using Hardware

PhysX GPU-Acceleration: deactivated

FSX Settings:

Target FPS-Limiter: 30

Filtering: Anisotrop

Antialiasing: On

Resolution: 1920x1080x16

And now my result: No jumping airplanes anymore :) . I tested FSX, REX 2.0 and MT 5.2b RC for 3 hours at different airports.

Burkard wrote to me that also he had a long time ago jumping planes. He mentioned when you deactivate VertSync in the nVidia control panel the effect of the jumpling planes would disappear. I don't like to test it. I deactivated it before I installed MT and everything again and I won't touch that setup-bar (Is it called so?)

And I also think that the main reason for that trouble was the VertSync, but I'm not really sure about it. So, If someone is brave enough he can test it and report it here :D

My next test will be FSGlobal 2008 again. And I going to give a small note in this thread again about the result of it.

Beside that thread now: MT 5.2b is really good, the models look nicer and more detailled, especially the military ones (ok, I tested only the German ones :) ) . Everyone who uses other AI-Add-ons like TrafficX or WOAI should change to MyTraffic 5.2b . It's just a good-meaning hint :)

A couple of options you have there need changing.

Maxium Number of prerendert Singlepicture: 8

Change that to 1.

Resolution: 1920x1080x16

Change that to 32bit i.e. Resolution: 1920x1080x32

Glad you go it all sorted out, that is good news.

Change that to 1.

Why should I change them to 1? I thought it would be better when it's setted to 8

Change that to 32bit i.e. Resolution: 1920x1080x32

Isn't there a performance decrease when it's 32 bit?

FSX SP2 seems to work fine with MyTraffic 5.2b, too. That means that there aren't breakdancing planes at the airports. I suggest that everything is all right now and the reason had been, as Burkhard said, the VertSync of the nVidia Control Panel. Next test is FSGlobal 2008

FSX SP2 is a requirement to use MTX 5.1> to its full potential i.e. that's what it was designed for.

Why should I change them to 1? I thought it would be better when it's setted to 8

If my interpretation of your interpretation is correct then that setting is telling the GPU how many frames to pre-render in the frame buffer, with FSX and many other games it can actually have a negative impact on performance if you set it to more than 3, and I use 1. Anything greater than 1 is only of any use if you enable Vertical-Sync which you do not want to, as again it can cause problems and a reduction in performance.

Not on any card built in the last 5 years no.

Really good news. I 'm not sure that the change of the sync solved that problem, I read about that for another one with autogen scenery, and it may be any other reason, so just don't touch now :D It's hard to see what may have solved this, but to be fair the assumption that on a Vista system 10 installed GB still are the same after a month isn't realistic.

I don't knwo that either if VertSync was the reason, but I suppose so and hope that was the problem. Now, I want to make a short abstract about what I did to get rid of my problem:

1. Deactivation of software-controlled RAID-0

2. Because of 3 harddic, I reserved one for the operating system, one for other applications and one for FSX and all add-ons.

3. I downloaded the newest drivers for the chipset, graficcard, keyboard and mouse, and other devices.

4. Installation of Windows 7 64bit

5. Installation of all drivers in that order: 1. Chipset driver

.................................................2. Graphiccard driver

.................................................3. Driver for the Soundcard

.................................................4. Drivers for other devices

After every installation of the driver I rebootet my system, of course.

6. Installation of my applications

7. Cleaning my harddiscs with CCLEANER and WASHANDGO

8. Defragmentation with OODefrag 12 "COMPLETE-NAME-MODE"

9. Installation of FSX

10. Cleaning my harddisc with CCLEANER and WASHANDGO

11. Installation of SP1

12. Installation of MyTraffic 5.2b RC

13. Cleaning my harddisc with cleaning tools again

14. Defragmentation with my defrag tool again

15. Setted up the nvidia control panel with that settings which I wrote above.

16. Testing FSX

17. Installation of SP2

18. Cleaning and defrag again

AND NOW FSGLOBAL: Everything is working correctly :) . There are no problems with FSX SP1 and 2, MT, FSGlobal.

If someone has that same problem: Use my settings for testing and personalize them after a successfull test. If you still have that problem: do the same steps like I did.

I also changed the settings in the nvidia control panel before I had uninstalled, installed, uninstalled, installed everything thousend times without any result.

Even a registry search with the words fsx, mytraffic didn't help much.

And as Burkhard said, the installed files aren't the same after some months :)

The nVidia control panel is inferior to Nhancer: http://www.nhancer.com/ Especially for FSX.

And I too use a prerender limit of 3 with no problem. And you could turn Trilinear off.

I'm going to use that tool later because I want to fly for a while first :)

FSX SP2 is a requirement to use MTX 5.1> to its full potential i.e. that's what it was designed for.

If my interpretation of your interpretation is correct then that setting is telling the GPU how many frames to pre-render in the frame buffer, with FSX and many other games it can actually have a negative impact on performance if you set it to more than 3, and I use 1. Anything greater than 1 is only of any use if you enable Vertical-Sync which you do not want to, as again it can cause problems and a reduction in performance.

Not on any card built in the last 5 years no.

I'm going to change the settings in a few days, too. Except the 32bit colour. That's what I'm doing next :)

And the interpretation of my interpretation was correct :)

So, I want to thank everyone, especially Burkhard who allowed me to test the new version of MT :), who gave me hints and tipps and suggestions for some solutions. I don't know if the way to solve that problem was the best, but it runs now :)

A small note to Burkhard: I saw at ETSF a small and funny appearance: A transall taxied through another one on the way to the runway :) . But that doesn't matter so much because it's only for a few seconds :)

I know. We get so involved with tweaking we forget to fly. :lol:

Everybody's system has so many variables involved. But, I really don't think it was the vsync as that works fine on my setup and many others.

But really glad it's fixed. Getting your FSX on it's own dedicated HDD was a good move and will help in several areas in the future.

To clear up any misunderstanding...My rule of thumb is use nTune for color issues and Nhancer for performance & stuttering issues.

AN aircraft to taxi through another is a bug of FSX. Whenever a parking has two connections, it can be used to taxi through it and sleeping aircraft are not checked. On the other side, military parkings use to be like that, without push back - so there we are at them limits of what can be done. For anybody who designs airports, the little advice to keep away from not pushback parkings as much as possible.

Ok, I thought it's a bug of MT :roll: 8)

No, joke. I found out something interesting: when I use nHancer, the effect of jumping planes appears. A deinstallation of that doesn't help, even the deinstallation of the graphic card drivers and the graphic card itselfs in the hardware manager of windows doesn't work... The possibility of jumping airplanes increases on my system when I install FSX SP2. I had to reinstall my whole system a few days ago again because I used nHancer and installed SP2 . I don't know what of those two sources make trouble, but if I use only the nvidia control panel with the settings I wrote and install only SP1, FSX works fine.

I don't know whats going on. So, my best result to avoid the "effect" is to use the standard driver setting tool, the nvidia control panel. But at least. It only has to work correct :D