The simFlight Network Forums

Fresh install of Windows 7 questions

gets

I am going to do a fresh install of Windows 7 retail version. When I get read to install MTX, what are the procedures I have to do? Do I download the latest version, or do I install the 5.2 and then upgrade it to 5.2a? Will all the changes made since 5.2 be included in my new install?

Thanks.

Bob G.

It's the same with one tiny difference:

When you add the scenery, you select MyTraffic folder and click add - it will open and you click onece into it and it will close and be added.

Despite that, I recommend that during installation you pull the slider for User Access control all down and put it back afterwards, and I strongly recommend so for any installation and any system management work...

I also strongly recommend you do not install FSX in the default program files folder either, Burhard and I differ on this subject, I am of the camp that thinks its better to put it somewhere like C:\FSX or better still on another drive completely to the OS if you can. If you have a nice fast SSD then there is no need to keep FSX separate from the OS drive, that's the way I have it now but still do not install to the default program files folder, you will then have no problems with third party apps that have not been written with Vista or Windows 7 security features taken into account.

When you come to install a new scenery area you will think it has failed in Windows 7 because the page fails to refresh properly when you get to the final step of adding a new scenery area, all you have to do is click in the window pane where the folder structure is shown, miraculously the screen will now refresh properly and you will be back at the scenery library list front page with all the different scenery areas listed.

It's got something to do with the way W7 is handling old software that wasn't designed to work with Aero. You will have no doubt noticed when you first start FSX in Vista and W7 the screen flashes black and then Windows Aero is switched off and you loose the glass frame effect around windows and apps etc. For some reason W7 doesn't handle screen drawing and Z ordering very well when Aero is disabled, it's a bit of a pain but its no show stopper.

I notice if I have FSX in windowed mode and use Firefox or some other program over the top of FSX many weird things happen from time to time, like when you open a drop down menu then select an option, the menu bar will disappear but its fancy drop shadow will sometimes remain, minimising and the restoring the window of the program in question will remove the anomaly, although this could just be a driver issue, where as the scenery library anomaly seems more likely to be an AERO problem. If I keep FSX minimised I never see the drop shadow anomaly at all.

With Firefox I always get extremely strange mouse behaviour, to act at location far from where I click, etc...

Definitively it is a good idea to minimize FSX when you have other windows on the same screen, I always tend to do so, it saves a lot of electricity even if it proceeds to simulate, since the GPU doesn't bake its pixel cake.