The simFlight Network Forums
conao

Airports with default settings x higher performance

Hi Burkhard,

Once again, thanks for this great add-on!

I have a question about configuring the airports to show jetways with higher or lower scenery density. According to the manual, this will change the scenery density level required to show the jetways in 52 major airports, right? I assumed that Heathrow was one of them and made some tests there, taking and comparing pictures from above in several density levels, but I found absolutely no differences between the two Communicator settings in any level.

I have just installed v5.2 and upgraded it to v5.2b. Communicator seems to run correctly the Normal_Airports.exe and Faster_Airports.exe files. Am I doing something wrong? Isn't Heathrow one of the modified airports? What should I expect?

Thanks,

Marconi

I don't think it affects the showing of the jetways. It does affect the animation (moving) of the jetways.

Mike

That's the aircraft with more or less animations option, if I understood it right from the manual. But then again, I'm not sure...

Regards,

Marconi

Heathrow was on that list as long it was based on the default airport, the version that comes with 5.2b is a vastly extended one ( it brings Terminal 5 ). It is based on the faster version afaik, but we do not have two versions of that installed. I hope we do not overwrite the new airport through this tool, so do you still have Terminal 5?

Hi Burkhard,

Yes, I have Terminal 5. The airport looks much better than the original FSX EGLL! I have no other add-on for the aiport installed, just for you to know.

In different scenery density levels I get less and less jetways depicted, until they seem to disappear completely at Normal level. However, I get the same number of jetways and exactly at the same places for each level, independent of which config I use in Communicator: Normal or Higher Performance Airports.

Should I try another airport? Which then?

Regards,

Marconi

Try JFK as example, of KSFO. I don't think EGLL is in this tool after the change, but we could do so if desired.

Ok, I'll try it tonight.

Actually, I'm just checking if the function does what I think it does. My understanding is that you have "pushed" the jetways to show in greater numbers only on very high settings of scenery detail with the Higher Performance Airports option. This means that the user can set scenery detail relatively high, e.g. dense or very dense, without the impact in performance due to too many jetways. Is that right?

If it is, I have another question and a wish.

The question is how much that improves performance if I'm already using the aircraft with less animations option, which is supposed to remove the animation of the jetways. The simple drawing of the jetways has also big impact in the performance or it should not matter much once the animations are removed?

The wish is actually the opposite of what the option does. I would like to have an option to make the jetways appear in its full numbers in lower settings of scenery density. Being a jetliner flyer, I'm more interested in the airport than in its surroundings. That's why I love MyTrafficX in the first place. It would be nice to have a good number of jetways showed without the need to set scenery complexity too high, which probably impacts a lot on the performance, due to the increase of buildings in the surroundings, unnecessary in my way of flying. Does it make sense, at least? Is it possible?

Regards,

Marconi

Jetway numbers are effected by the scenery complexity slider not the autogen slider, the Scenery Complexity slider should be moved full right on any computer made in the last 24 months. The complexity slider really doesn't make that much difference to the frame rates, certainly nowhere near as much impact as the autogen slider does anyway.

You are right the biggest frame rate hit is when the jetways all move in unison at the beginning of a session, once they are in place frame rates settle down (or should that be up lol) so selecting the less animations option for the MTX AI removes this annoyance at the start of a flight. If you are at a really big airport in the States though with 70 plus bridges then you will see a significant performance hit even with reduced animations, in this instance you may need to lower the complexity slider, or do as I do and edit the AFCAD's of airports I visit frequently with ADE and completely remove a load of jetways myself, its relatively quick and very easy to do.

Jetway numbers are effected by the scenery complexity slider not the autogen slider, the Scenery Complexity slider should be moved full right on any computer made in the last 24 months. The complexity slider really doesn't make that much difference to the frame rates, certainly nowhere near as much impact as the autogen slider does anyway.

You are right the biggest frame rate hit is when the jetways all move in unison at the beginning of a session, once they are in place frame rates settle down (or should that be up lol) so selecting the less animations option for the MTX AI removes this annoyance at the start of a flight. If you are at a really big airport in the States though with 70 plus bridges then you will see a significant performance hit even with reduced animations, in this instance you may need to lower the complexity slider, or do as I do and edit the AFCAD's of airports I visit frequently with ADE and completely remove a load of jetways myself, its relatively quick and very easy to do.

Good feedback... Thanks Andy! I've also noticed that the Scenery Complexity slider was not having too much of an impact on the frame rates except around big airports. However, I couldn't believe it... :o

I'll check your hint about manually removing the jetways from the AFCADs. It might have a better visual result to remove all jetways from specific sections of the airport, than let FSX remove them ramdomly, which causes a scattered unpleasant result.

Regards,

Marconi

The rest that is affected by the scenery slider is - peanuts. A few dozen buildings, each one draw call only, if you have airports without jetways there is no reason not to have the density slider far right even on low end system. The jetways affect extremely, in Chicago with its 160 jetways I tested them to eat up 90% of the performance - I would go as far as to say that one moving jetway costs more than all airport buildings in O'Hare together.

The rest that is affected by the scenery slider is - peanuts. A few dozen buildings, each one draw call only, if you have airports without jetways there is no reason not to have the density slider far right even on low end system. The jetways affect extremely, in Chicago with its 160 jetways I tested them to eat up 90% of the performance - I would go as far as to say that one moving jetway costs more than all airport buildings in O'Hare together.

Very good to know that, gents! Thanks for your feedback. I never imagined that it was this way.

In that case, Burkhard, I might flip completely my wish to the following: we could have an option that actually removed completely the jetways from those big airports so that we can run the Scenery Complexity slider all the way to the right, without any huge impact in performance. How about that? It's a pity, but if I can't have the jetways without such an impact in performance (already strongly affected by complex payware aircraft), I'd like at least to have all the buildings then. :wink:

Anyways, I learned what I wanted to learn with this post. Thanks!

Regards,

Marconi

This might be an idea for a very few airports... But there isn't much "scenery" at extremely only, and practically all airports can be used at very dense with the MyTraffic mods, or do you still have to go below?

Hi Burkhard,

I have a fairly decent system (I hope... you can judge yourself checking my signature). But with all add-ons for AI traffic, environment, landclass, ground textures, meshes (MTX, REX, UTX, GEX, FSGlobal) and specially a complex payware aircraft, things can get a bit slow during a final approach with anything other than clear skies at a major airport such as Heathrow. It can go below 15 FPS to me so I'm trying to keep it at Dense with Autogen at Normal. I own Heathrow Mega Airport add-on too, but never managed to use it due to performance.

This is not to blame MTX, which actually seems to improve my performance by disabling the jetways animations. But since it's the only one already doing something to the jetways, here's where I'm discussing it. I hate to see the few scattered jetways I get at Dense level and I'd rather go for full or nothing. I wanted to go for full, but after what I learned here, "nothing" seems to be the best approach. Anyways, just some thoughts...

Regards,

Marconi

P.S.: reading some other posts here, I realize that my problem might be Vista! :D

Vista shouldn't be a problem if its a clean install and not a upgrade from XP or earlier :shock:

You do have to install FSX correctly though which in my opinion and many others means installing FSX outside of the default Program Files folders in Vista, so C:\FSX for example (better still on another drive to the OS as well as not in the default folders). Then you need to install FSX and patch it in the correct way too i.e. install FSX from the disks and then run it and load a flight so you are sat in the cockpit read to go, then close FSX down. Next install FSX SP1 then load FSX to a flight read to go in the cockpit again and then exit the same way as previously, Finally install SP2 and you are done. Some say you should reboot between each step too, but I don't think its really necessary but it wont do any harm if one does decide to do this. If you are intending installing FSX Acceleration then you can proceed straight to installing that after installing FSX from the disks and then running it at least once.

Unless a mistake was made, all airport buildings, equipment, facilities, vehicles, etc should show at a scenery density of normal at EGLL.

The jetways can be estimated to be split at 1/3 dense, 2/3 very dense and 3/3 extremely dense (this is just an estimate although I believe more weight is put towards extremely dense). It would only take a few minutes to change this arrangement.

If you own STB you can use it to delete traffic at all other airports while on final to EGLL. By doing so, I gain about 50% (or better) fps.

Vista shouldn't be a problem if its a clean install and not a upgrade from XP or earlier :shock:

You do have to install FSX correctly though which in my opinion and many others means installing FSX outside of the default Program Files folders in Vista, so C:\FSX for example (better still on another drive to the OS as well as not in the default folders). Then you need to install FSX and patch it in the correct way too i.e. install FSX from the disks and then run it and load a flight so you are sat in the cockpit read to go, then close FSX down. Next install FSX SP1 then load FSX to a flight read to go in the cockpit again and then exit the same way as previously, Finally install SP2 and you are done. Some say you should reboot between each step too, but I don't think its really necessary but it wont do any harm if one does decide to do this. If you are intending installing FSX Acceleration then you can proceed straight to installing that after installing FSX from the disks and then running it at least once.

Checked! I always follow NickN's guide to install and optimize FSX, which include all you mentioned above. I have my FSX installed in a Velociraptor hard drive, other than the OS hard drive. It's faster and dedicated to FSX. Vista is also a clean install.

I think I actually have a fairly good performance in FSX, but all those add-ons have a weight in the system, specially in a final to Heathrow with bad weather (and the weather slider at 90NM). Other than that, I should not complain...

Regards,

Marconi

Unless a mistake was made, all airport buildings, equipment, facilities, vehicles, etc should show at a scenery density of normal at EGLL.

The jetways can be estimated to be split at 1/3 dense, 2/3 very dense and 3/3 extremely dense (this is just an estimate although I believe more weight is put towards extremely dense). It would only take a few minutes to change this arrangement.

If you own STB you can use it to delete traffic at all other airports while on final to EGLL. By doing so, I gain about 50% (or better) fps.

You mean the MTX modified EGLL, right? I'm almost sure they don't show up all at Normal in the default airports.

You might have given me the one reason I needed to buy STB! Just a question... does it upgrade MyTrafficBoard or is it another install/add-on?

Thanks,

Marconi

You might have given me the one reason I needed to buy STB! Just a question... does it upgrade MyTrafficBoard or is it another install/add-on?

Never mind... bought and installed!

So Burkhard, it seems that this post has really "paid-off"! Don't forget to send 10% to Kagazi... :wink:

Regards,

Marconi

Marconi, use this version of EGLL located on page 4 of the thread below. Option 1 has one runway dedicated for arrivals and one for departures. Option 2 has both runways open for departures/arrivals. Disable the BR2_EGLL file located in the MTX 5.2b scenery folder and install either option 1 or 2.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78138

Enjoy STB v2. Lots of capabilities so spend some time reading the manual. I never fly or beta test without it!

You mean the MTX modified EGLL, right? I'm almost sure they don't show up all at Normal in the default airports.

This is only true for the newer airports that I updated and were included in 5.2a/b. I checked EGLL and all scenery (except jetways) are set at normal. This should help those who fly at normal density level enjoy the scenery at the airports, minus the fps intensive jetways.

This is only true for the newer airports that I updated and were included in 5.2a/b. I checked EGLL and all scenery (except jetways) are set at normal. This should help those who fly at normal density level enjoy the scenery at the airports, minus the fps intensive jetways.

Yes, I noticed that and I agree, it's a nice feature!

Thanks,

Marconi