The simFlight Network Forums
sunsetlounge

Jumping Airplanes on Airports

I'm working on computing professionally since 1984, and in these short 25 years never came around a tool that gives free improvements and does not bring a draw back, and in 99% of the cases the draw backs are bigger than the profits. So I love to use the most simple of all existing solutions - every intelligence tends to create a life of its own.

In this case it may mean little timing effects, get off sychronization, whatever. Fine this is solved.

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I must continue this thread, but I have the thing with the jumping planes again and I read a lot of that since I saw this effect again. My graphiccard is a nVidia 8800 GTX with 768 MB Ram and I found out that a lot of other people who have the same problem have also installed a 8800GTX 768 MB into their system. If someone else has got the same problem with the same card, especially with SP2 or Acceleration Pack, it would be very helpfull and great when it's posted here.

The other people who are flying well have other cards, for example from ATI or the 200-series of nVidia and don't have any problems with it.

I used a GF 8800 GT with 320 MB until today, had had such jump in AI traffic view, not normal view, and they vanished... From today on I have an ATI 5770 . ( My old computer got unstable, it had worked enough, looks like I'm harder ).

Well, I like to buy some new devices for my computer (RAM, Motherboard, CPU, Graphiccard) and I looked forward to buy a ATI or a newer nVidia, singlecore. I think I've got some problems with my hardware that something isn't calculated correctly. So the main thing would be to buy hardware which works fine and where I don't get any jumping planes for sure.

The next thing is what I found out that SP2 or acceleration pack is like a catalyst to the effect of the jumping plane. If I only use SP1, I need good luck that all settings in the nVidia control panel are correctly to prevent that anti-christ.

A lot of people have no problems with SP2 or the acdeleration pack, but as I said, other have the same problem like I have and running their system with the 8800 gtx like me. And also using myTraffic.

So I suppose that there is some trouble with the graficcard and displaying the AI correctly after installing SP2 (perhaps that something with the DX of FSX got wrong during installation?).

The best thing is for me to use only SP1, but it's much better if someone will find a solution for it. A lot of people could be helped.

I hade to get a new computer, after two years of development my old just went to a stike.

My new system is an Intel i7-860, 8 GB of RAM, and an ATI 5770 card. I will tell you my experience with this after the weekend, and look carefully for jumpers ;-) .

You never touched a file called exe.xml ?

ok, that would be great. I read that a lot of people with an i7 920 and ATI 4870/geforce 260 and above are very satisfied with the performance and reported that they don't have the funny acting planes. I want to go down into the main stream :)

Yes, the exe.xml is beeing touched by an addon (Rex. 20 and the Service Packs) but I was so intelligent to make a backup of all files which have been modified by that add-on. I moved the orginial files back to their folders and put FSX back to the default, but nothing has been changed in displaying the planes correctly. Even a complete new installation of FSX, SP1 and SP2 doesn't work. If I only install FSX and SP1, I don't have so much problems and with a lot of luck to make some flights without that negative effect.

So, I have SP1 and FSX, MyTraffic, EditVoicePack 4.0 and REX 2.0 and can make a flight for 3 or 4 hours until the planes want to take-off without runway and acceleration, just like a helicopter :D ( I like to have that stuff that the pilots of the AI are smoking)

Maybe they are so happy to fly for you that they just can't stand still :lol: This exe.xml looks like a little box until you read from whom it comes: Pandorra .

Since I just made a fresh installation of FSX: FSX contains NO file exe.xml. So just remove this file for a moment by moving it somewhere else. Still jumpers?

I must reinstall FSX if you say that you removed the file after a fresh installation. I want to do every change with a new installed FSX to exclude trouble; I want to use the original files and no modified ones by some add-ons like REX, FSGLOBAL and so one.

The exe.xml file is in the folder C:\User\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ ? (I use Windows 7 64bit)

By the way: in the same Roaming folder I found a folder that called MyTraffic... And that includes nothing, even when MyTraffic is installed. Must this folder exists there or could it cause the problem with the jumping planes?

This folder will still exist from an earlier version when MyTrafficBoard put its setting there.

FSX does not contain a file exe.xml, addons put them there AND THIS FILE REMAINS EVEN IF YOU UNINSTALL FSX!!!

Just move it to another folder for the moment, some addons you have installed will not work no matter, but the result would be interesting to see.

Background is that another user had another strange effect - reload of AI traffic every 20 seconds, and got rid of it by removing exe.xml that only referred to unused stuff in his case.

Ok, I've got the same result if the exe.xml is gone. The best result is when I only use FSX and SP1. I don't know why everything is so damageable with SP2. I still believe that my hardware is causing the problem, but I don't know how it does.

I have had time to look at AI traffic on my new system now, and fortunately no jumps. I have had these in the final days of 5.2a design, and now I remember that in this time I also did tests of UT2 beta and had to create an exe.xml for this. Shortly after all was broken all of a sudden, and I had to reinstall and didn't install UT2 so never had an exe.xml again...

FSX is an extremely open architecture, and as soon as you have either any exe.xml or in dll.xml anything but the SDK entries you strictly speaking no longer have FSX, but an application you put together yourself that contains FSX. The only module I know to be perfect is FSUIPC - basically since it observes what is in FSX mostly and does not try to improve anything.

Background is that another user had another strange effect - reload of AI traffic every 20 seconds, and got rid of it by removing exe.xml that only referred to unused stuff in his case.

Time synchronization is one of the culprits that cause reloading of the AI. FSUIPC can cause this (if set) along with other third party software.

Mike

FSX is an extremely open architecture, and as soon as you have either any exe.xml or in dll.xml anything but the SDK entries you strictly speaking no longer have FSX...

I've got the dll.xml in the FSX folder under Roaming\... . When I understand it correctly you mean that this file is an error source?

Things are far more complicated :lol:

When you have a file called dll.xml, that contains more than the three entries that FSX SDK installations creates, or a file exe.xml, you strictly speaking no longer have FSX, but an application put together by you that contains FSX as one of its components. When it comes to problems of any kind, one of the things one can do is to remove the two files completely and put them out of that folder, if this solves the problem one can identify that an external exe or dll is generating it. If it does, like in that other case, one maybe has just a setting in that module or application that needs to be changed.

Ok, I understand it. And I removed the dll.xml from the FSX folder away and tested FSX. Nothing happens or got better. I still think that is a hardware problem like a wrong calculated or rendered picture/byte or something else like that.

But what I found out know and didn't see it before that there are only a few airplane types which are jumping, not all of them. The test airport are ETSL, ETSF, EDDM, ETNN. Mostly the smaller airplanes are jumping like the CRJ700, BAE 146, PA200, UH-1B, but no EF2000, Ch53, C160 or C130. From the bigger planes there are the B767, B737, B757, Il-96 (when I indentified it correct) and another Antonov which are standing sometimes at ETSL. A B747, A340, A320 and so one are fine. The indication if MyTraffic runs well is when the PA200 are standing still and taxi without any bugs. If they are ok, the other planes are it, too. Sometimes, but very very very very very seldom, I don't have any problems, and I can see it on the PA200 during my flights around those airports.

I hope this information helps more.

To be honest, no idea of this. All the aircraft had been recompiled after FSX SP2 came out, so for 5.1b, so all aircraft are compiled using the same compiler and tools. If you enable the stock traffic, do the A321 stand still and the B738 jump?

I tested with the stock planes and they aren't jumping like the other. I suppose really that I've got a bad graphiccard. It seems that there is no solution for that. And I tested to different installations of FSX, that means I used two different version (English/German) and different setup-DVDs . Since I have this computer (I bought for 2 years a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, harddiscs) with the 8800 GTX, I have that problem, so the only device since the first day is the xfx Nvidia 8800 GTX.

And some other people with the similiar hardware have got the same problem like I have, too.

On youtube, myvideo, clipfish and so on all videos of FSX and Mytraffic are normal, I can't see any jumping planes and the description of the hardware says that they are all using different cards except my one. I didn't find any video with MyTraffic, FSX and the 8800 GTX yet. It's only a theory, but I don't have any other declaration for that now.

I had the 8800 GTS. If the stock A21 and the stock B738 don't jump, and the MT A321 doesn't and the B738 does then there is no explanation from this world. Once you can borrow another video card, even a slower one, it would be intereresting to know if the problem goes by miracle.

That is why I'm getting crazy with that. I can't explain it to me, too. I read something about some contact points in the aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg, but you said that your traffic uses some parameters of the stock airplanes of FSX. I think it's the graphiccard, because I tested it now with nhancer again and I saw something crazy: My display consited only with black and red pixel and some white squares which are changing their form... Could it be a driver problem between nHancer and the nVidia's one?

I would never install something called nhancer, it is my experience that all such tools make problems thousand times as big as their tiny merits. You should definitvely install the operation new to get rid of the distructions such malware makes...

Yes, I install everything again new for the last time now (Drivers, FSX, FSX SP1 and MyTraffic). If nothing gets better, I will give it up and wait for some new computer hardwares which I will buy after christmas... And will make a last report here...

I'm afraid you have something far beyond drivers on your OS. Whenever I have a problem on a computer that can neither be ignored nor understood with 24 hours, I format the disk and install the OS and all applications I really need from scratch. That is something I know needs one day.

I've managed to switch the MyTraffic development from XP to W7 64bit mostly now, took three days. A few applications I need don't work under W7 or under 64bit, so I installed Sun Virtual Box and my XP into that, all that I missed until now works well. The virtual box has at least some grafic hardware acceleration support now, which is enough for the 3D design tools I have that have to work under XP.

I have jumping airplanes and airportvehicles in every airport!

Calling nHancer for malware is way off, dont you think?

My suspision is that Traffic X is actually "too heavy" for syme systems..

Going back to Just Flight me think...