The simFlight Network Forums

change throttles via button from normal to reverse?

Hello,

I have a thought if it is possible to assign a joystick button which changes the throttle to reverse?

I know about all the reverse zones which could be programmed with FSUIPC, but its not real handy for me....

So I have thought the best way could be to change the whole throttle via a button to reverse.

I have a Saitk X52 which is having a big button on the top of the throttle.

Till now I land, throttle down (flare) and then press just the button which is assigned to F2 (fast decrease)

But more handy would be if I could land, throtlle down and then, while I press the button, the engines go into reverse via the throttle and I can control them with the throttle. (button pressed: throttle up - reverse up, throttle down - reverse down; button unpressed: normal throttle)

Hopefully you do understand what I mean, Pete?

Do you think that makes sense or do you think this is possible to implement in a way?

thank you very much!

Because I like the "zones" that the X52 have already implemented for normal throtteling.

The steps between the zones are to inaccurate for me...

I can't say at all, but then I like the solution with F2 more then the reverse zones.

But my above idea could be very good I think, if it is possible

I know about all the reverse zones which could be programmed with FSUIPC, but its not real handy for me....

A separate reverser lever would be better, if you have a spare lever.

But more handy would be if I could land, throtlle down and then, while I press the button, the engines go into reverse via the throttle and I can control them with the throttle. (button pressed: throttle up - reverse up, throttle down - reverse down; button unpressed: normal throttle)

It would feel rather odd, wouldn't it, pushing the throttles forward to get increasing reverse thrust?

Anyway, it is no doubt possible, but you could only do that by program, or Lua plug-in, using the same technique as used for Fly-by-wire. One way is this:

1. Whilst the button is pressed, disconnect the throttle(s) altogether via offset 310A. You need to write to that offset regularly or it resets in about 10 seconds.

2. Read the throttle values from the offsets provided (332E and following)

3. Negate the values (but limit to -4096 (25% thrust) or whatever the reverse % thrust limit is for your aircraft) and write them to the throttle offsets (088C etc).

You should of course take precautions, like only take note of the button (whether pressed or released) when the throttle is idle (value 0). In the Lua plug-in you could be in a continuous loop with a sleep of, say, 50 or 100 mSecs for a reasonably response. Don't forget to reconnect the throttles, via 310A, when the button is released (and the throttle is at idle again).

Regards

Pete

-SNIP-

It would feel rather odd, wouldn't it, pushing the throttles forward to get increasing reverse thrust?

-SNIP-

Regards

Pete

That is the way reverse pitch is implemented on the Constellation. The red reverse pitch levers on the throttles are pulled back

and then the throttles are advanced to increase RPM with the props in the reverse pitch region.

On the B-377 it is entered by pulling the throttles back through the idle into the reverse zone.

So, it is a case of "one size doesn't fit all" :)

Paul

• 11 months later...

Hi Pete,

sorry I forgot about that thread...

Now I jumped in again and stuck with offset 310A

I have a simple LUA containing

ipc.writeUB(0x310A, 8)

and nothing else.

This should normally disable the throttle, right?

What happens here is, that aileron and elevator are disabled for 10 seconds, but throttle and rudder are working.

And I have tried several values instead of the "8" and nothing changes...

my FSUIPC version is 4.637

thank you very much,

Günter

I have a simple LUA containing

ipc.writeUB(0x310A, 8)

and nothing else.

You should really read it and OR bit 3 in, in case other programs or add-ons are using the other bits. In other words:

ipc.writeUB(0x310A, logic.Or(ipc.readUB(0x310A),8))

However, even so ...

This should normally disable the throttle, right?

What happens here is, that aileron and elevator are disabled for 10 seconds, but throttle and rudder are working.

And I have tried several values instead of the "8" and nothing changes...

Sorry, this makes no sense to me and it isn't reproducible here. I need more information. Please enable IPC write and Axis logging, and also Monitor 310A ("normal log" selection, type U8) to the log, and show me the log fragment relating to this.

Regards

Pete

will send you my log via mail...

I have found this little section inside the log:

152179 WRITElua 310A,   1 bytes: 08                                               .
   152179 Monitor IPC:310A (U8) = 8
   152179 WRITElua 310A,   1 bytes: 03                                               .
   152241 Monitor IPC:310A (U8) = 3

does it write "8" AND "3" ???

I have also changed my LUA to your suggestion

ipc.writeUB(0x310A, 8)

very interested what you can see out of my logfile...

thanks very much,

Günter

ooooooh nooooo, disregard!!!

Have found the error (was between my two ears).

Things were screwed up...

I'm very sorry to steal your time with this.

I don't know why I just see the error AFTER posting here in this forum.

Have searched excessive before...

So, I'm going on with this reverser thing ;-)

ok, just to complete this thread if anyone is interested:

I managed to get it working.

I could press a button and pull the throttle forward what is then acting as reverser.

Full throttle means then about 50% N1 reverse thrust.

Unfortunaltely I found out, that the most complex addons use some other kind of reverse thrust.

Most work well with pressing "F2" but not then with my LUA. Don't know why. Tried several ways to get it solved.

So I gave up, because that is really not #1 of my list :wink:

Just wanted to try it a bit...

Unfortunaltely I found out, that the most complex addons use some other kind of reverse thrust.

Most work well with pressing "F2" but not then with my LUA. Don't know why. Tried several ways to get it solved.

Usually you have to get to idle (zero thrust) before reverse will engage. So when changing the use of your throttle lever, send a zero value, or maybe easier the THROTTLE CUT control (as assigned to F1 by default). With some FS9 aircraft I found then sending the THROTTLE DEC control (same as your F2) ensured success.

So, when changing to reverse thrust mode, send Throttle Cut and Throttle Decr, just the two. When changing back, send Throttle Cut, Throttle inc. I think you'll find that works well enough. The rest of the operation will be okay on the lever.

Regards

Pete

So, when changing to reverse thrust mode, send Throttle Cut and Throttle Decr, just the two. When changing back, send Throttle Cut, Throttle inc

Hello Pete, thanks for the hint.

But I have tried both...

I will have a look into it again if there's time.

MD11 was working, but A2A B377 or J41 not.

All three work with "F2" reversers, but maybe theres a difference between jetengines and propellers?

Maybe I will try with some propeller-offsets again...

All three work with "F2" reversers

But all F2 does, by default, is send "Throttle Decr" controls.

But if they do their own throttle operation by intercepting the Axis ThrottleN Set controls, ignoring the older ThrottleN Set controls, they do not have axis-based reverse. Only the ThrottleN Set controls go from 0 to +16k for forward, with -ve values for reverse. The Axis ThrottleN Set controls, as assigned in FS itself by default, work -16k idle to +16k full thrust. In other words no reverse thrust on axis.

but maybe theres a difference between jetengines and propellers?

Props normally do reverse thrust by reverse pitch, don't they? Not throttle? i.e negative Prop Pitch values? But that wouldn't be F2 then.

Sorry, I've never really messed with Props. I fly a Piper Arrow for VFR on my Aerosoft (Oz) panel, just for fun. And there's no reverse of one of those.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete, thanks for the hint.

But I have tried both...

I will have a look into it again if there's time.

All three work with "F2" reversers, but maybe theres a difference between jetengines and propellers?

Maybe I will try with some propeller-offsets again...

Guenter, I have two small Lua plugins that implement the thrust reverse on the

A2A B-377. I use a detent switch on my throttle quadrant to call the routines.

The first routine is named "B377_reverse.lua"

i = 0
   ipc.keypress(112)
   ipc.sleep(250)
while i < 14 do
   ipc.keypress(113)
    ipc.keypress(113)
	ipc.keypress(113)
   ipc.sleep(50)
   i = i + 1
end

The second routine is named "B377_exit_revers.lua"

i = 0
while i < 15 do
   ipc.keypress(114)
      ipc.sleep(50)
	ipc.keypress(114)
   ipc.sleep(50)
   i = i + 1
end

The plugins merely send the F1, F2 and F3 keystrokes, as required,

to obtain a smooth transition in and out of the reverse state.

In my Saitek Pro dual throttle quadrant setup I have programmed my

#4 throttle detent switch to trigger the 1st plugin when I pull the

throttles back to the detent and the 2nd plugin when I push the

throttles forward out of detent.

The number of times the loops execute and the delays can be

"tweaked" to your linking.

Paul