The simFlight Network Forums
F.Schmid

Odd and Even Flght Levels

Hi.

I have searched both forum and manual but I have not found any reference about the following situation:

Depending on country/FIR the odd/even rules for flight level differ. E.g.: UW11 from SBGL to SBCF is to be flown on even FL but we can only choose odd FL on FSC. As I always save the flightplans to export them to FSX, it is a little bit annoying to have to correct it manually.

Not a big problem after all but is there some kind of workaround to correct it?

Regards

Schmid

WinXP SP3

FSX SP2

FSC 8.6 + DBM 8.6 downloaded

FSUIPC 4.53 unregistered

Hi Schmid,

I am very sorry, but I somehow cannot confirm what you say in your post. While it is true that UW11 is limited to 25000ft, FS Commander only allows you to set even flight levels.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, UW11 goes west and therefore you must choose an even flight level.

BTW, flight level and altitudes are not saved in a flight plan for reason we have explained various times before.

Regards

Volker

post-9266-128689705422_thumb.jpg

Aloha,

... but in France for example, the rule is North=even, South= odd... and there is often a problem with the choice of flight level in FSComander :?: If you flight to north-east, the rule (in France) is even and not odd :? Example : for a flight between Toulouse and Geneva on UN871, the FL must be 260 and with FSC only 250 or 270 like choice.

Volker

Thank you for your reply.

In fact, similar as what happens in France, as Yvan stated, in Brazil UW11 shall be flown on odd FL.

I don't know if it can be considered on a future release but I believe it would be very hard to determine the FL rules for each country.

Maybe you can add an option, like a checkbox (just a suggestion). FSC could determine the odd/even FL as it already does and if we 'check' the box we could 'invert' FL.

Kind regards

Schmid

Hi Everyone,

since the topic has come up, let me add a general comment.

Currently FS Commander uses the standard ICAO east-west rule to suggest flight levels. So, suppose your aircraft has a cruise flight level of 36000ft (as set in the Aircraft Window). If your going east, the program will automatically reduce this to FL 350 and the spin button allows only for increases/decreases of 2000ft. We realize that this restriction is not very realistic, because there are many country-specifc deviations from the ICAO rule and NATracks often have a separation of only 1000ft. So, we could easily eliminate the restriction and allow for increases/decreases of 1000ft. (1 minute of work; simply through the checking procedure).

But something else is much more important. Whatever FL you set, it really does not make any difference for anything at all inside the program. Even if you chose a FL of -240, it wouldn't do any harm to any functionality in the program. Since FS Commander is not an FMC, any choices of any FL will be fine. The only reason the FL choice is there is that FS requires it for its flight plan, and it has to be in the flight plan for FS' internal ATC. The same, incidentally, for the choice of departure runways and/or parking positions. FS Commander does not need this, but FS does (in order to know where to place your aircraft).

So actually the altitude issue is in some sense a pseudo-problem. To add a personal note, I would kick out the rwy/parking selection, the altitude selection, and also the fuel calculation (which is an algorithmic nonsense) out of the program, but Volker warned me that our users might kill us if we did that.

Regards

Sascha

[sNIP]

The only reason the FL choice is there is that FS requires it for its flight plan, and it has to be in the flight plan for FS' internal ATC.

[sNIP]

Sascha

But isn't that the point? I use FSC to create my flight plan which I then load into FSX and Radar Contact both of which need the Cruise altitude for proper functioning. I would hate to have to manually modify the FSC produced flight plan for the proper altitude. If you elect to make a change to accommodate France and Brazil, I suggest setting the initial value based on the east/west odd/even criteria as you do now, but allow it to be adjusted in 1000 foot increments.

So actually the altitude issue is in some sense a pseudo-problem

Yes. I agree with you, it is not a BIG problem anyway. But I also have to agree with Tom and that is the reason why I started this thread.

It would be perfect if FSC could determine the correct FL for each leg. As a simplified solution, maybe we could change FL in 1000 ft steps.

... but Volker warned me that our users might kill us if we did that.

Oh, no! We would miss you very much! :D

Best regards

Schmid