The simFlight Network Forums
sunsetlounge

Jumping Airplanes on Airports

Just googled for NHancer and selected nHancer and FSX with 43000 hits, read the first few and they all report FSX with nHancer to be unplayable, with regular stocking / pauses which in this case delays the terrain calculation, so Google suggests nHancer to be incompatible with FSX.

And going back to JF Traffic will not help you if you think this is a result of pushing your system too far, MTX is THE BEST when it comes to performance optimisation, it cannot be beaten, FACT.

Well, well, well gentlemen, I just did that, went back to my ol' Traffic X CD, and guess waht?

No more bouncing of cars, trucks, buildings, aircrafts etc.!

Suggesting that nhancer is incompatible with FSX because Google says so is way off... Is Google some kind of Sim-Expert? :lol:

The ppl with problems about nHancer need to read this: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB959973/0#0

Scroll down a bit on this must have FSX advise and u will find the nHancer set-up. Read and use the other parts too of course!

And we as support team have to check if the each user has followed the instructions on these about 50 screens of text written dense with tiny characters, and followed all the ifs and whens in there?

If you use any other software but the OS (XP SP2, XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP1, Vista SP2, W7, each of them 32 and 64 bit), FSX( RTM, SP1, SP2, Acceleration), ATI or NVidia with actual drivers and MyTraffic X actual version, you use another combination than one of the 96 supportable configurations, and do it on your own risk. FSX requires to have all grafics control set by the application, if not you do it on your own risk. The results may be good, and they may be bad, or you may pay for good things with unwanted side effects, we cannot help as simple as that.

I have read this thread with great interest as I do too have the jumping airplanes!

Here are my computer specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q

CPU: Intel Duo 6800

Memory 4 GB Corsair

Graphic card: nVidia 9800GTX+

Monitor: Samsung T260

I am using FSX with SP2 (and SDK for SP2)

I also have:

MyTraffic 5.2b

Ultimate Terrain USA

Ground Enhancement USA

SerialSP2 (M Panel)

FSUIPC 4.53

I basically see the "jumping" ("hoping") airplanes as described here. I see it from my cockpit, the external view of my aircraft, and from the AI view. I see it even on aircrafts that are in "sleep" mode. And, to top it all, I see it on baggage carts when I am parked at a gate! The frequency of the "jumps" is anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 seconds. When it happens on an aircraft that is taxiing I see the smoke/dust effect. I have observed this at several different airports.

I have tried pretty much everything mentioned in this thread (except for reinstalling FSX), with no success. This is driving me crazy!

So I wanted to post this message mainly to testify that this problem is also affecting other users. I do use an nVidia card, but it is a different model, and I have a hard time seeing how the graphic card could lead FSX to generate the smoke effect when the planes do their little dance.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Greetings thierryd!

I'm glad that I'm not alone anymore. Since my last post here I tried a lot of different things, and at the moment I'm playing a bit in the cfg.-file of FSX and change some settings.

Are they only a few aircraft types which are jumping or every airplane which you can see?

In my case I test it at ETSL and ETSF. For example the PA200 is an indicator for me that everything runs well or not.

Yes, you are not alone.

I haven't looked too much into what aircraft does it or not. I would guess that roughly 30% to 50% of the commercial aircrafts exhibit this behavior. I will see what I get for the 2 airports you mentioned and the PA200.

I know I have seen the same behavior with some military planes (jet fighters and big carriers). I have not paid attention to GA planes for now. The easiest way for me to spot the problem is actually with the baggage carts as they are small and proportionally seems to jump quite high...

I will keep posting my new findings on this thread.

Keep the blue side up!

You have confirmed then that this is not anything directly to do with MTX in your particular case as MTX has nothing to do with baggage carts and such, in your case it is caused by the terrain mesh loading slowly, the mesh consists of many different resolution wire-frames, the further you are away from a particular place in space the lower the quality (res) the mesh will be. If you suddenly move your view point more than 100 metres or so you will find that the mesh takes a few seconds (depends on system load) to load to its highest quality and it does this in stages, gradually loading higher and higher quality meshes. As each of these different meshes load the height of the ground at the aircraft or vehicle in question changes slightly either up or down and this causes the vehicle to hop momentarily, this causes FSX to send a tyre smoke effect as the wheels hit the ground because it thinks that the aircraft has just landed, the smoke effect is more noticeable with large or fast jets as they would produce more smoke anyway.

To try to tame the problem lower the setting sliders in FSX to reduce the amount of work FSX is trying to do, you could also try locking the frame rate to something low like 20 and see if that helps to stop it.

Yes, Andy, I share this view. If I go to an AI aircraft view as example, I see jumping exactly due to this until the scenery is fully built up, mesh and texture are fully loaded to the maximum detail. If I have the framerate delimiter at the recommended value of 2/3 of the possible frame rate, this solves in less than half a minute, 2 to 3 jumps, and all is quiet. If I have it above, this takes longer, but gets quiet after a while.

It looks like there is something that enforces these refreshes regularily with some users. Enhancer seems to have been shown to be one candidate for such scenery resets, another user has observered that an exe.xml file if present forces FSX to reload every 30? seconds.

You are right that MyTraffic is not the reason, it is much more visible with MyTraffic though and therefore we try to identify what to do - we want happy campers and no users who only hear it not our fault :D

I reduced the MESH-resolution to 38 m (the setting for ultrahigh) and must they that works fine. I flew very often between EDDM, ETSL, ETSF and didn't see any jumping planes. The crusing speed was alway different, sometimes with mach 1,2 and sometimes with 60 knots. But I will test it for some hours at once when I have the time to see if the planes will jump.

To the jumping airport vehicles: I didn't have any one, they were all normal. But that is equal, I deacitvated them anyway to safe some performance :) .

If I had some airport vehicles with hydraulics for brakedance, I also would say that FSX is the reason, so I always thought that MyTraffic is the problem.

Today I try to make the "hours flight" between those aiports and will write the result here again

So, I changed the MESH resolution to 10 metres. And I can say after hours of flight I have no jumping planes anymore. But if I go higher with that, I'll get everything again. But I didn't see the same effect with the aiport vehicles like those baggage cars or anything else. Only the planes jumped through the airport area. But that is equal, I think it's over now but I still watch for unnormal happenings during the game.

Thank you for the great hint, andydigital.

These settings only make sense with extreme addons - FSX has no ground texture below 1 m resolution, and no mesh below 19m resolution.

Fine this has solved.