The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 and Fatal Error Message

... i think we should draw a line under tihs and call it a day. I recommend you either forget FSUIPC and hope you never need it and that nothing else is badly affected, or do a complete uninstall, delete all three WinSXS SimConnect folders, and start again from scratch. It's probably going to come to that in any case.

It occurs to me that there's actually one last EASY thing for you to try first. Remove all of the .WX type files from your "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder. In case you might want them (and removing them does not help), put them someplace else for now.

This is just in case of the possibility that the crash is due to a corrupted Weather file. That might not matter to most programs, but in order to supply weather information to client applications, FSUIPC asks SimConnect for the weather at regular intervals, soon after you press the Fly Now button. It is one of the few things it will be always doing even in an unregistered installation. Though FSUIPC does check all the data it gets from SimConnect (the latter supplies weather data in a METAR report style), it seems SimConnect expects the binary data in the WX files to be properly consistent, and would crash in its efforts to formulate the METAR string if there's even a minor corruption.

The SimConnect log might show us this if you could actually get one, but if not, try removing the .WX type files.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I think I have finally created the Simconnect.ini file. BTW, it is not that I do not read your instructions, it is that in regard to making changes and files, I am just not very bright. Be that as it may, here is a copy of the file I created and placed in My documents\flight simulator x file.

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

I ran FSX, ran FSUIPC4, clicked on "Fly now", the flight loaded, and the program froze. When I got everyting up and running on my computer again,however, I did not have a Simconnect log in my FSX modules folder. I Think what I will do now, is delete the original Simconnect file in Windows, and run the FSX repair. Oh, I did remove(but saved) the .wx files as you suggested. Any additional ideas before I do the repair? Bob K.

... here is a copy of the file I created and placed in My documents\flight simulator x file.

There's an error. You have the path wrong:

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

See the space in front of "Microsoft"? That is wrong, it shouldn't be there!

I ran FSX, ran FSUIPC4

When you say "ran FSUIPC4", what exactly do you mean? You never "run FSUIPC4" -- when installed it becomes part of FSX and is running as soon as FSX is running, like the rest of FSX.

Regards

Pete

Pete, Thanks for the continued help. I will correct the file and try again. In regard to your question about what do I mean that I run FSUIPC4, this is what I wrote on October 25 about that:

"Also, the reason I am asked if I want to run FSUIPC4 is when originally I was unable to get anything to work,FSUIPC4 loaded or not, I was advised at another forum to delete my FSX.CFG files, re-start FSX and let the program rebuild. When I did that and startd FSX I was then asked if I wanted to run FSUIPC4. When I selected not to, at least I was able to run FSX. So, now I only run FSUIPC4 when given a choice to do so permanantly or for that time only, I chose for that time only. That,therefore, lets me fly again upon another re-start after the game freezes. I am happy I have that choice,at least."

I'll forward a copy of my Simconnect log as soon as I do it right. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Here is my new and improved SimConnect.ini file:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

But, I still do not have a SimConnect log in my FSX modules folder. Now what am I doing wrong? Bob K.

Pete, Thanks for the continued help. I will correct the file and try again. In regard to your question about what do I mean that I run FSUIPC4, this is what I wrote on October 25 about that

Ah, so you mean "allowed FS to load FSUIPC4" rather than actually trying to run it!

UPDATE: Here is my new and improved SimConnect.ini file:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

But, I still do not have a SimConnect log in my FSX modules folder. Now what am I doing wrong?

Sorry, I've no idea. The only possibility I can think of is that SimConnect is not even reaching the point where it opens the log before FSX crashes. But that cannot be, either, because you said it doesn't crash till after you press "Fly Now", and certainly FSUIPC4 is loaded, connects to SimConnect, and commences logging as you've shown, all before the crash. The SimConnect log would start long before that as it explicitly shows FSUIPC4 and any other add-in modules and external programs being loaded, as well!

So, I have no answers for no SimConnect log being produced. Either you saved the SimConnect.INI in the wrong place, or with the wrong filename, both of which seem hard to believe, or your FSX installation is really screwed up much more badly than we thought.

Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Yes, ulf, I did save the file in the correct location. I am thinking that since I may be purchasing a new computer in the not too distant future, I may leave everything as it is, and load FSX without FSUIPC4 for now. Flying without FSUIPC, does not seem to be causing any problem that I can notice. Bob K.

Thanks again Pete for your time and efforts to be of help. As far as I can tell, my SimConnect.INI file is now correct and it is placed in: My Documents\Flight Simulator x folder. As I just wrote ulf, since I may be purchasing a new computer in the not too distant future,hopefully, I might just leave everything alone for now. I have not noticed any difference or problem when I fly without FSUIPC4. I do appreciate all of your responses and attempts to help. Sorry I was such a dufus at times.

Bob K.