The simFlight Network Forums
Tregarth

Can't find databases.

I have installed FSC and FSX onto a new Widows 7 machine along with FSUIPC4. I have eventually worked out how to network this to an XP machine on which I have also installed FSC and Wideclient as a separate folder in FSC (Prog Files\Aerosoft\FSC\Wideclient).

The 2 machines talk to each other and I can see what is on each other's hard drive.

FSC (upgraded to 8.5) runs OK on FSX. But when I try to start FSC on the XP machine as per page 10 of the manual all I see is "Databases for FS2004 missing.....Run database manager first" I have done as requested but I still can't run it.

What do I need to do to make FSC on the XP machine see FSX?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Hi Tregarth,

In addition to Volker's suggestion, I noted a few anomalies in your post that, if not corrected, will prevent FSC and Wideclient to work as they should even if you meticulously follow the instructions contained in the Appendix to the User Manual (Appendix Network).

First and unless it is different for FSX, Wideclient is not to be installed inside the FSC directory. See your first sentence which confirms that you have done so. Rather, Wideclient, at least under an FS9 scenario, should be installed, in your case on the XP machine, simply under the C directory (example, C:\WideFS\WideClient.exe). Second, in a networked configuration, you do not need FSC on the rig which runs FS9 or FSX. You can have a copy on that machine but do not run it. Re-read the WideClient documentation concerning its installation. Incidentally, WideClient is powerful. In addition to its other features, it can if you wish start all programs on your second rig (your XP which talks to your Win7 rig which runs FSX) that should communicate with FS running on the main machine. Here's an example of my WideFS configuration file (WideClient Configuration Settings):

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=32000,32000,160,34

Visible=yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

run1=C:\showtext 1.10\showtext.exe

run2=C:\Program Files\FSC\FSC85.exe

run3=C:\Program Files\rcv4\rcv4.exe

run4=C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Jacques\Desktop\Run MyFsTools.bat

run5=C:\Program Files\FSChatter Live\FSCLive.exe

//run6=C:\ActiveSkyV6\Modules\ASv6\ASv6.exe

; ===============================================

Under the 'User' section, I've listed (in the format required) all programs that I want WideClient to start on the second machine and communicate with FS (FS9 in my case). In the case of ActiveSky, I've temporarily disabled it by inserting a double slash '//' which prevents it from running. If I decide that I want WideClient to start ActiveSky to run every time I run FS, then I only need to remove the '//', and save the file.

Back to the Appendix to the User Manual. I can't stress enough the need to carefully follow the instructions and because you’re running FSX, paying particular attention to the following statement contained in the User Manual:

" . . . In order to maintain the possibility of using FlightSim Commander in a network with FS X, . . . the file scenery.cfg must be copied from the Scenery Library folder C:\….Microsoft\FSX\ into the directory in which FSX has been installed. Since we do not want to overwrite anything in the FSX folder, we copy the file scenery.cfg (the one in the Scenery Library folder) renamed as scenerycfg.fsc into the FSX folder. . . . "

The re-naming of a copy of FSX's scenery configuration file is of critical importance. For the full context around this particular step, please see the chapter in the User Manual entitled Database Manager, Updating airport files.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques

Dear Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for your help; I would like to respectfully like to point out that I bought FSC to increase my pleasure in flying FSX, not to spend my time becoming a computer programmer. I accept that some work is necessary but when I ask for help I hope for a more supportive reply.

Point 1. I have printed off the section "Appendix network" and have annotated it since it was written for XP and has not been updated to Vista or Win 7. On page 106 there is only one reference to a "Secondary Computer" but after that all that is referred to is the "Primary Computer" which becomes very confusing.

On my XP (Secondary Computer) I have 2 drives

C:\Flight Sim X Files on "Main(Main)"(X:) which contains my saved flights.

I also have

C:\Microsoft Flight Sim X Files on "Main(Main)"(Y:) which contains the FSX program.

Can you please tell me what I should do (politely) with these 2 drives?

I appreciate your warnings about the scenery.cfg file, I am using Win 7 and it seems to be having trouble finding it. I have manually found it in C:\Prog Files\MS Games\MS FSX\ , is this the one you are referring to? Once I have renamed it to scenerycfg.fsc do I save it in the same FSX folder as the original scenery.cfg file?

I apologise for these pedantic questions but I don't have any understanding of what I am doing and live in dread of changing something and finishing up with a dead PC.

I have also changed the location of WideClient.exe as you recommend to C:\WideFs\WideClient.exe

Thank you for your help which is much appreciated.

Tregarth

Dear Tregarth,

I’m perplexed. I fail to find that part of my contribution to helping you solve the issue you face that can be interpreted as ‘non supportive’ and lack ‘politeness’. Flight simulation has for many years been a passion of mine and sharing knowledge and experience is part and parcel of my hobby. As can be witnessed on the right side of my post, I’ve participated by asking questions, making recommendations and helping others solve various issues on 88 separate occasions and in each case, making that additional effort to ensure that the text of my posts provide context where required, use correct and non offensive language and that the text is free of spelling and grammar errors. I’m therefore going to leave it to others to risk providing you with the information you’re seeking.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

Dear Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for your reply, I meant no offence to you and hope you will accept my apology.

I have been wrestling with setting up a network for FSC for the past month and am frustrated that I have been told to re-read a section of the instructions which makes no sense to me. I am still convinced that there is an error on page 107 of the manual which, to me, makes what has been written nonsensical.

I would appreciate it if you would kindly explain and answer the questions which I have posed. As I have already said, I have no understanding of what I am doing so I would appreciate your help in trying to understand statements such as

"Drive C:\ of the Primary Computer as Z:[\\PrimaryComputer\©]"

I would be grateful for your help, then I will be able to enjoy the hobby that we both share.

Thank you,

Tregarth.

Dear Jean-Jacques,

I have been trying to understand your reference to "politeness" in your last reply. After a number of hours' thought I realise you were responding to my sentence "tell me (politely) what to do".

This was my attempt at a joke which I now realise has been seriously misconstrued. I meant no reflection on your English in any way and hope you will accept it was my attempt at humour which was wrong.

Sorry.

Incidentally, this post has now been viewed 58 timeswhich to me indicates it is a topic which is of interest to a large number of people. So I am sure your reply will be helpful to many others who would also like to network 2 PC's so they can run FSC on a separate monitor with Flight Sim.

I would appreciate your reply.

Best Regards,

Tregarth

Hi Tregarth,

If an apology is in order, then I accept yours. However, you may be right; I probably misinterpreted your intent and over-reacted. Thank you for your two last posts. They are appreciated. Let’s get down to business, our hobby!

First and foremost, please understand that my experience is with FS9 and Windows XP (Home Edition and Professional Edition). You’re using FSX with Window 7 and XP and my knowledge of Windows 7 and FSX is mostly theoretical. In theory though, I don’t believe the differences are difficult to interpret but, for example, the renaming of FSX’s scenery configuration file is a special twist and the structure of Windows 7 directories does differ slightly. Therefore, I believe some ‘interpretation or translation’ is required when it comes to file structures in Windows 7.

Lets establish that the Primary computer is your Windows 7 computer which runs FSX (including the latest version FSUIPC for FSX) and that the Secondary computer is your XP computer which will run WideFS and FligthSim Commander (FSC) and that both these programs are installed on the XP computer (not running yet but installed).

You have confirmed in your first post that both computers can ‘talk’ to each other. For this flightsim scenario, two directories on your Windows 7 computer should be setup as ‘shared’ directories which can be accessed from your XP computer: The main FSX directory and the My Documents directory, ensuring that in both cases the ‘Share this folder on the network’ box and the ‘Allow network users to change my files’ box have been selected under the ‘Network sharing and security’ portion of the Sharing tab. To test this, on your XP computer select Start then My Network Places. The window which pops up should at least contain those two directories and when a given directory is double-clicked, all subdirectories and files should be listed. If that is true, then proceed.

On the XP computer, select Start then My Network Places. Select (but don’t open) the FSX directory which resides on your Windows 7 computer (I’m unsure about the name the system uses). Then under the Tools menu at the top of the window, select Map Network Drive. The resulting window will have chosen drive Z: . The next step is to click the browse button and select the directory in question, making sure that the Reconnect at logon box is selected and then click finish.

To verify that the drive has been mapped, on the Desktop of the XP computer, select Start then select My Computer. Under Network Drives, the newly created ‘network drive’ should be listed.

If everything worked out OK, then do the same for the My Documents directory. This time around, the system will name the network drive as Y: (Windows selects network drive letters automatically using the alphabeth in reverse order so as not to interfere, I suppose, with existing drives such as A, C and D).

Again if everything worked out OK, then on your Windows 7 computer, make a copy of FSX’s configuration file, rename this copy as scenerycfg.fsc and place it in the main FSX folder. For additional information (an again because I don’t yet use FSX), consult the chapter in the User Manual entitled Database Manager — Updating airport files — Updating airports for FSX in a network.

You might be interested to know that there’s a simpler way to copy the configuration file. The authors of FSC have automated the copying of FSX’s scenery configuration file. Have a look at the last part of the chapter mentioned above which discusses the tool they’ve devised entitled Scenery Library Network Tool. I can’t comment on its use because as mentioned earlier, I don’t yet use FSX — but I will soon when a brand new rig I just ordered arrives hopefully in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

If everything worked OK and before you test your new setup, you should be able to start FSC’s Database Manager on your XP computer and it should be able to access the information it needs from your Windows 7 computer to build its database.

If you run in to difficulty, let me and others know what the issue is including any errors you receive and I’m reasonably sure that I or someone else can help.

Finally, let me share with you an issue I encountered in the past with my network setup. Whenever I started both computers at the same time, I would occasionally get a message on my Secondary computer that the system was unable to reconnect the network drives. Through trial and error, I found that the error was caused because the Secondary computer was trying to reconnect the network drives before the Primary computer was fully operational. The simple answer to this problem was to start the Secondary computer only after the Primary computer was ready.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

Dear Jean-Jacques,

I appreciate the time you have put into this reply. I have follwed your instructions and attach a .JPG of my XP My Computer Window.

In it you will see the 2 Network Drives - the X-Drive is labelled Flight Sim X Files on 'Main(Main)'(X:) This contains my saved flights and is completely open so the XP machine is reading Win7.

I also have the Y drive labelled as Microsoft Flight Sim X on 'Main(Main)'(Y:) This is my FSX program on my Win 7 machine which is also totally readable on the XP machine

When I go to my XP machine and click on the FSC shortcut I see "DB for FS2004 missing or incomplete. Please choose differenct FS version or run DB Manager first". If I go to Start / All Programs / aerosoft / FSC 8 / FSC8 DB Manager I see exactly the same message as above.

Thus the question is, I think, how do I make FSC on my XP machine link to FSX?

I would appreciate your thoughts, you will be able to use them on your next rig.

Thank you,

Tregarth

Tregarth

post-35845-128689703003_thumb.jpg

Hi Tregarth,

Here's an extract of the manual Loading databases for FS2004 or FSX:

"Since FlightSim Commander can be used both for Flight Simulator X and FS 2004 and both versions may have different sceneries and thus require different databases, you need to decide at program start whether the databases for FS X or FS 2004 are to be loaded. By default this choice needs to be made in the Options Window on the Display card. A change in value, however, requires that the program be terminated and restarted so that the proper databases can be loaded.

In particular, if you frequently switch between the two versions of Flight Simulator, this procedure may turn out to be relatively cumbersome. Therefore you also have the option to decide between versions by a parameter call. If you start the program with fsc8x.exe 0, the databases for FS 2004 will be loaded. If you start the program with fsc8x.exe 1, the databases for FS X will be loaded. These parameters override whatever has been chosen in the Options Window. If you start the program without any parameter, i.e. simply fsc8x.exe, the value set in the Option Window will determine which databases are loaded. Users who frequently switch between FS 2004 and FS X may want to place two icons on their desktop, each with a different parameter. If the icons are properly labelled, then each icon may easily be used to load the desired databases."

So the Display card under the Options menu is where the user tells FSC which version of FS is to be used (FSC Menu structure: Window, Options, Display).

Before I go, I find it strange that the drive letters of the network drives don't match those in my response which is faithfull to the contents of the manual. However, it may work and if it doesn't, then I suspect that you'll have to disconnect these drives and redo the mapping - and disconnecting the drives is simple: On your XP computer select Start, My Computer, select the network drive to be disconnected and using the Tools menu, select Disconnect Network Drive. However, before going any further, I think you should try telling FSC that you are working with FSX and see what happens.

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

Dear Jean-Jacques,

You are better at reading the manual than me.

I have followed what you have reported but I think it only applies to a single PC. I have started FSC on my Win7 PC; looked at Display - it has always been set to FSX so I don't think this is the answer. It seems to me that the FSC on the XP machine is "upstream" of the Win 7 / FSX machine so changes on FSX have no effect.

Somehow there has to be a way to set the XP machine so it can find FSC.

Tregarth

Tregarth,

On the XP computer, the secondary computer where FSC resides, have you tried running the Database Manager and if so, did it build the FSX database? If not, you need to fix that issue first. And if it didn't, then the reason is that the database mgr didn't find the info its requires, i.e., the copy of the scenery configuration file which resides in the main FSX directory on the Windows 7 computer, probably because there's something wrong with the mapped network drives. I firmly believe that that's the first step. If you can get that sorted out, then you can proceed to the next step. When I first started tinkering with a networked configuration, I spent quite a bit of time figuring how things worked but eventually I figured it out and the result was very satisfying. The other thing that crossed my mind is whether there's something different when using Windows 7 but on the other hand, I've read several posts in different forums which confirmed that those folks who have converted to the new Windows system could run FS9, FSX and a host of other products without any issue. So I've discarded for the time being that Windows 7 is a potential issue.

Jean-Jacques

Dear Jean-Jacques,

I agree with you. It is clear that the XP machine cannot find the database on the Win 7 machine. Everything I try gives the same old message "Database for FS2004..."

I tried your suggestionof putting the FSX "Scenery.CFG" file in the XP machine C:\ProgF\Aerosoft\FSC - NO improvement, back to "Database.." I then tried putting FSX's Scenery.CFG into C:\ProgF\Aerosoft\FSC\Database with the same result - Nada.

So we are back to the old question "How to make FSC in XP start up and see the database in FSX?"

What I find hard to understand is how Herr Heine can make only 1 contribution, "Re-read the manual" which is not very constructive. Perhaps solving customers' problems is beyond his competence?

I would like to thank you for your help; it is much better than that offered by the people who are meant to be helpful.

Best Regards,

Tregarth.

Hello, Tregarth,

don´t worry we will help you, take it easy. Please put a screenshot from Databasemanager it will help me to find what is wrong.

Regards Eric

Hello again Tregarth,

Thanks for your note. I enjoy sharing knowledge and experience with the hope that an explanation coming from a different perspective or articulated another way does make a difference at times which, when a particular issue is resolved, is satisfying.

It sounds as if you’ve given up! I’d like to suggest that you don’t because when you get the setup humming, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t attempted to do it earlier! Having FSC continually displayed on a separate monitor is pure gold. So give it another try and based on my experience, persistence and patience are required virtues!

And if you do, here’s my feedback on your last post.

In you’re first sentence, you’re saying that “it is clear that the XP machine cannot find the database on the Win 7 machine”. I think I know what you mean but, technically, it is FSC’s Database Manager on the XP machine that cannot find the copy of FSX’s scenery configuration file on the Win 7 machine. Allow me to attempt to draw a picture with words.

On the left side of a sheet of paper, visualize your Win 7 machine. On this machine (your Primary rig) resides 2 pieces of software: FSX including a copy of its scenery configuration file deposited inside FSX’s main folder/directory), and FSUIPC (which is a module sitting in FSX’s Module folder (unless it’s different for FSX but I doubt it). That’s all. (and we both know that there’s lots of other stuff but for the purpose of this exercise, lets agree to push everything else ‘off the table’ temporarily).

On the right side of the same sheet of paper, visualize you XP machine. On this machine (your Secondary rig) resides 3 pieces of software: FSC, the FSC Database Manager, and WideFS.

In a functioning scenario, a flightsim session would entail starting FSX on the Primary computer (your Win 7 machine) That’s all. Then to benefit from FSC’s wonderful features, on the Secondary computer (your XP machine), starting WideFS then FSC. That’s it.

Before this scenario can work however, the database that FSC uses must be built, otherwise it will refuse to function. So the first attempt to get this scenario working consists of starting FSCDbManager85.exe and allowing it to build the database required by FSC. Placing a shortcut to the Database Manager on the desktop of the secondary computer will facilitate access to the program which not only must be run before the first use of FSC but every time scenery files are adjusted in FSX (additions, deletions and modifications of any sort). Otherwise, any change to FSX’s scenery will be unknown to FSC.

Assuming that the three pieces of software on the Secondary computer have been properly installed (FSC, FSC’s Database Manager and WideFS) and that the virtual drives are setup properly, this scenario should work. If it doesn’t, then the most likely cause, based on my experience, is that the network drives are not set up properly and therefore must first be disconnected then remapped.

My five cents’ worth may very well sound elementary but sometimes, it is best to take a simplistic approach which is often clearer and therefore easier to understand. I hope you agree.

Lastly, I want to offer feedback on your second sentence and to comment on the support offered by the creators of FlightSim Commander.

Regarding your second sentence, I simply want to point out that I did not suggest putting the FSX scenery configuration file in the FSC directory of your secondary machine (your XP computer). In line with the authors’ guidance contained in the User Manual, a copy of FSX’s scenery configuration file should be renamed scenerycfg.fsc and placed in FSX’s main directory on the Primary machine (your Win 7 computer).

Regarding user support, I believe and based on feedback I’ve read, so do most users of FSC that Volker and Sascha offer exemplary support. They do however, and rightly so, expect the users of their product to use FSC’s User Manual which is an excellent product. It is precise, thorough, well written, available in several languages and automated which not only facilitates nagivating through its contents but also allows its users to continually access the most current version. I agree that reading manuals is probably not what most flightsimmers want to invest their time in and that it does take away, but only initially, hours from our hobby but doing so pays off exponentially. Yes the manual is voluminous but on the other hand, FSC is a complex program offering many features.

All the best,

Jean-Jacques

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure what you mean by Database Manager so I have attached 2 images which I hope will help you.

Please understand I am grateful for all the help I can receive but what upsets me is that Jean-Jacques is working so hard to help me but the only contribution of the people who have written the program is "re-read the manual"; which is less than helpful to say the least.

Jean-Jacques,

Your patience amazes me, I am very grateful for your guidance. I am not giving up, I am just annoyed that you and now Eric are putting in the time and the people I would have expected to help are not. Again, "re-read the manual" is no help.

I will read your comments carefully and try to apply them. I have reached the point where I wonder if not finding the right files is because I have not turned the machines on in the correct sequenceso I have tried switching an and running FSX and then switching on and running FSC. Didn't work.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem lies with the FSUIPC, have I put the files in the right place?

With your help we will succeed.

Thank you,

Tregarth

post-35845-128689703137_thumb.jpg

post-35845-128689703141_thumb.jpg

Hallo Tregarth,

after reading through the thread, I see that you keep on blaming Volker for his answer. But for me, your last posting, proves, that you have not read the manual at all, or only one or two pages. Why I write this? Because you are stating "I am not sure what you mean by Database Manager". If you had read the manual, you would have known, what the Database Manager is, and where it is.

I, personally, do not like your attitude at all.

You keep on blaming the programmers but you yourself do not want to read the manual and "not to spend my time becoming a computer programmer.". A programme as complex as FSCommnader requires the reading of the manual. If you had spent less time complaining and more time with the manual, you would have found the solution to most of your answers.

Regards

Terence

Hello Tregarth,

Thank you for your scrennshots, but that is not what I need. The Databasemanager is needed to build a database with all informations from FSX about Airports, Ils, VOR, Runways... As attachement you will find a screenshot from databasemanager. All you have to do, is to start the databasemanager (...FSC\FSCDbManager8x.exe) and drop down on the left the path to FSX. In my case it is drive Y:\. After this, the databasemanager will automatically recognize the FS Version and change to the FSX mode. You can see that on the right, the recognized FS-Version is red writed. If it is so, let run the databasemanager thats all.

I hope this could help, Please let me know.

Best regards Eric

post-3369-128689703162_thumb.jpg

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your help, which is appreciated.

The reason I was not clear about what you meant is because I have not yet seen it. This morning I have cleaned off the network drives in My Computer and followed pages 100 to 105 of the manual (as I have a number of times before) as closely as I can remembering that the Main machine is running Windows 7.

I show attached an image of "MY Computer" on my XP (client) machine which shows the two new drives which I have created this morning.

According to that image all should work perfectly, but when I go to the FSC shortcut on my my XP Client I see the image shown in "DB Missing". Thus I don't think I am at fault; something else is.

For info, I have set the file sharing properties on the Win7 machine to as wide as I can i.e.wherever I can set the files to be shared I have done so.

Am I the first person to use FSC with Win7? If not, could someone please tell me what settings they are using in Win 7?

Thank you,

Tregarth

post-35845-128689703179_thumb.jpg

post-35845-128689703182_thumb.jpg

Dear Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for all your help, you have done a very good job.

I have had a talk to Eric in Germany this afternoon; he was very good at showing where I had cone wrong - I had mis-read the manual; I should have used C:\Prog Files\ etc. Instead I was using All Programs from the Start Menu so I couldn't find the FSCDbmanager file.

I have written a text for using FSC in Win 7 which I have asked Eric to approve, if it is OK it will go on this forum.

Also, have a look at viewtopic.php?f=54&t=78141&p=476057#p476057

you will be will surprised.

Again, THANK YOU.

Tregarth

Hi Tregarth,

Thanks for your note. If only a small part of my contribution was useful to you, then the effort was worth it. When Eric offered to help, I deliberately stepped back because first, Eric has a good reputation when it comes to solving issues and second, there's nothing worse than having two coaches! I presume you've got a working network now and hope you will agree that the effort was worth it. Congratulations!

I checked the post that you suggested I take a look at. I'm not sure what I should be looking at but if its about using the free version of FSUIPC, I was aware of it. But you don't get all the features of this powerful tool.

All the best,

Jean-Jacques